JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
One of the softest shooting rifles although very expensive and even though its a piston has to have piston cleaned ever so often is the Benelli R1 with their Comfortech. I have one in 300wm. I do have a break on it and it is semi-auto so some of the gases are diverted to the piston ( again makes sure to keep that piston clean) but it shoots so nice. It's truly amazing. My Ar10 in 308 kicks a lot harder than it. My bolt action 30.06 kicks way harder than it. I have shot many hunting rifles and never had anything with this kind of power kick so lightly. I think if a petite person was to get a .308 or .270 they may need to shorten the barrel. I have a very high-end break and the barrel is really long so it does not bother me however I shot a .308 carbine 16" barrel once and it actually physically hurt my ears as In I felt pain when I shot.

I am not personally a Benelli fan their replacement parts are expensive the butt although super comfortable and really takes the punch out the recoil is kind of fragile and also expensive should you need to replace it and the like I said the piston has to be cleaned before hunting season. For someone who is petite and wants to take down an elk its a great rifle to look into.

Last Edited:
Plenty elk fallen to 6.5X55 caliber, my Tikka is a sweet one. Though I used and touted the 270 for over 40 years, And still feel it is the quintessential north american game caliber, The 6.5 is definitely up to snuff and had good success recommend the 243 from a 700 Remington to the chagrin of some big bore advocates.
Tikka.jpg
The best, after all, would be the #1 campfire subject with rarely a consensus, and only resolved in each individuals mind with the other guy being a blind jerk.:p

Being taught the proper way to hold the and shoot the rifle is paramount. Also getting a proper fitting gun.

Little calibers are fine, but with proper technique she could likely shoot a 338WM no problem.

Take her out to shoot several calibers, ask others at the range to shoot thier guns.

Ones to consider off hand...
7mm-08

Much as I am desperately in love with both, I can't honestly recommend a .243 or .257Bob, for elk in the hands of a novice shooter that may have a challenge with bullet placement.

That's backwards. A novice shooter (or anyone else for that matter) is going to have a harder time with bullet placement as recoil increases.

Isn't that backwards? A novice shooter (or anyone else for that matter) is going to have a harder time with bullet placement as recoil increases.

Yes, its true. You have to strike that balance between performance and recoil. If the novice has a companion to help keep a cool head and wait for the right shot, those calibers would be adequate. Especially within 200 yards and using monolithic bullets like the Barnes TTSX. The trick with the 257 Roberts is it sits between a short and long action. I prefer it in a long action to be able to match OAL to the chamber specs. But then, might as well have a 25-06.

Just say no to ear-splitting brakes on hunting rifles.
Not only do they damage hearing but they seem to have a negative effect the user's spelling capability as well.
I know, weird right ?

:p

Yes, its true. You have to strike that balance between performance and recoil. If the novice has a companion to help keep a cool head and wait for the right shot, those calibers would be adequate. Especially within 200 yards and using monolithic bullets like the Barnes TTSX. The trick with the 257 Roberts is it sits between a short and long action. I prefer it in a long action to be able to match OAL to the chamber specs. But then, might as well have a 25-06.

The 25-06 has considerably more recoil.

Another specific factor in the OP: common, shelf available calibers. While .25-06, which is one of my favorite deer rifles, is more common as both a cartridge and factory rifle chambering than the Bob, .260 or 6.5x55, even it is still a niche cartridge compared to the 7mm-08 or the 6.5CM.

Hey, 7x57mm is my favorite all around cartridge, but I would still suggest those 2 over it for that reason, and I am not even a CM convert.

Another specific factor in the OP: common, shelf available calibers. While .25-06, which is one of my favorite deer rifles, is more common as both a cartridge and factory rifle chambering than the Bob, .260 or 6.5x55, even it is still a niche cartridge compared to the 7mm-08 or the 6.5CM.

Hey, 7x57mm is my favorite all around cartridge, but I would still suggest those 2 over it for that reason, and I am not even a CM convert.

They (7mm-08 and 6.5 CM) make the most sense exactly for the reasons you posted. They are readily available in rifles of all sizes and the ammo is everywhere, but doesn't suffer the military cartridge shortages that occur from time to time.

Someone had mentioned a 223 as a practice rifle. Can't agree more. I have a T3 in 223 that is my understudy to my big game rifles and is a generally fun and economical rifle to shoot.

Two words. Hearing loss.

Two words. Dead Elk.

P4090139.JPG

Brakes are loud. Brakes can damage hearing just as an un-braked highpower rifle can damage hearing (when fired without hearing protection). Hearing protection is becoming more frequently used in the field than in years past, but it is by no means done by the majority of experienced hunters.

Fortunately, a muzzle brake's increase in noise level is noticeably mitigated in the wide open. The hunter with a large unbraked magnum caliber that looks askance (because of decibel levels) at a hunter employing a brake on his more moderate caliber is the classic case of the pot calling the kettle black.

Both these animals (and numerous others) are dead by reason of a brake employed: During targeting, handloading and practice as well as the shot in the field. In these cases, a brake made the difference.

SOME guides are reported to disfavor them in the field, as it is the guide's ears that are often to the side of a brake. In my time working for an outfitter, no guide I ever met ever mentioned that disfavor (admittedly, brakes were quite uncommon to be seen).
Brakes are also inconsiderate at a public range.

Without exception, EVERY guide I ever met or worked with DID express disfavor toward magnum calibers in the hands of clients who could not shoot them (and most couldn't).

Dismissing brakes out of hand for use in the hunting field (and in the preparation for the hunting field) often is accompanied by no experience with them in that application.

Two words. Dead Elk.

View attachment 681464

Brakes are loud. Brakes can damage hearing just as an un-braked highpower rifle can damage hearing (when fired without hearing protection). Hearing protection is becoming more frequently used in the field than in years past, but it is by no means done by the majority of experienced hunters.

Fortunately, a muzzle brake's increase in noise level is noticeably mitigated in the wide open. The hunter with a large unbraked magnum caliber that looks askance (because of decibel levels) at a hunter employing a brake on his more moderate caliber is the classic case of the pot calling the kettle black.

Both these animals (and numerous others) are dead by reason of a brake employed: During targeting, handloading and practice as well as the shot in the field. In these cases, a brake made the difference.

SOME guides are reported to disfavor them in the field, as it is the guide's ears that are often to the side of a brake. In my time working for an outfitter, no guide I ever met ever mentioned that disfavor (admittedly, brakes were quite uncommon to be seen).

Without exception, EVERY guide I ever met or worked with DID express disfavor toward magnum calibers in the hands of clients who could not shoot them (and most couldn't).

Dismissing brakes out of hand for use in the hunting field (and in the preparation for the hunting field) often is accompanied by no experience with them in that application.
I've used them on hunting rifles as well, if I have the time a pair of earplugs went in, but if I didn't, I didn't notice the extra noise at all behind the rifle.

I don't think 1 shot is going to destroy my hearing, and I haven't noticed any deterioration. But that's just me, maybe others are overwhelmed by the report. :s0092:

Two words. Dead Elk.

View attachment 681464

What chamberings were the brakes on?

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top