JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
3 best things you can do for a German Shepherd (any dog, really...)
Socialize
Socialize
Socialize

Oh she gets a lot of socialization. A friend, whoms retiree army, of mine takes her everywhere with him while I'm at work or doing kid stuff. She has a very active life.

I was taking her running with me on the road but man the streets in my area are filthy and it seems to be too much of a risk to run a dog on.

My old lab is very much different than this sheperd. He was much calmer but then again I never had him when he was a 1.5 years old. I broke him out of jail when he was 3.

Well if that's the case then I'm old softy you can ask anyone who has been over here these 2 German Shepherd Dogs are mellow fellows and just want you to either scratch their tummy or throw the toy ,And keep in mind once you start you can't stop because you have created a MONSTER by the simple act of being fresh meat

Mine was like that as long as I or my wife were around.
When we were gone or asleep it was duty calls, and he never barked or growled! Just gave that sharks eye. LOL
Actually he would just sit there and watch folks no tail wagging or anything, the one telling me about it said it gave her the creeps!

Mine was like that as long as I or my wife were around.
When we were gone or asleep it was duty calls, and he never barked or growled! Just gave that sharks eye. LOL
Actually he would just sit there and watch folks no tail wagging or anything, the one telling me about it said it gave her the creeps!
You tell her it's supposed to?;)

15622612_2149113555314517_8732159568459697631_n.jpg

Don't be so naive. The media/left has the same attitudes towards pits as they do guns. The same states that are banning pits are also the same that ban guns. Pit bulls were not bred for fighting as to popular belief. The same saying of "guns don't kill people, people do" can be applied here. Yes, a lot of idiots have pits, as they are popular with that crowd, but that does not mean the breed is a bad breed.

A lot of idiots own hondas, and they make them horrible by installing fat rims, cutting the suspension, and replacing mufflers with fart cannons; does not mean that all civics are bad.
Funny thing is, the pit bull owners drive those cars.

3 best things you can do for a German Shepherd (any dog, really...)
Socialize
Socialize
Socialize

And start them young like 8 weeks and on make sure to do lots of it before they reach 16 weeks that is a critical developmental
age for dogs. Start training as soon as you get one as once they learn how to learn from you the better they will learn from then on, this is also critical.
Gabby

We have had Newfoundlands since I was little, also have/ had Goldens and Labs, awesome dogs every one! Neufies need lots of special care due to their size and rapid growth and their grooming needs, but its easy enough if you keep up on it!

We have had Newfoundlands since I was little, also have/ had Goldens and Labs, awesome dogs every one! Neufies need lots of special care due to their size and rapid growth and their grooming needs, but its easy enough if you keep up on it!

One neighbor has a much older pure-black Newfie... great dog! Kinda fragile compared to his exuberant 1yr old shepard tho. :)

(edit: Well, Shadow has a LOT of arthritis, just like me!!!)

Kinda like asking, "what's the best caliber?"
Need more info about your lifestyle and expectations from prospective new dog.

Personally, I like Mastiff breeds. My previous dog was some sort of Mastiff blend. After researching the breed I'm pretty sure she was a Corso. Very stable temperment. A bit standoffish but excellent at reading new people. Great with all kids and very attentive to her family. They also aren't known to be barkers, chewers, diggers, fence jumpers, or wanderers. Short hair drys quick and doesn't leave much fluff when shedding in the spring. Plus they don't require a ton of exercise which worked out great since I'm pretty lazy. Mine was a solid 60-70 pounds but about the physical size of the typical female lab.

Mastiff in Olde English means DOG...

Newfies, St Bernards, Pyreneese, & others are decendants from selective line breeding.

I had them for over 30 yrs. Their reputation IS that their 1st Priority is to Do their Masters Wishes, and they have a TOP SHELF sense of Knowing How to accomplish that yet w/ Honor & a sense of Justice.

They somehow knew the property boundries.

They don't eat any more than a Shepherd.

LOYAL to the 12th degree!

Merle Campbell was a Big Caucasion guy raised on "The RES" and his job was hunting big game w/ dogs, and he had tried them all.
Mid 70s he was still raising them, [along with Wolves], and told me that After WWII English Breeders Bought his pooches, and that you wouldn't be able to find 1 of theirs that Didn't have his bloodline in them.

That being said he then told me that any of the breeds he tried,
if they went in after a bear AND the "Bear took the dogs leg Off",
the others would peel away but a Mastiff would go back in for more...:):)

I never had a problem w/ any of them around children, mine or others.

ANY Breed an have throwbacks or a dog "TURN", even on it's owner.

Abt 2000 we got a "Lap Dog Pup tp be a Companion for Buster.
When we were a block away from home the 8wk old Pup [Hobbs],
resting in a shoebox, Alerted before we started slowing down for the driveway,
and Pulling in Buster cae out going Nutz and frolicking around.
THEY BOTH KNEW, and we never told either one what was up.

Abt 10 yrs later here's hobbs w/ His Buddy Carl...

Look Here:
Hobbs & Carl - Dog and Rabbit, Best of Friends

I find the Neufies to be the hardest working, most loyal and protective, and they are very proud and stoic! They do NEED a daily set of tasks to do, its part of their breeding, ans a Neufie with out a job will turn into the biggest lump of lazy you ever saw! They dont need a big yard or lots of room, but they do need a cool place and lots of water. They are very personable, some can be very playful, and others can be loners, but all need a job to get the very best out of them! They also need lots of exercises, bit care must be taken that they dont over heat, and that they are not allowed to jump up or down very much

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top