JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I like 3M Peltor Tactical 6S Active Volume Hearing Protector at about $50.

A better NRR can be had for a few more $$s

3M Peltor Tactical Sport Hearing Protector, MP3 Compatible - Amazon.com

99 out of about 104 amazon customers seem to like them also. The big plus seems to be the $100 price offered at amazon. amazon gives them a NRR of 20. A comparison of muffs can be found at:

<broken link removed>

I think one ought buy the highest NRR one can afford. Good luck.

I like 3M Peltor Tactical 6S Active Volume Hearing Protector at about $50.

A better NRR can be had for a few more $$s

3M Peltor Tactical Sport Hearing Protector, MP3 Compatible - Amazon.com

99 out of about 104 amazon customers seem to like them also. The big plus seems to be the $100 price offered at amazon. amazon gives them a NRR of 20. A comparison of muffs can be found at:

<broken link removed>

I think one ought buy the highest NRR one can afford. Good luck.

Actually from what I have seen the cheap foam earplugs offer a better npr & for much less money

Defining the best requires outlining the activity. Standing on a line for a bullseye match is very different than say a 3 Gun match.

If all you are going to do is shoot from a static line and don't need/want to communicate with anyone well rated foam plugs and big muffs are the best. Best hearing protection, durability and price.

If you are going to to be in a dynamic environment and need or would like to communicate verbally with others there are lots of options.

For a lower db environment like .22 or pistol only in hot weather the best I have ever used is - Ear Protection for Shooters| ESP Elite Classic
Great comfort on hot days, medium level protection and good audio fidelity. I have heard that the digital audio fidelity is fantastic but the price jumps to $1600

Higher level db environments with rifle use I use good reduction rated disposable foam plugs and - Pro Ears Electronic Hearing Protection: Pro Series
or the Howard Leight Impact Sports. You get the best possible hearing protection, redundancy in case you break the seal on the muff with the stock of a long gun (happens a lot with unconventional shooting positions), and good ability to communicate if you turn the amplification up on the muffs. The comfort is fine when it's cool out but anytime it's warm or hot muffs just suck. Cloth covers help with the sauna factor a bit.

What I don't like -
Custom fitted foam plugs, they can be comfortable or really uncomfortable if done wrong. Once they are done you are stuck with them. The other problems are you keep sticking dirty things in your ears and increase the chance for an ear infection, they offer the same db protection as good foam plugs that are inserted correctly and cost as much as 2-3 500 count box of good foam plugs.
I find the model of foam plugs that are the most comfortable with the best protection for me and then get a 500 pair box at Sanderson Safety for about $35 and that lasts me a couple of years.
Peltor tac 6's. They were the first model of electronic muffs that I bought and they lasted 6 months on average. The circuit boards are in the same space as your ears. That means the entire time you are wearing them you are pumping salt water on to the electronics. After the 3rd pair I gave up and went with the Impact Sports. I have 5 sets now and only one has died after about 3 years of use, average of about 20 hours a month.

What I don't like -
Custom fitted foam plugs, they can be comfortable or really uncomfortable if done wrong. Once they are done you are stuck with them. The other problems are you keep sticking dirty things in your ears and increase the chance for an ear infection, they offer the same db protection as good foam plugs that are inserted correctly and cost as much as 2-3 500 count box of good foam plugs.
I find the model of foam plugs that are the most comfortable with the best protection for me and then get a 500 pair box at Sanderson Safety for about $35 and that lasts me a couple of years.
Peltor tac 6's. They were the first model of electronic muffs that I bought and they lasted 6 months on average. The circuit boards are in the same space as your ears. That means the entire time you are wearing them you are pumping salt water on to the electronics. After the 3rd pair I gave up and went with the Impact Sports. I have 5 sets now and only one has died after about 3 years of use, average of about 20 hours a month.

I like the option of both plugs and electronic muffs so I can hear communications with shooters/range officers. I am using the same Peltor 6's I bought ten years ago. Maybe the dry California central valley climate helps that.

best value for money:
Howard Leight by Honeywell R-01902 Impact Pro Electronic Shooting Earmuffs
Howard Leight by Honeywell R-01902 Impact Pro Electronic Shooting Earmuffs - Amazon.com

best overall, money no object:
3M Peltor SV Tactical Pro Hearing Protector
3M Peltor SV Tactical Pro Hearing Protector - Amazon.com

the howard leight R-01902 offer excellent NRR for the money (30!), are generally comfortable, seal the ear well, and have ok electronics.

the peltor SV tac pro are by far the best. very good NRR (26), superior comfort, excellent ear seal, and superb electronics. better than the howard leights? most definitely. not 3x better though!

avoid these!
Howard Leight R-01526 Impact Sport Electronic Earmuff - Amazon.com
the lower profile design may be appealing but the NRR is terrible (only 22!), the electronics are terrible, and they don't seal the ear very well at all -- they are much too tall. marginally better than sticking your fingers in your ears.

regardless of what electronic protection you get, it's still a good idea to double up with at least some light earplugs underneath. when some yahoo starts going all macho rapid fire with an AR15 or 12ga indoors, single muffs aren't enough. and you'll have some emergency backup in case they get bumped loose off your head.

i double up with surefire ep4.
Amazon.com: Surefire EP4 Sonic Defender Ear Protection: Sports & Outdoors

avoid these!
Howard Leight R-01526 Impact Sport Electronic Earmuff - Amazon.com
the lower profile design may be appealing but the NRR is terrible (only 22!), the electronics are terrible, and they don't seal the ear very well at all -- they are much too tall. marginally better than sticking your fingers in your ears.
Utter hogwash. That's your opinion that may hold true for yourself. That doesn't make them worthless to everyone. I've used them for all manner of chores and recreation. If you're shooting indoors you want to double up with plugs but I haven't found a set of cans that I wouldn't want to do that with. They work and fit fine for me and for, as I suspect, the subset of the population that I've recommended them to and have thanked me for it.

Utter hogwash. That's your opinion that may hold true for yourself. That doesn't make them worthless to everyone. I've used them for all manner of chores and recreation. If you're shooting indoors you want to double up with plugs but I haven't found a set of cans that I wouldn't want to do that with. They work and fit fine for me and for, as I suspect, the subset of the population that I've recommended them to and have thanked me for it.

when people join us at local ranges we give them the choice of borrowing the R-01526 or the R-01902. those that choose the R-01526 always swap out for the R-01902 in short order for the reasons cited. people who have the R-01526 and tried ours always end up getting rid of them and getting the better R-01902 or the peltors. once they have tried the alternatives, i have yet to see anyone stick with the R-01526's.

the R-01902 are only $20 more than the R-01526. hearing damage is permanent.

I just ordered a set. I see them all the time at ranges I've been to, and people seem to really like them. My BIL just got a set and raves about them. They aren't that expensive so if I don't like them it's not a big loss......and I will just give them to my husband who has terrible hearing anyway :)

Just throwing what I use for shooting, I do not know if this is sold locally but I can attest on how magnificent this work. If it is properly fitted to your ear canals, this in my opinion is one of the best I have used. It has a very low profile and can be use over something covering your head. The only drawback is that it can't be use indefinitely. I bought a few to eliminate that limitation.

These comes in two sizes, large and medium, I have a normal frame size body and medium size fit me best.

SUREFIRE EP4 Sonic Defender Plus Hearing Protectiom Clear Medium

I saw that this item and had just sold out.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top