JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Which country makes the best guns?

• Total voters
Reactions
Who makes the best guns?

"Best" can be many things to many folks so it doesn't hurt to give a brief explanation of your choice and reason.

I am a firm believer that we, the USA make the best guns. Not only some of the most innovative, but there are other aspects like quantity and availability that simply put the US in 1st place in my eyes.

What's your thoughts?

I'm likely missing some good countries on my list, don't be afraid to say which one I missed and why.

Reno

Glock folks are gonna be upset
Why? USA baby!

F1A8C78C-F5E9-426C-9A53-D96BA47ECA87.jpeg

Tough one. The absolute best things are made by boutique manufactures in the USA. I'm thinking precision Rem700 footprint actions, AR parts, etc.

But if you took them out of the equation (mostly to level the playing field), then…hmmmmm….

It depends (a LOT) on the type of gun, but I would start off with these - off the top of my head:

Czech (CZs)
Belgium (FN/Browning/et. al.)
Germany/Austria (HK, SIG, Sauer/etc., Glock)
USA (too many to name - so many to choose from - but choose you must as many are good and many suck)
Finland (Valmet)
Israel (Galil/IWI)

Not that all of the guns from these countries/manufacturers are the best, but some examples of the really good to best, of certain types, come from these countries.

IMO

Belgium...I've had quite a few from them over the years and some where many decades old that have stood the test of time. Close second is USA, USA, USA :):s0160:

Belgium...I've had quite a few from them over the years and some where many decades old that have stood the test of time. Close second is USA, USA, USA :):s0160:
Im not familiar with what they make, can you share a few?

I think a case could be made for Italy.

If we go by originality of design, and history of quality of manufacture, well...

Anyone heard of Beretta? Only the oldest active manufacturer of firearm components in the world. In 1526 its inaugural product was arquebus barrels; by all accounts Beretta-made barrels equipped the Venetian fleet at the Battle of Lepanto in 1571. Some of the most advanced designs and finest pistols and shotguns originated in Italy.

'm likely missing some good countries on my list, don't be afraid to say which one I missed and why.
Not only Italy, but England has a fine history of gun making as well, as does Spain.

I'm partial to German handguns guns, but as with Beretta, much of the manufacturing has moved to the USA. For a dark-horse in the rifle world: Finland.
As a American of Finnish descent, I'd always have said Sako for the best *production* rifles made, but alas, Sako (and Tikka) is now a division of Beretta...

Im not familiar with what they make, can you share a few?
Many small Belgium shotgun makers like the Meteor during the 1890-1910s like the one I have hanging on the wall, decades of original A5 Brownings (not including those later version "assembled in Portugal"), Mauser actions like the "1950" 30-06s from FN made in "Herstal-Belgique." I'm not an expert on this...

Edit: I'm unsure about current production there but the newest Belgium gun I have is a 1969 modern-version 30-06 Browning Automatic Rifle (BAR) made all in "Belgium" (and not assembled in Portugal).

Last Edited:
I think a case could be made for Italy.

If we go by originality of design, and history of quality of manufacture, well...

Anyone heard of Beretta? Only the oldest active manufacturer of firearm components in the world. In 1526 its inaugural product was arquebus barrels; by all accounts Beretta-made barrels equipped the Venetian fleet at the Battle of Lepanto in 1571. Some of the most advanced designs and finest pistols and shotguns originated in Italy.

Not only Italy, but England has a fine history of gun making as well, as does Spain.

I'm partial to German handguns guns, but as with Beretta, much of the manufacturing has moved to the USA. For a dark-horse in the rifle world: Finland.
As a American of Finnish descent, I'd always have said Sako for the best *production* rifles made, but alas, Sako (and Tikka) is now a division of Beretta...
Almost did, but I couldn't really think of any other brands besides Beretta. Being known for 1 brand is great, but not as great as multiple brands.

That and like you said, much of the manufacturing has moved to US.

I'm responding under this assumption - guns for the masses. And for me that means most anything produced at about $4000
or under. There are fantastic guns produced at much higher costs but they are limited compared to mass market guns. I have
no idea what the financial norm is for the folks on this site. but guessing tells me most of us can not afford many guns in excess
of 4K. Therefore my answer is the good old USA. The affordable variety here is hard to beat. And overall those guns are reliable,
available quickly (exclusive of BGC's), and they come in choices up the wazoo

Almost did, but I couldn't really think of any other brands besides Beretta. Being known for 1 brand is great, but not as great as multiple brands.
Benelli? Pedersoli? FAIR (Fabbrica Armi Isidoro Rizzini), Uberti, Fossari, Sabatti, and one you should know: Tanfoglio.

Carcano. Glisenti. Vetteri. Zoli-Antonio.

Those who've lived in Europe know these brands. All high quality. The Italians have been making firearms a lot longer than Americans.

Some of these companies are much older than S&W and Colt, not to mention Ruger, etc.

Benelli? Pedersoli? FAIR (Fabbrica Armi Isidoro Rizzini), Uberti, Fossari, Sabatti, and one you should know: Tanfoglio.

Carcano. Glisenti. Vetteri. Zoli-Antonio.

Those who've lived in Europe know these brands. All high quality. The Italians have been making firearms a lot longer than Americans.

Some of these companies are much older than S&W and Colt, not to mention Ruger, etc.
You are displaying my ignorance, many of these I did not know their country of origin. Probably does help that I don't own any of these.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top