JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Ok here is the situation I am lazy, I have a few guns I don't really plan on shooting for a long time. Old Winchester pump, savage 99e, old shotguns a few others I want to keep them in good condition.

Had an idea to spray some type of oil all over them after cleaning (maybe other product?) and then vacume seal them when the wife is gone (don't this she would approve of this use of the kitchen vacume sealer)

So coated in oil and vacume sealed think I could get 5 years between maintenance?

Currently I have them sprayed down with rem oil and sacked up in those silicon rifle socks. And basically I want to get them real clean and forget about them.

Any suggestions, ideas or other nonsense? yes I know this all comes down to me being lazy but I am what I am :)

Steven

Since I am such a nice guy I'll let you store them in my safe. It is humidity controlled and has a 4 hour Fire rating (inside temp stays below 150 degrees). I'll even come up and get them. You don't have to lift a finger. How great is that!
Mike

You are on the right track, but the oil is a bad idea. Soaks into the wood, and eventually softens
it. The traditional coating for long term storage is cosmoline. Available from Brownell's.
There is probably something out there now that is easier to remove than $#@*& cosmoline!
Do a google on "long term firearms storage"----lots of hits. Here is a link that lists several:

Hiding Guns -- Long Term Storage of Guns

I'm sure there are lots of solutions to this question. But I just clean them throughly, then use a good gun grease to lightly coat the inside of the barrel. Put them up in the socks and you should be good to go unless you live in a high hummidy climate like Florida. I do have a light coat of oil on the metal outside parts also.

Warning!!!! You must, must, must clean the grease out of the barrel before you shoot your guns. If not BOOM!

I like the Silcone socks also.

In Oregon this works well for me.

The cosmoline solution works for very long term storage but is a very difficult to get off once you decide to use the guns.

RIG would be the antirust product you want to use on the Metal. On the wood use nothing.

As to using the vacuum sealer where does the oil go when its pushed out of the bag? Right into your vacuum machine. Not the best idea IMHO.

I have firearms that have sat on an open rack with a little bit of LSA gun oil wiped on the metal inside and out for 10 years with no deterioration.

But then I have a dry house

Wow poly bags are spendy, wonder how they would fair with a liberal coating of motor oil and then vac sealed with food grade bags, and no worries about getting oil into sealer I will clean up real good before wife gets home :)

Steven

Wow poly bags are spendy, wonder how they would fair with a liberal coating of motor oil and then vac sealed with food grade bags, and no worries about getting oil into sealer I will clean up real good before wife gets home :)

Steven

About $4.85 a bag for the 10x58 bags is not bad to me for good VCI protection.....

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top