JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey guys just wondering if there's any better scope out there for long range under 1500 bucks that the Leupold cds vx6. 4-24x52mm. I have a leupold now and like it any others have more zoom with cds? What do you like and why?

As long as it's a first focal plane, with matching turrets/reticle; I'm good with it.

That's why I left Leupold, to many mis-matched stuff. The Weaver #800363 is VERY good glass, that punches above it's class. Been using it to a mile for a while now.

Hey guys just wondering if there's any better scope out there for long range under 1500 bucks that the Leupold cds vx6. 4-24x52mm. I have a leupold now and like it any others have more zoom with cds? What do you like and why?

Any scope that you can hit your target with is a good scope. You can miss with a $2000 scope as easy as you can with a $20 scope. and vice versa. Learn to use what you have and if it is sound, make it work for you.

Leupold vx-6 4-24 is whats on my hunting rifle. fantastic optic. Honestly the VX-6 line can not be touched. Just as crisp and clear as the top euros (swaro's/zeiss/etc) as a fraction of the cost. plus they are made right here in oregon. Can't beat it.

Now if you want to do some real long range hunting, get the leupold vx-6 7-42 :)

Vortex Razor 5-20x50 scopes have been steeply discounted with the release of Gen 2 models. I saw them somewhere at under $1,300, but here is an ad at $1,400:

Previous to this these scopes were discounted to ~$2,000

If you don't need a zoom or extra features, the SWFA 10x scope at $300 is as good or better than most scopes in the $1,500 range.

I've found that at any distance a higher power scope pays dividends. I've never shot beyond 600 yards but have to assume more power is better at 1,000 yards. So I think limiting yourself to 24x is not the way to go.

Nightforce makes a couple of BR model scopes, 8-32x and 12-42x that meet your $1,500 limit but neither have a CDS option. These scopes are used extensively on accurate rifles out to 1,000 yards. I purchased a 15-55x Competition model and it is the best scope I have ever looked through. I use it on a 6PPC out to 300 yards and since I bought it my groups have improved over the 8-32x scope I had on it before. I got lucky and picked up a 2013 model for $1600. (Since I criticize Leupold below, to be fair Nightforce had problems with this scope when they introduced it. If buying a used 2013 model, make sure it was produced later in the production run.)

Sightron makes an 8-32x and 10-50x scope that both meet your dollar limit but again no CDS option I know of. Doubt anyone other than Leupold offers it. I have two of the 8-32x models and they are very good scopes that I would take over any Leupold 6-24x scope. Glass is as good and the 32x power can be dialed back to 24x if needed.

Let Leupold use other people to beta test their new 7-42x scopes. I'm hearing all sorts of problems on Accurateshooter.com and Benchrest Central regarding this scope. I'm sure they will figure it out, but I wouldn't buy one for another year or so.

more is better, up to a point.

it is very easy to have way too much scope. i have a Sightron 36x and it is totally overkill for 1000 yards, let alone 600.

8x is completely sufficient for 600 yards. i do it with my m1 garand.

24x is a good compromise.

i also have leupold scopes and always feel like they're overpriced for what you get.

Ever looked at Shepard scopes? Had one on 300 win mag for 15 years or so now. Dual reticles. If something breaks inside they show you. Bullet drop compensate with distance calibrated circles out to 1000 yards.

It's been a solid scope for around $600. [there $800 now].

Last Edited:
i picked up a viper pst 6-24x50 ffp with ebr-2c for extreme long range target shooting. for $949 it's an amazing scope.

This was my choice as well.
http://www.opticsplanet.com/vortex-viper-pst-6-24x50-ffp-riflescope.html

I wanted first focal plane because I wanted to learn mil ranging. A FFP makes it much easier to determine the difference between 2.1 mil and 2.2 mil because the reticle can be zoomed in.

It has very positive clicks on the turrets. The elevation turret also has shims that prevent you from getting lost when you go to reset zero.

The optics are fine for target shooting and are distortion free. I cannot attest to low light functionality because I haven't tried it.

I was also looking for value. I didn't care to drop $3,500+ on a Schmidt & Bender or a Zeiss. This seemed a good value with lots of features and the reviews agree that this is a hell of a scope for the money.

EC95F456-7C5F-41E2-822A-3FB0085A42A2-8181-00000B220CDA80EE_zps9e11986b-1.jpg

5be98688bedabafb80d09348d0f2faeb_zpsa73d89b4.jpg

sweet savage but that scope is mounted way high

The center to center height is 2.25" and I can see how looking at the clearance under the objective bell you might say that it was too high. Now look at the clearance at the other end. There is 0.23" under the zoom control. Also, I am a big man and I need the scope forward to see. This prevents good cheek weld on this setup but fixing that is on my to do list.

I am considering adding a Karsten cheek piece. I have about 1" - 1-1/4" between my sight plane and cheek weld.
http://www.karstenskydexcheekrest.com/adjustable-cheek-piece-model-b.html
Anyone have experience with these? Looks like an easy self install to me.

The other option is to lengthen the stock so I can move the scope back and lower. This will put me at 1.75 and I will still need 1/2" to 3/4" of cheek piece.

Last Edited:
I agree with 3MTA3........

The Gen I Vortex Razor 5-20x50 are pretty hard to pass up right now. All the same features as the PST with much better glass, better zero stop and more travel. If you look in the right place they can be had for about $1350.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top