JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm looking for the most corrosion resistant semi auto for around salt water and sand.

I know the USP and the Mk25 were meant to be used by Navy SEALs, so I'm guessing they are pretty high on the list. I also know my Glocks have never had a problem, but I've never got them very wet with salt water.

What do you recommend? And what is your reasoning?

Not sure what's best. But as to Glocks? Not all finisher are equal.
I had a gen 4 Model 26 barrel rust on me just carrying it. o_O

Yea, I'm a big Glock fan, next to a good 1911, they are my favorite semi auto, but I don't think they are the best for corrosion resistance. I've had slides and barrels get little rust specks just from carrying as well.

Springfield's XD line (I like the "M") is pretty dang rust resistant. Melonite coated stainless steel slide and polymer frame. I've only ever seen a picture of one that rusted (on the XDTalk forum) and even the haters (more than you might suspect on a forum named XDTalk) were like, wtf did you DO?

If you want something with class... a SiG P220.

Though most firearms appear rust resistant, their internal parts often are not. I carried a stainless LCP for a whole summer without much maintenance to finally clean it later in the year. I found the pins started to rust. I have replaced them with stainless pins. However the rest of the parts are not stainless or treated. So I keep them coated liberally in oil and check them more often.

This is a hard one, I really don't think one exists that is high on the list to recommend. I'd say something with a stainless slide and barrel. Possible points added for stainless internal components.

You could build a Glock with stainless parts.

That could be a good direction.

Like you said, guns built for this 0urpose are probably your best bet.

However I think the grease you use will be most important.

I would suggest Cherry Balmz or another light grease, liberally applied. With thorough cleaning when possible.

I watched a YouTube video of a guy using a Glock to shoot lionfish underwater. The Navy also used S&W model 66 during Vietnam and the 686 later as an over the beach gun. I think maybe the first guy out of the water would have it ready.Also used to destroy boat engines quickly. I think the key is immediate disassembly and lubrication afterwards. I dropped my Ruger LCR in the sink while doing dishes last year. Salt water is much worse.

I believe you hit the nail on the head with the Sig Mk25 which is designed for SEALs where the preferred extraction method is to swim out into the sea.

Note that SEALs now run G19s, but this is an accountant's call more than likely. I would bet Glock offered them a package that included multiple replacements per gun. Being a buyer of a single gun with no replacement policy and/or no armorers present, I'd prefer to run with the gun that was designed for the situation, not the gun that can handle the rough conditions just long enough for it to be financially viable for a large corporation to service a fleet of handguns.

Get a Mk25 and don't look back. Already has all internal parts coated. No dinking around with replacing all the internals of some crappy plastic pistol, which would bring into question the "legendary" reliability of said plastic gun.

Just take good care of whatever you decide to carry. I carried Blue Steel Revolvers while on duty for many years and never had an issue. Stainless Steel is not rust proof. Even those Guns require a reasonable amount of good care.

Stainless Steel is not rust proof. Even those Guns require a reasonable amount of good care

This is wisdom not often shared. The stainless steel zealots will talk about corrosion resistance all day but some of my SS guns rust faster than any other handguns I own.

So the suggestion of tossing in stainless parts is not an airtight proposition.

Any TV buffs here? Old TV episodes. The one scene showed several times was Magnum P.I. grabbing his Colt Commander 1911 .45 and slipping it into his waist band. Usually in the back. Then the next scene shows him jumping into the ocean.

Then somewhat later it shows him detailing stripping, rinsing, drying, oiling then completely reassembling his .45 auto pistol. The scene sticks with me. Perhaps because his character was a former USN special ops group person? Long ago on TV.

sq.jpg :rolleyes:

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR