JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
For a while now, I have been wanting to get a Piston-Driven Rifle at the higher-end ($1,500+). I've got a couple of AR-15s and AKs. I really like the reliability and ease of maintenance of the AK but I prefer the ergonomics and ability to personalize the AR-15. I've had a list going in my head for several years now in terms of what I am going to get but am looking for opinions.

I am OK with going with a full 16-inch barrel but would prefer a 12'ish-inch barrel with a Pistol Brace (in the future to SBR it). Must be chambered in 5.56 or .223 Wylde but would like the ability to switch out to .300 Blackout. Will be run suppressed. Must be a fully assembled rifle.

Here's my current list that I've been researching and trying to shoot:
  • LWRCI IC-A5
  • Robinson Arms XCR-L
  • PWS MK1 MOD 2-M
  • Sword MK-15 IDC
  • POF P415
  • H&K MR556A1
  • Sig MCX Virtus
  • Galil Ace Gen 2
  • Brownells BRN-180 (I don't think you can buy a fully assembled one)
  • SCAR
  • LMT MARS
  • CZ Bren
  • B&T APC223

Are there any on here that you would NOT want to own or recommend? Any opinions on any of them? What am I missing?

Last Edited:
Sig...had an MCX for a bit, great gun...then they go and release the Virtus and stop supporting the gen-1 and 2 guns...they seem to be in a constant "beta test" mode with their guns....for me, I dont know that I would buy another Sig product...( I also had a 556 that was a complete lemon...have not been lucky with Sig 😕)

You dont have CZ Bren in your list, great guns.
Ive shot both it and a Scar in rifle matches, I like the Bren just a little more.

The BRN180 I really like in concept, but need to run one to form an opinion...in the same catagory, Wolf T-91 uppers are an option...I have one and it runs well, my only real complaint is lack of brass deflector, which as a lefty sucks..😂

Galils are decent, shoot well, but for me, they put the charging handle on the wrong side 😜

LMT Mars -L piston or any MARS has my vote hands down. I would take a good look at LMT lineup if you haven't. I believe it would fit your need for running whatever barrel later on down the road , swapping calibers as well, running suppressed if you choose, and for some reason you even wanted to swap to DI later you could.

I'm sure others will chime in but I see this isn't on your list and would take a look.

Edit : as I see your only looking on the list.

Out of the ones on your list the I have ran the HK, POF, and LWRC. and SCAR 16, 17 heavy. Out of those the LWRC just fits me better. I'm a little bit of an H&K fanboy but to be honest was a let down. SCARS impo wouldn't be on this list and are overrated but decent resell value. These are only my experiences as others may very.

I haven't had an opportunity to run an sword yet however, would be intrigued to. Hope this helps.

Last Edited:
LMT Mars -L piston or any MARS has my vote hands down. I would take a good look at LMT lineup if you haven't. I believe it would fit your need for running whatever barrel later on down the road , swapping calibers as well, running suppressed if you choose, and for some reason you even wanted to swap to DI later you could.

I'm sure others will chime in but I see this isn't on your list and would take a look.

Edit : as I see your only looking on the list.

Out of the ones on your list the I have ran the HK, POF, and LWRC. and SCAR 16, 17 heavy. Out of those the LWRC just fits me better. I'm a little bit of an H&K fanboy but to be honest was a let down. SCARS impo wouldn't be on this list and are overrated but decent resell value. These are only my experiences as others may very.

I haven't had an opportunity to run an sword yet however, would be intrigued to. Hope this helps.
Not limited to the list...sorry if it sounded like that...adding the LMT to the list!

Define "best" and "high end". What characteristics are you looking for? Subjective terms will get you subjective answers.
With respect, I defined "High End" from a price standpoint, is there another definition of that term you're referring to? I guess maybe more of a range between $1,500 to $4,000 so I'm not necessary looking for a collector's edition rifle but something that is at the "high end" of the price spectrum.

"Best" I would describe, for myself, as:
  • Overall Build Quality (feels solid, parts are tight when they should be tight, parts that move should move smoothly, etc)
  • Engineering Excellence (design has advantages over others and avoids weak spots for reliability)
  • Proven / Expected Reliability (if a new model, the brand itself has a good reputation)
  • 1 MOA or better (not that I have the skill to shoot like that other than on a bench, but you have to have goals!)
  • Customer Service (needs to be supported by the brand which is why I wanted a fully assembled rifle)
  • Warranty (Lifetime preferred)

With respect, I defined "High End" from a price standpoint, is there another definition of that term you're referring to? I guess maybe more of a range between $1,500 to $4,000 so I'm not necessary looking for a collector's edition rifle but something that is at the "high end" of the price spectrum.

"Best" I would describe, for myself, as:
  • Overall Build Quality (feels solid, parts are tight when they should be tight, parts that move should move smoothly, etc)
  • Engineering Excellence (design has advantages over others and avoids weak spots for reliability)
  • Proven / Expected Reliability (if a new model, the brand itself has a good reputation)
  • 1 MOA or better (not that I have the skill to shoot like that other than on a bench, but you have to have goals!)
  • Customer Service (needs to be supported by the brand which is why I wanted a fully assembled rifle)
  • Warranty (Lifetime preferred)
That's useful - now that we know your criteria it will be easier to give suggestions. I would lean to the suggestions of those who have owned and used the rifles the recommend rather on what they have heard.

My piston experience has been all Adams in 5.56 and 308. They work as advertised and I trust my life to them. They meet your criteria above, but do not have the prestige you are perhaps looking for. The two 5.56 rifles are my own builds with top of the line parts including triggers and polygonal match barrels. Those don't qualify as being non manufactured, but I'd rather do my own smithing than have someone else do it. The 308 is a factory gun. Only mods are a POF Roller Cam and a SSA-E trigger.

Also, cost does not always correlate to quality. Quality usually comes with a higher price, but a high price does not always mean quality. My builds used my own specifications for quality that I couldn't get any other way. The price is that they have no resale value or cool kids bragging rights. The benefit is that I know exactly what I have and how it was assembled; what torque was used on the barrel nut and that Aeroshell was properly applied after the surfaces were properly cleaned and prepared, etc., but to each his own.

Good luck on your search and I hope you find what you are looking for.

I'll admit I'm a bit of a Sig Fanboy...but I love my MCX's. Yes, Sig does use the customer base as a constant beta but they have really gotten the current gen Virtus right. I own the legacy and Virtus versions and they have both been reliable, and the build quality is excellent. What really sets it apart is the fact that you can interchange and customize barrel length, caliber, etc so easily and fast to be need/mission specific.

Gen II Galil ACE in 5.56, in either their full 16" or SBR!

AK simplicity with 5.56 common-ammo out of plain Jane PMAGs, with a full flat top Pic rail...pretty hard to beat for the $1,650.00 they're going for.

Good luck...

I'll admit I'm a bit of a Sig Fanboy...but I love my MCX's. Yes, Sig does use the customer base as a constant beta but they have really gotten the current gen Virtus right. I own the legacy and Virtus versions and they have both been reliable, and the build quality is excellent. What really sets it apart is the fact that you can interchange and customize barrel length, caliber, etc so easily and fast to be need/mission specific.
I want to badly to like the MCX, but then saw this

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads