JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I currently own a Ruger LCP 3701 (Conceal) and a 12-Gauge Remington 870 (Home Defense). But, after reading that the .380 caliber won't necessarily get the job done, as well as, a larger caliber handgun; I'm now in the market and searching for a better all around firearm. I've looked up the top 10 lists and there seems to be a lot of debate around this issue.

<broken link removed>

I'm interested in hearing any of your point of views on the best handgun debate in helping direct my consumer choice.

I wouldn't mind hearing two different point of views.

1. What's the best handgun period (stopping power, accuracy, reliability)?

2. What's the best handgun that can also be used as a conceal without having to wear a trench coat everyday?

Thank you.

two shots at point blank range to center mass with a .380 or .22lr with take the fight out of just about anyone. obviously not the piece you choose to take to a gun fight but pocket pistols have a place in your front pocket and could save your ***.

I currently own a Ruger LCP 3701 (Conceal) and a 12-Gauge Remington 870 (Home Defense). But, after reading that the .380 caliber won't necessarily get the job done, as well as, a larger caliber handgun; I'm now in the market and searching for a better all around firearm. I've looked up the top 10 lists and there seems to be a lot of debate around this issue.

<broken link removed>

I'm interested in hearing any of your point of views on the best handgun debate in helping direct my consumer choice.

I wouldn't mind hearing two different point of views.

1. What's the best handgun period (stopping power, accuracy, reliability)?
You are going to get a lot of answers to this question. In short, there is NO real answer. personal preference weighs out. Stopping power is relative in every account every firearm from .22 short to 454 casull has the capability to kill, but when you add in the variables, the problem starts... find a firearm that you can shoot comfortably and practice, practice, practice.elative in every account every firearm from .22 short to 454 casull has the capability to kill, but when you add in the variables, the problem starts... find a firearm that you can shoot comfortably and practice, practice, practice.
Accuracy has many variables as well, mostly with the shooter, the gun will be no more accurate than the person behind the weapon, train, train, train!
Reliability, well that is another subject-no gun is 100% in any line, but there are many reputable lines out there that are more reliable than others, but individuals will argue this point all day long as well. do your research, test fire, find a firearm that you can, through research, trust until you have enough experience to confidently use and trust from experience. Accuracy has many variables as well, mostly with the shooter, the gun will be no more accurate than the person behind the weapon, train, train, train!
Reliability, well that is another subject-no gun is 100% in any line, but there are many reputable lines out there that are more reliable than others, but individuals will argue this point all day long as well. do your research, test fire, find a firearm that you can, through research, trust until you have enough experience to confidently use and trust from experience.

2. What's the best handgun that can also be used as a conceal without having to wear a trench coat everyday?

There are many small firearms that are great for conceal, but again your size, style and abilities will dictate.

now on to my preferences... as far as caliber or "stopping power" go, look at the 9MM, .40 or .45. All are good choices for carry/self defense, although this will be debated, probably on this thread. in the brand for concealablity and reliability, look at Glock, Kahr, Ruger, Smith & Wesson, CZ,. There are many more out there but these usually top the list of common firearms that are carried. Good luck and welcome to the forum!

Thank you.
:s0155:

This reminds me of the 'which camera should I buy' threads.

"Best" is an extremely subjective term. People will probably give better answers if this is better defined.

It's not the equipment, but the shooter...

two shots at point blank range to center mass with a .380 or .22lr with take the fight out of just about anyone. obviously not the piece you choose to take to a gun fight but pocket pistols have a place in your front pocket and could save your ***.

What Fry says! I would not want to go to war with a .380, but I have everything from .45s to .22s and most everything in between. I carry a .380 and feel very secure. It is small (a Beretta, not a toy) and the most important thing is I am comfortable with it and can use it without much thought. Practice, practice and more practice is the answer no matter what you carry.

Ed

everyone above has pretty much touched on it, it's what's going to work for you. There's just too many variables. None of us know what your comfort level is with cocked and locked, how you plan to carry, do you worry about your weapon occassionally printing etc..I'm comfortable toting a cocked n locked 5" 1911 in cooler weather and a 4" 1911 under a tee with shorts in warmer weather. But that's me, the gun fits me and I'm very comfortable shooting it and carrying it for long periods of time. I don't worry about it printing slightly as I'm ugly and no one is looking at my hips.

As far as stopping power, dunno, .50 GI ? .460 ? .50 AE ? but guns thusly chambered tend not to fall in the "easiest concealed" column...I'd personally be confident with 9mm and a G19 too....

I appreciate all of your feedback. It's very interesting to hear all of your points of view because it gives me ideas to think about when selecting. The G19 seems to be a popular choice for that middle ground between power and concealment. It's also seems like a best bang for your buck type of purchase. However, I need to still do some more due diligence. I bought the Ruger on a bit of an impulse, it has no safety, but has an extremely long pull to discharge (kind of a safety, but not really). It makes me wonder what the odds are with one in the chamber going off if I sit down or move around in a car.

Do you carry your LCP in a pocket holster of some kind? If you do it is not going to just go off in your pocket. I own 16 handguns but I carry my LCP the most. It is just to convenient to leave at home. I read somewhere that the best handgun is the one you have with you. Likewise a mouse gun in your pocket is better than a magnum you left at home. I am all for buying more guns, I really am. I think you should go rent or borrow a bunch of them before you buy anything else. Think about weight and size, as well as your intended method of carry. Then make a purchase or two.

I have an inside belt pocket holster. I like the LCP because it's damn near invisible carrying it. Drawing it is a bit of an issue though. The handle is so short that the pocket holster swallows it. So, I have to draw it with my thumb over the top and my bottom two fingers grabbing the based of the handle. So, either I need to practice and get real comfortable with that draw transition, get a different holster, or a bigger gun. I've fired my friend's 3rd Gen Glock 22 and like it a lot.

What do you think of the Kahr K9094N?

GetDynamicImage.aspx?dir=itemImages&path=K9-Black-w-Night-Sights1692.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This reminds me of the 'which camera should I buy' threads.

"Best" is an extremely subjective term. People will probably give better answers if this is better defined.

It's not the equipment, but the shooter...

What we need to do is ban hi capacity automatic camera's, no one needs a hi capacity automatic camera......do you realize how many people have been shot with hi capacity automatic cameras? :s0131:

When the founding fathers wrote the bill of rights they could not have envisioned these hi capacity automatic cameras.

Photographers should be restricted to low capacity paint brushes.......

What do you think of the Kahr K9094N?

All Kahr handguns have a double action only trigger, so the pull is long and mushy. Nothing like your buddies Glock.
If it is thin and light you want, look at the Walther PPS. It is about the same size as the Kahr and has a Glock like trigger and it is available in 9MM and .40 S&W. I have the .40 version and it is great. Very accurate and probably less $ than the Kahr.
And really, you just can't go wrong with an XD or XDM, a Glock or an M&P.
Forget the .380, it's a butter knife in a world of sabers.

I'll take a different twist here, mostly because I spend little time in the city, maybe a 1/2 dozen times a year in a town over 5K. My daily carry gun is a Ruger Flattop in .44 special. I've taken a 5 or 6 deer with it now in 3 different States and quite a bit of small game like grouse, rabbits and coyotes.

For my concealment pistol I use yet another Ruger .44 special, this one in the 3 3/4" Vaquero Sheriffs model. I've packed a single action for 40 years and no other gun feels quite as 'right'. It just makes sense to pack a bobbed version of the one I carry and handle most every day.

I have all compact/subcompact handguns..

Kahr PM40
Glock 27
Glock 23
Glock 30
SnW 45c
SnW 40c

Iv found I love the Glock 30 and the PM40.. both are great for carry...

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top