JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I broke my saw that I have been carrying for the last 10 years or so. It never really got much use, and was kinda cheaply made. A <broken link removed> that is mostly plastic. So I did some "research" on youtube, but typically find either a boning saw or a brush saw. What I want is one saw that fits this criteria:

1. Has two different type of blades (easily changeable, for in the field), one for brush cutting and one for bone.
2. Is lightweight (to set a bench mark, let's just say less than 14 oz).
3. Foldable but must be strong.
4. Preferably has a sheath. Bonus would be if the sheath held the saw and an extra blade or two.

Not to concerned about cost, lets say up to $100. Which I would imagine would cover any non-custom saw for this purpose.

Anyone out there got one they use and would recommend.

If you've made do without it so far then why bother replacing it?:rolleyes:

I'm more of an axe or machete guy depending on the terrain.

I'd do a search for them on Amazon and read the reviews for the higher rated ones.

I'd do a search for them on Amazon and read the reviews for the higher rated ones.
I was gunna ask the same.
But there are plenty out there from 'cheesy to pretty nice.
I would hit a sportsman warehouse or cabelles to get my hands on a few

It didn't get much use, but every year it got used once, and it was a very important use.

When hunting, chopping with an axe or machete is too loud. A hand saw can be really quiet. What I want it for is limbing a little of a tree for line of sight from my stand / seated position.

Years ago I logged hundreds of back pack miles with one of these and a good knife. Lighter and more useful to me than an ax and all fits in a handle. saw.PNG Don't know if you can still find them.
My truck though, has a , 28"axe and a 30 ' bow saw. Don't want to get stuck in the woods because of a blown down tree!

upload_2015-11-15_17-21-23.png

Last Edited:
I use the Wyoming saw! Its save my bubblegum a few times! I've quartered up entire Elk with it, then had to use the saw to help build a shelter because of a freak snowstorm that came in. Stuck out there for two days...That little saw can cut allot of wood if it needs to!
Its tough

I limb a lot of trees out there. Can't say for bone. Eliminate SOG from your search. Their saw blades are piss poor and don't cut well. Buck and Gerber both do great but are single blade. I've never used the silky saw. The Bucks (I have the inexpensive yellow handle ones) are very light, but cheap plastic handles. That's the trade off.
18183_16.JPG

That's good advise to have an axe when driving in the backcountry in case there's some blowdown while you are in there. Here's one to toss in your vehicle and keep it there as it takes up much less space than an axe, called a Chainmate, basically a hand powered chainsaw. It might work for your tree stand as well. I've cut up to 16 or so" tree with mine. Pretty impressive to me how fast it went. I've used bow saws a lot, and this worked better for big green, laying across a trail stuff. Start it out slow, then start hauling a** with it. http://www.amazon.com/Chainmate-CM-...qid=1447767068&sr=8-2&keywords=hand+chain+saw

41O7ftG7k1L.jpg

The Silky saws are great! I own 3 different sizes from the 6" to the 10". I have used an older Browning which broke while trying to saw through the pelvic bone of an elk. Toal piece of plastic crap! Replaced it with a Gerber, which was also plastic crap! (Should have learned my lesson after the Browning plastic crap!) Finally was watching some youtube videos by a Japenese hunter who goes by the name "vertiovice" he was using these Silky saws. I found them on Amazon. Lots of different sizes, replaceable blades that come in fine, medium and coarse teeth. These things are wicked sharp and plow through wood like nothing I've ever used before. I haven't used them on game yet but in videos by this Japanese hunter, (he speaks pretty good English) he uses them regularly on the deer he kills and kills a lot of deer! In Japan owning a rifle or shotgun is a major deal so the number of hunters is extremely low. Because of that the ones who do hunt can take multiple deer each year. He uses these Silky saws to remove the rib sections and they really fly through them. All metal construction, blades are easily replaceable and super sharp. Not cheap but worth every penny IMO.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top