JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Any tips on the best method to color fill ATF-spec engravings? I've read of everything from Crayolas to nail polish to epoxy...

I'm leaning towards either a paint crayon like this https://www.mcmaster.com/2018T3/ or carefully applying an enamel with a toothpick or similar. I've never used a paint crayon & I'm not sure if you can simply wipe away the excess quickly after rubbing it on.

Very interested in hearing thoughts from others that have done it themselves.

Steel or aluminum?

My go to at cascade laser always oxidizes aluminum so it never looked engraved in the first place. Steel I usually touch up with a cold blue. Titanium, stays titanium and usually gets cooler looking the more I shoot it.

Raw and oxidized.

0EC0C527-86E5-45A4-8EFB-074B79BCD31E.jpeg D6F1AFA4-9F5D-47E8-A21E-A9080309174E.jpeg

Easy way..
De-grease the area and mask around what you want to paint.
I use a paint pen and don't mess around just follow the pattern.
Use a credit card and wipe the area towards the masked section so it catches the excess.
Remove the tape and let dry a bit then blot the area with some acetone or such.

Thanks, that's very clear. The lettering in engraving is raw. I wonder why the laser didn't oxidize the aluminum in my case?
Not sure. Maybe they offer it, maybe they don't. Birch wood makes a similar compound that can be bought at the store. You can also make your own using bleach and such. Pretty sure Cascade uses a stronger chemical but it is likely similar.
1657907747895.jpeg

If I may, I would suggest having the NFA info engraved above and below the trigger hole. That's how I did mine, keeps the sides of the receiver clean.

If I may, I would suggest having the NFA info engraved above and below the trigger hole. That's how I did mine, keeps the sides of the receiver clean.
Yes, my AR lower is engraved on the trigger guard as they couldn't set up for engraving next to the trigger hole or inside the flare of the magwell.

My pic is of the underside of a (serialized) B&T APC9 upper receiver. Hypothetically, a person could attach a foregrip to the pic rail and it'd cover the engraving....

Yes, my AR lower is engraved on the trigger guard as they couldn't set up for engraving next to the trigger hole or inside the flare of the magwell.

My pic is of the underside of a (serialized) B&T APC9 upper receiver. Hypothetically, a person could attach a foregrip to the pic rail and it'd cover the engraving....
Your engraving is on the trigger guard itself? It's supposed to be on the barrel, frame or receiver..........

Your engraving is on the trigger guard itself? It's supposed to be on the barrel, frame or receiver..........
Yes, it's not a mil-spec lower. The trigger guard integral to the receiver.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top