JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey..

I'm wondering what y'all have used for a metal protectant for a neglected 'truck' gun. I've got an SKS I'd like to stick under the back seat of my pickup. I know it will go months without me even looking at it. I've done this in the past, and been dismayed to find a lot of rust when I pulled the rifle out after months of sitting.

I know the right thing is to clean and oil it weekly or something, but I also know I'm not going to do that.

Anyone have any first hand knowledge of a bombproof metal protectant for a truck gun?

Thanks,
Mark

I like silicone based sprays because they don't attract water and they dry without an oily resudue so you can just spray on another coat if need be. BUT DO NOT spray it where you will get blow back in your eyes that stuff will burn so bad you'll want to pull your eyes out

any steel preservative... PB blaster or Marvel Mystery Oil mixed into your regular lube, wipe it down leaving it a bit on the damp side.. try to re-wipe it as often as you can.

other than that, if you're going to treat a gun like that, you basically just need to expect the expectable.

Cosmoline. :D

that said I have had good luck with Boeshield T9. Seems to do a decent job. I use it for other things so I usually have a can or 3 laying around.

Here is some info you might want to take a look at. Not super scientific, but will give you some help, maybe.

That said, just get in the habit of just taking the gun out and wiping it down every month. It will go a long ways and takes about 4minutes of your time.

Bore Stores by far the best thing to put your gun in if it ain't in a safe with a dry rod.

Bore-Stores Soft Protective Cases

I have 3 guns of my father's.A 1900+- T Barker single shot 410 ($25 at Sears!),a 1950s M94 Winchester,and a Ithaca under/over shot gun.

I had to store them at my sister's under a bed in a case for 3 years.None of them suffered any pitting or any rust at all.
Plus they protect the gun from scratches and dirt/dust

broch3.jpg

If you don't want to plate it, and you don't want to have Cosmoline making it sticky, messy and difficult to fire: Eezox. Hands down.
<broken link removed>

With some tests:
Corrosion Protection Products for Rifles, Shooting, Benchrest Competition, Varminting and Firearms Storage
The Gun Zone -- Corrosion Test
gun butter? - Ruger Forum
Eezox Rusting Prevention Test ...

Have no personal experience how about Gunbutter? Saw a claim it's even better than Eezox. <broken link removed>
Haven't seen independent tests yet.

+1000 for Eezox. I have used this for several years now.

I use to use hoppes 9 and remoil, NEVER again.

I will ONLY use EEZOX on All my firearms.

I read this test online, and figured it was to good to be true, so I tried it myself.
Corrosion Protection Products for Rifles, Shooting, Benchrest Competition, Varminting and Firearms Storage

I took some bare flat steel bar, took some steel wool to it, and tried several different types of cleaner, lube, and grease. Eezox came out clean.

I tried hoppes, remoil, militec-1, mobil-1, and wd-40.

I figured here in Oregon, it rains a lot, so why not try it myself. I had all the above lubes lying around, so why not.

This is my Personal Opinion on this product, you can try and use whatever you feel is best.

Stay Safe.

Thanks for all the replies. I like the idea of coating, but the cost of it would dang near exceed the cost of the rifle.
I think that after reading all the handy links y'all posted, I'm going to get and try some Eezox and stuff the rifle in a Bore store, to keep it from accumulating french fries.

Cosmoline. :D

that said I have had good luck with Boeshield T9. Seems to do a decent job. I use it for other things so I usually have a can or 3 laying around.

Here is some info you might want to take a look at. Not super scientific, but will give you some help, maybe.

That said, just get in the habit of just taking the gun out and wiping it down every month. It will go a long ways and takes about 4minutes of your time.

I used boeshield on my cast iron table saw. No rust issues at all.
You can spray it down and leave it for long term storage.

Thanks for all the replies. I like the idea of coating, but the cost of it would dang near exceed the cost of the rifle.
I think that after reading all the handy links y'all posted, I'm going to get and try some Eezox and stuff the rifle in a Bore store, to keep it from accumulating french fries.

Hey,the french fry grease may help preserve it :s0155:

billcoe made my post, along with the supporting links I reference to others!

I've used Eezox for a long time. It's a bt tricky. The first coat never seems to really dry. I wipe it off after a day, then put on a couple of more thin coats. It brings out a luster to blued guns that's just remarkable.

Eezox in a BoreStore case.

I let my first coat of liberally applied eezox dry for a couple of days in a warm environment, then wipe down, then hand buff.....and then add a couple of additional thinner coats over a couple more days. It can stay sticky on you if you don't pay attention.

I use it on a cast iron table saw I keep outdoors under an open-air carport. That's a pretty good test as cast iron will rust very easily.

I think that Eezox outperforms Boeshield (although that's not a bad product), frequent paste waxing or any other oil or wax I have tried thus far on the tablesaw.

Another not-too-bad product is RIG (Rust Inhibiting Grease). It is easier than Eezox or Boeshield to apply (wipe on/wipe off) and quite a bit cheaper. I used to use it quite a lot in the field during rainy westside hunting. They stopped making it about a year ago, but it now available again at Midway or Brownells. Most the older guys are familiar with it.

I have never had problems with any gun in a Borestore case, even those with run of the mill gun oil such as RemOil as a protectant. I used these extensively for guns stored in unheated and damp garage, attic or other hiding places in the days before I had a real safe.

I don't really care for Eezox as a lube for firearms, it is ok but I think there are better products out there...but for rust proofing the exterior.....its hard to beat and not terribly expensive.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top