JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I did a search believe me.

I am simply looking for ideas on the best hearing protection for shooting, please share your thoughts/ideas on what you like best.

1. name of brand and are they sold locally?
2. likes
3. link if you can provide

thank you

Aside from regular ear plugs or cheap muffs, I like the howard leight impact sport electronic ear muffs. They cut out the loud stuff but allow you to hear voices and other not so loud things. They run about $50 on sale.

I, too, use electronic ear muffs. I use the Ryobi Tek4 Noise Cancelling Headphones - <broken link removed> . They cancel out the bad but I can hear my wife yell at me from the car. THey also allow me to listen to music while I shoot (never tried it though).

I did a search believe me.

If you did search it right, you wouldn't make a thread about it. lol ;)

There are so many of them out there it's hard to pin point what you need.

Do you shoot hand guns mainly?

Do you shoot rifles mainly?

Do you want electronic or not?

And list goes on....

It's like you are asking what kind of vehicle I should get.

So give us a little background to shorten the list.

And list goes on....

hmmmm.... too early in the morning for sarcasm.

why don't you enter "hearing protection" and look at what comes up, because I did and there were threads about everything BUT hearing protection, I didn't have the time to weed through every thread looking for a response here and there, thats why I made a very specific thread asking for very specific things, at least I thought they were specific enough until I came to your post.

To answer your questions... I will be shooting both although handgun slightly more. I don't know much about electric that was why I asked people to state why they liked any specific brand, I figured I would get feedback on them. I am hoping to find something with a better NRR but they probably cost more. I don't mind spending a bit more, however, I saw some for $350.00 on line, I do NOT want to spend that much. I think my range is $100.00 and under in fact $50-$60 would even be better.

I have used some cheap Peltors before, foam versions, and rubber and to be honest I didn't like any of them, this was why I simply asked what others liked and used so I had a better selection to do research on.

I, for one, appreciate the topic. I've wanted a set of e-muffs for a while but seeing the huge span of price haven't been willing to step out and buy a set. It's nice to have some suggestions to point me in the right direction.

Are there any e-muffs that do better than -22db? That seems to be average in he $50 range.

Found a set: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Radians-Max...271?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item519bcb2ee7

And list goes on....

Always someone with all the questions
Then most just answer the same anyway.Really all you need to do is tell him YOUR favorite.
Just sayin'

Doesn't really matter what you are shooting,get the best you can afford.That said,I have a mid price range pair (who knows the brand) that works great.
If you don't want the electronic ones,check the foam and make sure it is the heavy,dense foam not the cheapo kind.
Make a ton of difference.
I do use the different ear plugs once in a while,but hate to take them out and replace all the time

Next I will investigate the electronic ones more.I guess they are great and you don't need to take them off to hear talking.

One thing that I have noticed is the ear muffs can get in the way (mine are fairly wide) when getting close to the stock.Couldn't figure out why my scope was so hard to deal with,then I realized the muffs were the problem.

Good luck

thank you Mjbskwim and others who chimed in, I appreciate good conversation and the info regarding whatever topic and in this case hearing protection, I like reading everybodies thoughts because there is ALWAYS something to learn, I can never understand what the big deal is if somebody starts a thread on a topic if it is specific and if little information exists in the first place, if I don't want to read a topic I just skip over it.

Anyway It definitly gives me a number of them to research and hopefully something to buy soon, thanks again.

I got some of the custom molded ear plugs that I got from a guy that was selling them a Sportman's Warehouse (now Wholesale Sports). I love them for pistol shooting, but I combine them with a pair of inexpensive muffs when shooting HP rifle or if there a lot of rifle shooters at the range. I haven't gone the electronic muff route yet, but would like to try some. Peltor and Caldwell brands seem to get good recommendations. How much real difference is there between say 19 db and 26 db reduction? Do you really hear that big of difference (from those of you that have used both)?

I got some of the custom molded ear plugs that I got from a guy that was selling them a Sportman's Warehouse (now Wholesale Sports). I love them for pistol shooting, but I combine them with a pair of inexpensive muffs when shooting HP rifle or if there a lot of rifle shooters at the range. I haven't gone the electronic muff route yet, but would like to try some. Peltor and Caldwell brands seem to get good recommendations. How much real difference is there between say 19 db and 26 db reduction? Do you really hear that big of difference (from those of you that have used both)?

From using hearing protection in my old job I can tell you there IS a big difference in the 19db and 26db, the thing with shooting there is more of a very quick pop from the shot itself which is loud. I am really curious if there is much of a difference with the electronic protection.

Anybody with electronic protection care to chime in on how well those work... and how they work in laymans terms?

Wifey and I use the Caldwell E-MAX, paid $24.99 on sale regular price $39.00. Yeah we're cheap skates. We don't shoot long guns and these work OK for us when we're out door pistol shooting. Things are a little louder at the indoor range and wifey uses foam plugs with them.

There's a dial for on/off with volume control, turn it way up you can hear a pin drop however there is static. I figured, being a cheap skate, this was a start. Depending what other people say and how long these last I may go to a higher quality set in the furure.

Oh, as mbjskwim mentioned, getting your cheek down on a stock was an issue with mine the one time I shot a long gun.

Mike

soft ear plugs. Works great! Likely, a combined 50 db reduction. I usually purchase simple shooting ear muffs at Walmart that are rated about 26 or 28 db and add "soft" ear plugs that you can get in almost any drug store, etc., which are rated about the same. The combined effect is notably different and favorable than just ear muffs alone. This is an obvous benefit when you shoot large magnum rifles and/or handguns. Good luck.

I really get along with ( E.A.R ) brand E-Z-fit ear plugs, thy are soft little yellow foam plugs that go in deep and dont hurt to wear for 12 hour days.
If shooting bigger than small auto pistol you could put ear muffs over your ears too.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top