JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A good bud has banished .243 as a white tail deer caliber at his deer hunting lease.

Why?

Way, way too many wounded deer that hobbled off to die and not be harvested.
I have seen too many deer one-shot-dropped at up to 300 yards with a .243...maybe those that can't should take up fishing, :s0140:.

The OP question specifically mentioned both recoil and elk, and while a .243 can take an elk and recoils very little, I don't normally suggest that for newer hunters.

The comments about fit are good. A heavy rifle might soak up some additional recoil, but carry one for a few miles or more with elevation changes. I would still stick to a lighter rifle in a short action, preferably 7mm-08 or 6.5CM as the OP also stated good factory availability.

This is not the best. Years ago there was a big Ex Army ranger and his petite [ dinky] cute as can be wife shooting action pistol one day I was watching her rip through magazines in a Kahr p9 pistol. She creamed me out shooting FYI. I said great shooting I have a Kahr 9mm exactly like yours. She said it is a forty. Any way what is the womans experience shooting and what would she like It seems she is tough so how about letting her try some different calibers.

It seems conveyed here almost universally that a novice shooter is best served by taking them (with no detours) from a .22lr to an elk rifle.

I apologize for delaying even one minute the stampede. After all, if everyone says it, it must be true.

Thanks for the replies, everyone. Lots of great advice here, I am just going to send her the link to this thread so she can see for herself.

My biggest takeaway is that the fit of the gun is probably the most important aspect to get right, caliber secondary.

I have guns in a number of the calibers mentioned here that she can try out, and also .223 to provide a step up in training from .22 to centerfire, I am definitely not trying to rush her straight towards an elk rifle. She's the one who brought it up! I didn't mention that she's a lefty, so her market selection of rifles is ultimately going to be smaller than for most folks anyway, if she wants a left handed gun.

Thanks again,
Josh

I would say something in a easy to find and cheaper round.
I would say 270, 308, or even a 6.5.

get a rifle with a threaded barrel and put a good brake on it. You can get a custom stock from boyds for not much money.

It seems conveyed here almost universally that a novice shooter is best served by taking them (with no detours) from a .22lr to an elk rifle.

I apologize for delaying even one minute the stampede. After all, if everyone says it, it must be true.

you can use low recoil rounds for elk.
People who think they need a 300wm or 338 for an elk are either too lazy to practice or like rolling the dice for bragging rights at 600+ yards.

No Strong Feelings.jpg

"People who think they need a 300wm or 338 for an elk are either too lazy to practice or like rolling the dice for bragging rights at 600+ yards. "

Usually the reason is much simpler: they haven't seen many elk killed.

I am surprised nobody has suggested .243 Winchester yet.

Off the shelf, lower recoil, wide availability of ammo and ammo types.

I have taught a number of small women to shoot. As well as sighted them in prior to hunting season. I have seen the 243 Win fit these women very well. Granted not what a lot of people would recommend for Elk but a good 100gr. Hunting bullet will do the job.

IMO the only reason members are "going straight from 22lr to elk rifle" is that it is what the OP asked for:

getting a big game hunting rifle, ideally capable of killing elk

Yah, it's a good suggestion to have intermediate steps, but let's give members a break about how they responded. AND IMO, a 7mm-08 is a short action, light to medium rifle, with light recoil, and appropriate for both deer and elk at reasonable distances of a novice shooter.

They do work. But most of them make the blast louder.

Threaded barrel.. blast is not a problem in the woods, can take it off at the range.

Thats a bullet construction problem, most likely. Many 6mm bullets don't have the jacket that other calibers have. Nosler developed the 95gr Ballistic Tip with a heavier jacket and it will kill any deer, no problem.
25-06 wouldn't be a bad choose either! Hell .257 Roberts! .243, though, IMHO would make a lot of sense for a novice shooter!
The OP question specifically mentioned both recoil and elk

^^^ This ^^^

Much as I am desperately in love with both, I can't honestly recommend a .243 or .257Bob, for elk in the hands of a novice shooter that may have a challenge with bullet placement.

Why not an AR-10 in .308. Semi auto's usually soak up alot more recoil than a bolt action, carbine stock allows adjustable length of pull, and you could build it with a pencil barrel and light weight parts.

Why not an AR-10 in .308. Semi auto's usually soak up alot more recoil than a bolt action, carbine stock allows adjustable length of pull, and you could build it with a pencil barrel and light weight parts.
Still pretty heavy to lug around all day if your 5' tall and 101 pounds of fun compared to a lightweight bolt rifle...

7mm-08 or 6.5 CM would be my suggested cartridges. Also consider a T/C Encore, the single shot action make for a short handy, light weight weapon while still have a respectable length barrel.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top