JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am looking for a IWB holster for conceal carry. Does anyone have a holster that you recommend? Here are some of the qualities that I am looking for:

Leather
Belt loop
Reinforced opening

I know that Galco has a couple of holsters that fit the above criteria, but I just wanted to know what else is out there.

Thanks for your help.

De Santos is what i have for my sp101. Its the most comfortable holster i have ever worn. Also bladetech makes good ones as well, my wife has one for her sig pro and swears by it. What are you carrying in it?

Matt

I have two Milt Sparks VM2 holsters that are excellent, but you'll have to wait if you go with them.

I have a Glock 19. I've used a Kydex type IWB holster, but it is uncomfortable. That's why I am thinking of switching to leather. I will check out the De Santos, Bladetech, and Milt Sparks holsters. Thanks for your recommendations.

Another G19 carrier, great to hear! You're definitely not alone, many here believe it's the best carry gun ever. I would definitely check out the Milt Sparks stuff. Since I now know what you're using for, I can't recommend the Milt Sparks setup highly enough!

I checked out the Milt Sparks VM2 holster on their website. It looks like an excellent holster, more stable and thinner than other holsters with belt loops. It's on the top of my list now.

I've been using a CrossBreed SuperTuck for about six weeks now. I don't know if it meets all your criteria but I've found it to be extremely comfortable once the leather molded to my bony hips.

Since you indicated "Best" which is highly subjective I'll pipe in. I've invested a king's fortune on leather over the last 30+ years. I've purchased a significant number of various IWBs or have tried just about them all. I have literally "boxes" of holsters and mag pouches I've purchased and that is not including the sample holsters sent to me by manufacturers hoping we'll push them at the Academy.

Now, there are a lot of IWB's on the market with the passing of almost every week I hear of a new holster manufacturer who is touting their "best" holster design.

The reality is only a handful of pasted designers have influanced most of the current models and makers. Most of today's makers can trace their roots back to Bruce Nelson, Tom Threeperson, Milt Sparks, or one of the other giants in the business who is long since past and paid their dues.

Now there are some very poor manufacturers and/or designes, some "okay", some good, some great and a few I would consider, in my uneducated & unqualifed understanding, as "Best." Of the best, they have stood the test of time (which means they have been around for LONG time) which narrows the list down considerably. On that short list of manufacturers are Milt Sparks, Kramer, & Alessi in the leather department. That is not to say some of the others are good, great or even best. But they haven't been around as long and/or haven't had the same long term repeat clientele including some agencies and units who demand hard core gear.

Milt Sparks with their VM, VMII and Summer Special line up is probably darn close to the top of the heap. So much so expect a 16 week wait - but worth it. We just ordered two sets for the school and it took exactly 16 weeks. I have worn the MS Summer Special for so many years now I've lost track. About 4 or 5 years ago a student insisted I switch to the VMII and I refused. He sent me a complimentary VMII and I put it on and it has never left my side since. Milt Sparks, owned by Tony now, started training with Jeff Cooper many moons ago. He learned through competition and training what works and didn't work. Too many newer makers today are skill "makers" but have never trained seriously so they lack a fundemental understanding what true warriors need in gear.

I don't change easily and although I'm by no means wealthy or "to do" I never compromise on my defensive gear. If spending $1000 would buy me a better holster I wouldn't blink twice and would put the money down for the best gear regardless of the investment. But I don't need too. A $140VM-II trimmed to my specs fits the bill perfectly.

Kramer also makes hardcore gear...I remember getting my first Kramer back when Greg called it Pro Line and he was just starting out. Today, some mighty elite folks use his gear and I own a bunch of his stuff. His horsehide is tops.

Anything from MS or Kramer is going to be from among the "best" and they are both from this side of the Rockies. There are several others but these two are hard to beat.

I've never had an issue with MS or Kramer - they both approach the holster from slightly different perspectives. MS uses metal to reinforce the mouth and in all the years rolling around on the ground - or watching close to 1000 students annually rolling 'round the ground have never seen the holster mouth close. I have on several brand x's. Kramer uses two strips of horsehide to accomplish the same thing it is like concrete! Also Kramer uses a synthetic thread that is rot and h2o proof. These holsters are built like a tank.

Well I don't know if what I've shared is of any value...I'm like Fox news - I report you decide. Besides, what the heck do I know anyway?

Since you indicated "Best" which is highly subjective I'll pipe in. I've invested a king's fortune on leather over the last 30+ years. I've purchased a significant number of various IWBs or have tried just about them all. I have literally "boxes" of holsters and mag pouches I've purchased and that is not including the sample holsters sent to me by manufacturers hoping we'll push them at the Academy.

Now, there are a lot of IWB's on the market with the passing of almost every week I hear of a new holster manufacturer who is touting their "best" holster design.

The reality is only a handful of pasted designers have influanced most of the current models and makers. Most of today's makers can trace their roots back to Bruce Nelson, Tom Threeperson, Milt Sparks, or one of the other giants in the business who is long since past and paid their dues.

Now there are some very poor manufacturers and/or designes, some "okay", some good, some great and a few I would consider, in my uneducated & unqualifed understanding, as "Best." Of the best, they have stood the test of time (which means they have been around for LONG time) which narrows the list down considerably. On that short list of manufacturers are Milt Sparks, Kramer, & Alessi in the leather department. That is not to say some of the others are good, great or even best. But they haven't been around as long and/or haven't had the same long term repeat clientele including some agencies and units who demand hard core gear.

Milt Sparks with their VM, VMII and Summer Special line up is probably darn close to the top of the heap. So much so expect a 16 week wait - but worth it. We just ordered two sets for the school and it took exactly 16 weeks. I have worn the MS Summer Special for so many years now I've lost track. About 4 or 5 years ago a student insisted I switch to the VMII and I refused. He sent me a complimentary VMII and I put it on and it has never left my side since. Milt Sparks, owned by Tony now, started training with Jeff Cooper many moons ago. He learned through competition and training what works and didn't work. Too many newer makers today are skill "makers" but have never trained seriously so they lack a fundemental understanding what true warriors need in gear.

I don't change easily and although I'm by no means wealthy or "to do" I never compromise on my defensive gear. If spending $1000 would buy me a better holster I wouldn't blink twice and would put the money down for the best gear regardless of the investment. But I don't need too. A $140VM-II trimmed to my specs fits the bill perfectly.

Kramer also makes hardcore gear...I remember getting my first Kramer back when Greg called it Pro Line and he was just starting out. Today, some mighty elite folks use his gear and I own a bunch of his stuff. His horsehide is tops.

Anything from MS or Kramer is going to be from among the "best" and they are both from this side of the Rockies. There are several others but these two are hard to beat.

I've never had an issue with MS or Kramer - they both approach the holster from slightly different perspectives. MS uses metal to reinforce the mouth and in all the years rolling around on the ground - or watching close to 1000 students annually rolling 'round the ground have never seen the holster mouth close. I have on several brand x's. Kramer uses two strips of horsehide to accomplish the same thing it is like concrete! Also Kramer uses a synthetic thread that is rot and h2o proof. These holsters are built like a tank.

Well I don't know if what I've shared is of any value...I'm like Fox news - I report you decide. Besides, what the heck do I know anyway?

Well, that just narrowed my list down. Now I need to decide on a carry gun for winter.

I've been using a CrossBreed SuperTuck for about six weeks now. I don't know if it meets all your criteria but I've found it to be extremely comfortable once the leather molded to my bony hips.

+1 on the Crossbreed SuperTuck www.crossbreedholsters.com I have been carrying for decades, and have tried most of the high-end IWB holsters at one time or another. They just didn't work out for me because I never found one that was comfortable enough for me to wear all the time. Yes, they are discreet but they (or the gun) dig into my side enough that I almost always go back to my favorite El Paso Saddlery #88 Street Combat holsters www.epsaddlery.com (which are outstanding on the belt holsters). After reading so much about the Crossbreed, I finally ordered one for my 1911s. It arrived within four business days and I am HIGHLY impressed with it. It's just plain ugly, but lives up to all the hype it receives. It is EXTREMELY COMFORTABLE and makes a full size 1911 just about disappear when tucked - plenty well enough to wear in public with a slight blousing of my shirt. Same with a Combat Commander. I also found that it fits my Star Firestar 9mm perfectly and that little beauty completely disappears when tucked - no blousing required. Untucked, even the .45s conceals so well with a light cover garment that it becomes invisible. The comfort factor is simply amazing - and that from a guy who had all but sworn off IWB carry. I know I will never again be without one.

You should also look at the "texas heritage by Tucker gun leather. Simply one of the best IWB period IMO of course, I had a Milt Sparks VM2 and thats a great holster as well but I sold it and orderad a texas heritage as my full time carry holster.

tuckergunleather.com

Andy

Last Edited:
She's not the prettiest girl at the party, but she still works perfectly ;)

Picture-014.jpg

Comp-Tac MTAC, best of both worlds IMO...gives you the comfort of leather along with all the benefits of plastic. Plus, for $35 you can buy another plastic insert so you're not shelling out $100 each time you change carry guns. Works great for Glocks, with my current setup I can carry any 9/40/357 they make in the same holster. I can conceal a G17 with a loose polo.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top