JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just for the fun of it let's imagine that only manual action (pump, bolt, lever) rifles were available, which would you choose for self-defense purposes and why? Please choose a currently available option and give details such as the action type, caliber, sights, barrel length, etc. Bonus points if your choice is under $500! :s0155:

Thanks for the reply Buddha. :) For this questions, I'm just looking at rifles though shotguns can obviously can be great defensive tools. By the way, what do you consider to be short and medium range for self-defense situations?

Remington makes a pump-action rifle based on the 870 shotgun design. I think it is the 7600, but don't quote me on that. It comes in either .308 or .223, but I would definitely take the .223 for self defense, for the simple reason that it accepts AR style mags. If I only get one choice in this scenario, I take the 30 round pmags and this rifle. No bonus points for me though. The cheapest I have seen these rifles is about $600. If anybody knows of one cheaper, let me know....;)

I'd probably choose a Marlin 1894C in .357 Mag. The one I have is pretty handy, good capacity (9 rounds) and decent performance.

I'm not sure what it'd be like firing a 30.30 or .308 inside of the house or how realistic that would work for self defense. In terms of range, how far out do you get to shoot & still have it considered self defense? I can imagine long-range scenarios, but I thought most self defense situations were at shorter ranges?

ruger 10-22 with a 2 50 rounds inverted to each other taped together. good compact weapon with a very high kill rate less then 220.00 plus 30 for clips.
Doo I get double bonus points for being less then 250.00

Spray,
I believe that this is what you are thinking of: http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire_rifles/model_7615_tactical.asp and I agree that it has a lot going for it! :)

Sun,
"Pistol caliber" long guns for self-defense make a lot of sense to me and even more so with the .357. I haven't been able to find an 1894c to put my hands on, much less shoot ( may I put a few round through yours sometime? ;) ) but they do seem like a very good option. If choosing one, I'd prefer to loose a round of capacity in exchange for a shorter barrel, have better (pistol or ghost-ring) sights put on and get plastic furniture. I'd also love to have a "big loop" 336 lever and stock but sadly have not seen that option available...

well, the Ruger 10/22 would be a choice, except that the rules of this little brain tweaker eliminate all autoloaders......

for home defense, close in scrapping, I'd think the Browning Model 92 in .357 would be a good choice.. and I happen to have one. Haven't used it much, but I suspect it would be fairly usable to in excess of 100 yds, is short and handy enough to use indoors or other close quarters. No bonus points for me, though, as a decent one should run in the mid-6's to mid-7's. (I got mine, as new, for $750 all in).

Now if we're talking a combat/tactical weapon for longer range defense of a home position from "invaders", I'd think my Sako 7mm Rem Mag would serve nicely... or the same in a .300 WSM. Both are extremely flat shooting, and have a very useful range of 300 yds plus, and in favorable conditions can reach out to, well, I've heard stories of a thousand yards..... but I'll take at least a teaspoon of salt along with that. Again, no bonus, as these are a bit more dear than the half-yard mark.

Perhaps something else to consider, and I don't have one yet but am keeping my eyeballs peeled..... could be had for well under the $500 mark in excellent condition.... the venerable old 6.5 Swede Mauser design military rifles. I've known of deer kills, one shot dropped in his tracks, at 400 yards, reliably. Short and light enough would serve well in relatively close quarters, light enough to pack all day without developing two hernias..... likely one of the most consistently accurate rifles ever built. Rather pretty, too, in their own way. Funny thing, too, a C&R license is all one needs to obtain one with minimal fuss, and they'd look just like an old relic or curio hanging above the fireplace in the living room...... keep the bolt removed but handy, and a full clip. Ten seconds you're ready for action. Take it to the field, it's a very potent weapon. Somewhat of a sleeper......

I can see a .22 as having some things going for it at typical defensive ranges but *only* if it was an auto-loader with a "high" capacity magazine and other more preferable calibers were not available. But as we're talking manual action and do not have a caliber restriction, no thanks! :)

On a related note (and please keep answering the first question too!) what do folks suggest with these qualifications in mind:
- bolt-action
- rugged iron sights, preferably either pistol or ghost-ring
- synthetic stock
- 16-18 inch barrel
- 5+ round magazine capacity
- ability to accept detachable magazines preferred particularly if they are FAL, M-14 etc

I can't get into your price range with anything I'd really like. For dreaming, I'd like a Remington 7600 pump in .308 with the 16" barrel. This has the same action as the proven 870 shotgun.

Just for me, a pump would be faster than a bolt or lever.

Add a couple of oversized mags and an Advanced Technology stock, and you get this:

remiiii.jpg

OOOOooohhh, black and ugly. Get it quick, before it gets obammed, er, banned..... those assault weapons, you know.

but isn't that what these guns are for? Defending yourself in the event of an assault?

I have to agree with the 357 lever gun. I've got an old Win. 94 30-30, and I'd use that in a heartbeat. But for close range, I'd prefer a little bigger bullet diameter and bigger mag capacity. My 94 is short, quick to reload, and recoil is fairly light. A slip-on Limbsaver lengthens it out to a decent length and nearly eliminates recoil. I think I bought my 30-30 for $250 in nice shape, $40 for the pad, and another $30 for a set of Williams Fire sights brings the total 320.

I had the Rem mod 760 pump in .308 with the 18in bbl...short, long, or inbetween, it can be really fast shooting!
Can find these pretty cheap, too.
Called the model 760C Blue Book lists 80% @$300.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads