JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have not had the Chinese variant but have had all the rest, Russian, East German and Bulgarian. As has been previously reported they all shoot about the same but there are quality differences. The East German is the highest quality, especially the Suhl variant and the finish on all of the East German Maks is simply superior. Also with the East German design of the hand grips insures that it gives the flatest and most desireable concealed carry. The Russian model with the adjustable sights is to be avoided, in my opinion. It functions just like all the rest, is the cheapest but those sights present problems as has been previously discussed by North Bender. Now the Russian Model PM is the military issue and is just dandy. A bunch of those had Bulgarian overstamped markings and work just fine. I would say this model is the second most desireable. All variations of the Bulgarian models are typical but some corners have been cut with cheesy handgrips but the parts are interchangeable with all other Maks. The Bulgarians are built like an anvil. I think the weak point with Maks nowadays is ammo. You can purchase 9mm cheaper.

I have aPA-63 that my dad bought for me about 16 years ago. Carried it concealed for awhile. Not too finiky of a pistol, but has a lot of little parts when broken down. It's been a good pistol and I have had zero issues with it. Nice and solid and will chew up any random 9x18 I throw at it. Pobably about 600 rounds through total.

Hey dieselscout, what are the specs on your scout? I've had nine IH's but not for years, I really miss them.

Not to muck up the thread too much, but I've got a 1980 Scout II Traveler that came with the original turbo diesel. I drove it like that for quite sometime, but about 18 months ago the diesel blew two pistons and 3500 bucks for a rebuild didn't look that great when I had a fresh built 392 sitting in another project not doing anything. So I am in the middle of a motor swap on it right now, waiting for the weather to improve and my parents to finish their bathroom remodel so I can get it back in the garage. Between my Dad and I we own 6 IH's down from 8. I also had a 1965 Scout 80 that was built to compete in the W.E.Rock series as a stock mod entry, but I sold that to help buy a house.

Of the several Maks I have had, my East German is the one I kept. Well made, well finished, accurate and easy to shoot despite the rather miniscule (by modern standards) sights. It points naturally for me. The size and weight are just right and it will always be one of my favorite pistols.

For a priced-right Mak these days, the Bulgarian is worth consideration.

The CZ, while chambering the 9x18, is not a Mak as such, but is a different pistol with its own virtues...but it is not a Makarov.

The most appealing part of shooting Maks used to be the wide availability of cheap surplus ammo (to say nothing of the cheaply priced pistols themselves). That is no longer the case. Now, only Wolf steel cased ball is priced competitively with ordinary and reloadable 9mm (9x19) factory ammo

The better quality 9x18 fare is priced much higher.

Maks used to be the wide availability of cheap surplus ammo (to say nothing of the cheaply priced pistols themselves). That is no longer the case. Now, only Wolf steel cased ball is priced competitively with ordinary and reloadable 9mm (9x19) factory ammo

The better quality 9x18 fare is priced much higher.

That is wildly incorrect. I don't know if you can even buy newly made Wolf ammo, but there are a lot of other options.

As for the ammo issue, I have noticed that what used to be 'cheap commie-block' ammo is now priced more like boxer-primed 9x19 ammo. Because of this I sacrificed 500 or so of my 9x19 brass and trimmed the cases down to 9x18 and then reloaded them. They are 100% reliable and very accurate and now I can shoot all I want on the cheap.

ya might consider a Mak in .380...Ammo available and if ya do buy one in 9x18 you can have it re-barreled with a .380 barrel.Everything else will work with it like the mags,holster etc.....Just a thought

That is wildly incorrect. I don't know if you can even buy newly made Wolf ammo, but there are a lot of other options.

You may be right about Wolf. I said Wolf but meant Brown Bear, so I admit that error. Sorry, but, in my day, we tended to lump all communists together.:s0114:

I buy steel case 94 gr/fmj Brown Bear at my local shop for under $10.99...or 22 cents/rd.....competititive with ordinary reloadable brass cased Rem/UMC made 115 gr/fmj in 9x19 that goes for $11.97 on sale at BiMart at 24 cents/rd.

Brown Bear is similarly priced online as is Tula. Neither of which I consider as cheap as the surplus ammo available only a couple years ago that was as good or better, corrosive priming notwithstanding. I also consider neither of "better quality". My point was that cheap ammo these days is limited to the steel cased current production stuff and even that isn't even that cheap any more. And thus the cheapness of shooting the Mak is disappearing, unless you go with the steel cased stuff....which is on par with 9x19 American made brass cased ammo in terms of price. So why not just shoot a 9x19 if cheap ammo is a primary consideration?

As far as better quality is concerned, like S&B, Privi, Winchester, Blazer and other... most of these well exceed 30 cents/rd for mere practice quality ammo. If you know of a brass cased 9x18 that is priced comparably to cheap 9x19, I would appreciate knowing about it.

Natty:

You made me look. 9x19 is a caliber I've skipped on my way from 9x18 to 45acp and 45 Colt.

So - after a quick search I admit to being a bit whipped. I quickly found Berdan primed (Russian) 9x19 ammo at $10/box and brass cased boxer primed at $12/box. I didn't realize ammo was that cheap; I've been away for a bit. I think the 9x18 brass-cased reloadable ammo is around $12 - $13 a box.

How 'bout those Mariners?

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top