JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have never seen a Colt M4 or 6920 loose it's value. I have one myself, but I cannot speak to how nice it actually is since I have not been able to fire it. I know it sure is fun to hold and I am betting it will be as fun to shoot.

I personally am not much interested in EBR's but I thought I better get a couple while I still could.

note you said "AR15s" so you might want a real one since the only real ar15s are early colts that say "ar15" everything else is a clone

early 3 digit or less (60s) colt sp1s all original

colt m4 marked rifles as they are the only true M4s all others are clones

colt gov carbines trasistional ones these had the a2 enhancements but small pin fcg holes

colt carbine marked colts

I would go Colt for a collector rifle. Personally I would go an early SP1 also, there are a lot of buzz names out there that go for lots of money because people will pay lots of money for the name, will the the price stand the test of time? A Noveske AR10 lower goes for $600 to $700, guess what, it rolled off the same production line at Armalite as my $165 Armalite AR10 lower, an extra $500 for an Aryan Brotherhood roll mark.:D

True it is just a rollmark on the lower, but pitting an armalite, rra, oly, bushy up to a top shelf rifle is just unfair. 6920 or any of the preban colts will gain in value faster IMO.

if it don't have a pony its a phony

also there are some odd ball colts out there that add collectability like the colt gaurd nickel plated rifles

Wow there's a lot of Colt kool-aid getting served up over here...

Not that there's anything wrong with that, Colts are great, and may well hold resale value better than some ARs. However who knows what the future market will be like for such things.

Just to throw it out there, there are several "tier 1" complete rifles and uppers out there that will serve just as well as a Colt. (IMO)

Novekse
LMT
Sabre Defense
Bravo Company USA (uppers only for now)
LaRue

As I said there's nothing wrong with Colt, they certainly have all features you typically want in an AR.

There are other offerings out there though, some with slightly different features out of the box (barrel length & material, gas systems, iron sights, handguards, stocks - do you want to leave it stock M4 style, or trick it out... or..?).

Do your homework and figure out what it is you're looking for in an AR... I would seek out features I'm interested in over resale value.

Links with info to help you make an educated purchase:

"So you want to buy an AR-15, Huh? - Officer.com
Another AR buyer's guide

Even more to wade through

ETA: Bear in mind, ARs and parts are in very high demand at the moment and I would jump on any decent deal I could find - though there have been greater numbers of EBRs staying on shelves a bit longer these days so you may well have some choice.

Besides the Colts that have been mentioned, an S&W M&P "PC" might be a good choice.

PC stands for "Performance Center". These are all hand built by master level gunsmiths from the unfinished forgings on up, each piece hand fit toward ultimate buildup and final assembly testing.

Rare and expensive.

Besides the Colts that have been mentioned, an S&W M&P "PC" might be a good choice.

PC stands for "Performance Center". These are all hand built by master level gunsmiths from the unfinished forgings on up, each piece hand fit toward ultimate buildup and final assembly testing.

Rare and expensive.
Yaaaaaaaaah not so much. They are made by Stag Arms and Smith & Wesson only put their name on them

S&W makes the M&P 15 in-house now... original run(s) were built from CMT/Stag sourced parts.

Haven't seen the performance center M&P 15s... I'll have to check those out.

ETA: Yeah, for the price those aren't really my cup of tea though I'm sure the fit is quite nice.

Colt 6920 is the best option if you want an AR to keep and collect.

I build ARs everyday, and the 6920 is what I have as my "Safe Queen"

I have dozens of shooters, but I only use my M16 if I go shooting.

The 6550 would be better, but good luck finding one for a reasonable price.

Colt maked several collectible ARs, the SP1 is good and pretty easy to find.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top