JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I suppose reliability, power, fit & feel, ease of use, and cost effectiveness are the most important factors to you? These are usually some of the criteria that people use to narrow down the large number of pistol options.

Most manufacturers produce models which are extremely reliable. Go with a major manufacturer.

Stick with a service caliber. 9mm is probably the most versatile, although other service rounds have their benefits. 9mm is always readily available on shelves, cheap, and provides sufficient defensive power. 9mm platforms have large round capacities, and are also made in single stack pocket size frames. As far as I'm concerned, the .380 offers zero advantages over 9mm.

Find a specific model that feels right in your hand, points naturally, and carries comfortably on your hip.

Finally, shoot several finalists, and go with the one that performs the best. Not knowing you and your likes/dislikes, the best recommendation I can make is a Glock 19. It's size provides an excellent balance between capacity and concealability in a cheap-but-very-effective service caliber.

Perhaps the most common thread on gun forums. There is no single BEST gun, bullet, or cartridge! Period! If there were, there would only be one kind of each. It is an individual choice for individual circumstances.

I personally prefer .40 S&W and .45 acp for self defense purposes, but will on occasion carry a .357 magnum. My absolute minimum self defense rig is a .38 special +P. I don't think a .380 or smaller is sufficient to end agressive hostility against a doped up, hostile attacker, but neither would I want to be shot with one. Some folks believe they are secure carrying a .22 revolver. God bless them and I wish them well, but my choices are made based on my personal experience.

If I absolutely knew I was going into a gun fight and there was no way out of it, my choice would be a long gun (AR-15 or 12 ga pump shotgun) and all of my friends with long guns. Pistols are not effecient fight stoppers, but are good for fighting your way to your long guns.

I currently own a Ruger LCP 3701 (Conceal) and a 12-Gauge Remington 870 (Home Defense). But, after reading that the .380 caliber won't necessarily get the job done, as well as, a larger caliber handgun; I'm now in the market and searching for a better all around firearm. I've looked up the top 10 lists and there seems to be a lot of debate around this issue.

<broken link removed>

I'm interested in hearing any of your point of views on the best handgun debate in helping direct my consumer choice.

I wouldn't mind hearing two different point of views.

1. What's the best handgun period (stopping power, accuracy, reliability)?

2. What's the best handgun that can also be used as a conceal without having to wear a trench coat everyday?

Thank you.
a gun is very personal, but I did several months of research several different companies and decided to go with FN Herstal sidearms. I have an FNX- 40 cal and a FiveseveN.
the FNX 40 or 9 mil have the functionality of 1911 with the "build" have a glock, with fully ambedextrous controls for saftey and mag release.
for a 40 the FN has very low recoil. Now for the pun. the most bang for the most buck that I have seen is my five seven. it shoots small assault rifle rounds, with the kick of of a 22 if not just a smidge more. its lighter than a glock 19. its an all polymer case with steel contruction.

I am a new shooter and every where I aim this gun the bullet hits. Plus it has night sights so it makes it a good nightstand weapon. when the five seven bullet hits, its such a high velocity that it breaks apart in the body causing it to shread the insides of its target, with a deep penetration.

its accurate up to 200 yards depending on what sights you have on the gun they have the fixed night sights or the adujustable. with only half an inch drop off at 100 yards people use this gun for elk hunting.

sorry also to add, the FNX 40 is 14 +1 and the Fiveseven is 20 +1

NC my friends relatives were gunned down in their home, 40 year old woman, 16 year and 12 year old boys, all shot with single rounds for a .380 into the torso. You'll do just fine with .380, really accurate round as well.

Took an online CCW course in Iowa last week, got my certificate in the mail, and went to the local county sheriffs office last wednesday to submit my permit for a non-professional license. Will go in, in a couple days, and pick up my permit. NEXT question is, i'm looking at a Glock 17 or 27 or even a 1911. I'm a big guy, and wear baggy clothes anyways. As far as conceiling a big gun with an inside belt holster, as long as you have the right belt and holster, i am told, it wont pull or sag and make carrying uncomfortable.

I do need to practice with whatever i get. Have been looking thru the posts on this thread. Just wanted to know what is a good weapon of choice to carry conceiled.

Took an online CCW course in Iowa last week, got my certificate in the mail, and went to the local county sheriffs office last wednesday to submit my permit for a non-professional license. Will go in, in a couple days, and pick up my permit. NEXT question is, i'm looking at a Glock 17 or 27 or even a 1911. I'm a big guy, and wear baggy clothes anyways. As far as conceiling a big gun with an inside belt holster, as long as you have the right belt and holster, i am told, it wont pull or sag and make carrying uncomfortable.

I do need to practice with whatever i get. Have been looking thru the posts on this thread. Just wanted to know what is a good weapon of choice to carry conceiled.

I do not have enough experience with 1911 designs to talk about their reliability or performance. I've heard things, but I won't pass hearsay as personal knowledge. However, I don't like external safeties or external hammers on a carry weapon, and these models do require a different type of training. Food for thought.

If you aren't too concerned with the size, a Glock 17/22/21 or 19/23 would be a great choice. I'm not necessarily a Glock guy, but I've shot/owned a couple. They're great pistols, very reliable, come in a wide selection of calibers/frame sizes, but are not comfortable in my hand. I am most definitely a M&P guy. In my experience, they're more reliable than Glocks, far more comfortable to shoot, and come in a sufficient variety of calibers/frame sizes.

A good belt and holster makes a world of difference.

Consider our suggestions, but do so with a grain of salt. Do your own research, shoot a variety, and make a decision based on YOUR findings. Nobody can tell you what is best for you. Good luck. Let us know what you go with.

I might be late to the post but thought I would throw my experience in the mix. As a newbie in the CC arena I wanted the one stop shot. So as any would do in that case I got a 45. It was a Tuarus PT145 Millennium Pro and I was a natural with the sights on that gun. Very small for a 45 but I found it was too thick for my tastes. I left it at home ALLOT. Next came the Baby Glock in 9mm. I could not get the natural shots I wanted for some reason. I know, I could train and get it. I was not willing to figure that out because as with the 45, it stayed home more often than not as well. Too thick, I tend to run hot and overdressing is an issue with me. So lately I have a Bersa 380, thin but a bit long. It is still a little more uncomfortable than I would like. I went out looking at the Kel-Tec, and some others and could not wrap my head around the thin walled barrels. My point is, through more trial and error than I wanted I have a 380 that I carry more often than not. Way better than a big bad a$$ gun sitting at home while out with my wife. I took this gun out and it shot very well. More than acceptable recoil, natural sighting for me. Based on my very unscientific ballistic tests am certain I would not want to be shot more than once with this gun. I use very aggressive hollow points and was surprised at the power they had after reading about the anemic 380 round.
So there you go then. My experience. Also be prepared to not like allot of holsters. Maybe I am just wound too tight?

I might be late to the post but thought I would throw my experience in the mix. As a newbie in the CC arena I wanted the one stop shot. So as any would do in that case I got a 45. It was a Tuarus PT145 Millennium Pro and I was a natural with the sights on that gun. Very small for a 45 but I found it was too thick for my tastes. I left it at home ALLOT. Next came the Baby Glock in 9mm. I could not get the natural shots I wanted for some reason. I know, I could train and get it. I was not willing to figure that out because as with the 45, it stayed home more often than not as well. Too thick, I tend to run hot and overdressing is an issue with me. So lately I have a Bersa 380, thin but a bit long. It is still a little more uncomfortable than I would like. I went out looking at the Kel-Tec, and some others and could not wrap my head around the thin walled barrels. My point is, through more trial and error than I wanted I have a 380 that I carry more often than not. Way better than a big bad a$$ gun sitting at home while out with my wife. I took this gun out and it shot very well. More than acceptable recoil, natural sighting for me. Based on my very unscientific ballistic tests am certain I would not want to be shot more than once with this gun. I use very aggressive hollow points and was surprised at the power they had after reading about the anemic 380 round.
So there you go then. My experience. Also be prepared to not like allot of holsters. Maybe I am just wound too tight?

I think your'e mixing your priorities a bit. For a carry/self defense gun it really doesnt matter how big the grip is or any of that. Sure it would be nice for everything to ergonomically perfect but you may only pull your pistol in self defense once or less in your life. If its a little fat in the cross section I think you can deal with that for one shot or two. A target or plinking pistol then sure maybe you want it to be more comfortable but for self defense it just has to be reliable and go bang when you pull the trigger.

I am relatively new to guns, but I don't understand the argument that a certain bullet won't stop someone. I've never been shot so maybe its a big assumption of mine that any bullet would stop the average bad guy.

Anyway, I was looking for something small as my first handgun so I could carry as well. My friend has a Bersa Thunder .380 and was considering that. I decided to get a Bulgarian Makarov instead because its smaller, cheaper and a little more powerful than the Thunder, easier to take apart and is a proven service weapon. All the comparable 9mm as far as size is concerned were out of my price range.

The only thing I'm dreading is the hunt for 9x18 ammo

Theres three ways to stop an assailant with a gun.

1. They see the gun and run away. Or you get scared and they take it from you and shoot you and/or pistol whip you with it. Yes, Ive seen that happen.

2. You shoot them with a small caliber underpowered round like a .32 ACP or a .380. You kill them with a heart shot or with a spine or brain shot. ...Or... You hit them someplace less vital and they get scared and run away. Maybe they finish their job on you first or rape your mom, kids, wife and dad in front of you while you sit there wishing you had shot them with something that would kill them more efficiently. Keep in mind that many times bad guys are on go fast drugs that make them even meaner and nastier than they were without drugs and they don't even know or care that they got shot. They just want to beat your skull in and it doesnt matter if they do it with their last breath.

3. You kill them. You wouldnt be shooting them if you werent trying to kill them right? You are doing that because you are in fear for your life. Use something that reflects that fact. A good strong 9mm+p, .357 magnum, 10mm, 40 S&W+P or a .45 ACP etc. and you won't have to worry about trying to aim for something vital quite so much. You still have to hit them but it will hurt them more with less effort on your behalf.

You carry a gun to kill someone else that needs to be killed. Do them and yourself a favor and use a round that will put them out of your misery.

The best gun is

-One that you have on your person

- you are comfortable/ experienced with an can shoot well.

- it must go bang! Every time!!

Those are the things to think about any other questions should be held off until you reach this point .

Forget about caliber and all that bubblegum.
That is all for Internet warriors
To worry about.
I carry my glock 26 or my .38 snub nose.

---

Glock 19 is not really that small.
Baby Glocks are.

And even they are fat compared to many single stack guns.

There is no "BEST" gun.

A .40 or a .45 is a great defensive handgun, but very likely to be left sitting in the dresser drawer when you run out at night to to store, because it's big and heavy and a hassle to put on.

A .380 may not have the stopping power, but your far more likely to pick it up and slip it in a pocket before heading out the door.

Yes I know that there are some people here who will proclaim that they NEVER go anywhere without at least one or two guns. That's great for them, but does not really reflect 98% of the people who have a CCW permit. Most people I know who have a carry permit, only carry occasionally (when they think they might need it). I carried infrequently because it was a hassle to put on the holster and the gun just to take a quick run to the grocery store. They you have to make sure your not printing and bla bla bla. . .

A few months ago I started looking for a real "pocket gun" as the only two guns I had in that category were .22 caliber. I was less concerned about the actual caliber being .22, as the reliability factor of .22 LR ammo. Looked at all of the pocket rocket .380s. Nice but there were still enough people complaining about reliability to concern me. The Ruger, the Kel-Tec and the Taurus seemed to have the best reliability for pocket .380s, (in that order) based on actual owner reviews (not gun rag reviews).

Ultimately I went with the S&W 442 J frame in .38+P. It can fit in my front pocket (just barely), is light weight, and with a DeSantis Pocket Holster does not print. (Looks like a wallet) It's easy to slip into my front pocket, so now I have gone from carrying ~5% of the time, to 90+% of the time.

On a different forum board someone asked, whats the best handgun ever made. My response was:

"One time in Seattle it was my Taurus 85CH, and another time on Utah it was a Glock 19. . . . Both times the gun in my hand was the best gun in the world for those few moments. . ."

Yep been shot many times with 380's and 22's, I just plucks them out with my thumb and forefinger. Nobody has ever been kilt with one of them puny little things.

there you just read it on the internet, it must be true.

BTW glocks must suck, why do you see so many for sale?

Picking out the right holster is just as important as choosing the right gun. With a crossbreed supertuck iwb u can conceal a full size gun just as well as a subcompact

I think your'e mixing your priorities a bit. For a carry/self defense gun it really doesnt matter how big the grip is or any of that. Sure it would be nice for everything to ergonomically perfect but you may only pull your pistol in self defense once or less in your life. If its a little fat in the cross section I think you can deal with that for one shot or two. A target or plinking pistol then sure maybe you want it to be more comfortable but for self defense it just has to be reliable and go bang when you pull the trigger.

I must not have communicated as clearly as I intended. My primary consideration now is CC comfort. Hence the references to leaving the guns at home. Initially my primary consideration was "one stop shot". Unless it was a home invasion I simply would not have had the gun or the opportunity for self defense with a hand gun. I simply mentioned the natural sighting as a reason to want to keep the gun. This was not a good enough reason if the gun stays home. Through this process I came to the realization that a gun carried is better than a 45 at home. No one has to agree, I am just sharing my experience in the hopes of saving someone time and money should they consider my experience.

NC my friends relatives were gunned down in their home, 40 year old woman, 16 year and 12 year old boys, all shot with single rounds for a .380 into the torso. You'll do just fine with .380, really accurate round as well.

I am relatively new to guns, but I don't understand the argument that a certain bullet won't stop someone. I've never been shot so maybe its a big assumption of mine that any bullet would stop the average bad guy.

Neglected this thread as it had a ton of answers already,but here's one side....

The local gun shop says if a guy tells him a 380 isn't big enough,let me shoot you with it

OK,so take me at 230# and add some coke and some meth and maybe some Angel dust,then stop adding the drugs and let me go get some more money.
This guy MAY laugh at you when you shoot him with a 380 or a 9 or a 38 or a 40s&w. MAY is the important word here
(if you place the shot perfectly,it doesn't matter what caliber)

So you shoot the guy with a good body shot and nothing happens.
maybe you did pick the wrong caliber.

The main thing is shot placement.You can stop a threat with a 22lr if you can place the shot to stop the heart or electrical.
But it better be a perfect placement.

If you go with a caliber that has mass energy,you can miss by an inch and deliver enough shock (ft #'s energy) to "stop the threat".
9mm can do it with enough shots or perfect placement.40 S&W can hit a little harder,then 45 ACP has (depending on the load) more energy,then10mm and 44mag.

How big of gun do you want to carry?

People buy the Ruger LCP in 380 saying it will stop the threat,blah,blah,blah.

If the guy has enough drugs in him, (about 99% of crimes are either drug or alcohol related),it will take perfect placement or a heavy caliber to stop the threat

A 22sr,22lr,22mag,32acp,32H&R,327ruger,380 and many others will kill a person,a normal person

But will it stop the guy coming after you that just got done with an ounce of drugs?

Bigger is better.Get the biggest caliber that you can make perfect shots with...consistently

Good luck

Regardless of caliber (hopefully you choose a larger expanding type), don't assume a one shot stop. Shoot until the threat is no longer there. This video shows an LEO who finally downed the perp with multiple body and head shots with JHP (not sure if 9MM or .40S&W or weight) even after being shot seven times with stolen .45 ACP loaded with 230 grain FMJ.
YouTube - &#x202a;Officer Jared Reston talks about when he was shot&#x202c;&rlm;

The best gun is

-One that you have on your person

- you are comfortable/ experienced with an can shoot well.

- it must go bang! Every time!!

Those are the things to think about any other questions should be held off until you reach this point .

Forget about caliber and all that bubblegum.
That is all for Internet warriors
To worry about.
I carry my glock 26 or my .38 snub nose.

---

PERFECT answer.

Everyone has a different idea of what the perfect concealed carry piece should be. I carried a Ruger Blackhawk .41 mag (4 5/8" barrel) concleaed for years.. for the last 10 or so years, I've primarily carried my P239 Sig. There are days that all I've got is a NAA .22 short.. but I'm proficient with what I carry, and that is what matters.

*Go to a large gunshop and find out what firearm fits you. For me the Ruger is a no-go. It doesn't feel good in my hand. For a .380, I'd go with the Sig P238.. but that's me.

*Once you've chosen the right gun, practice, practice, practice, practice.... repeat. Pulling it out of the holster and shooting it should be second nature. Anything less, and the firearm can be a detriment instead of a help.

*Again, there is no "Best" gun for everyone. The best one for you may not be the best one for me.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top