JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Got this thing at Costco.. not saying it's the best. But it's good "bang for the buck."

MBuq5Qh.jpg
0svX9oz.jpg
9zUdatc.jpg

A hand truck and a buddy could easily move it up and down stairs. Just put a 1x2 or something under the front of it to tilt it back a bit if you can't bolt it down so it doesn't fall over on you when you open the door. Or keep the metal frame it sits on and foam pad the edges so you don't kick them and stub your toes. Maybe add weights underneath it to hold those feet down. Most safes have very heavy doors and 90% of that weight is the fire protection. Anyway you can get more than one of these if you only have so much space, or have stairs to deal with. They weigh 245lbs empty. That's not terrible to move around on a hand truck with a buddy to help. Most couches and furniture are more of a PITA to move than one of those.

However they seem to be very prone to making your boat tip over and sinking quickly to the bottom of a lake. :oops:

I bought a sports afield from Costco 3 years ago and hasn't given me any trouble. 599$ I believed I payed for it. 34 long rifle, and 10 pistol holders. Any safe can be cracked when presented enough time. Thieves will first try to drag the whole thing out and be gone as quick as possible. 1/2"rd 6" long lags lagged into floor joists will make them rethink otherwise. Keep the safe in your house!! Garages just make it easier for them. + with the advanced motion security that's more affordable these days, the highest of highest trained safecracker will have to be in and out in under 5 minutes with your whole load of guns before Leo shows up.

Now if your out in the boonys, all deals are off... you've made your bed as far as gun security.

Once you get out of an apartment, I recommend sturdysafe.com. Great quality and made in USA with American materials. They probably have something apt sized as well.

Tracker is local. Supports local gun rights. Supports local veterans and outdoors groups. Good people. Solid product. I have 3 of their M Series safe. Remember Costco admin is anti-gun...they've donated to anti gun efforts and many stores will ask you to leave for open carrying.

For two pistols I recommend this Fort Knox safe:
https://amzn.to/2VUNBzx

For something larger, Liberty Safe has been good for me. Northwest Safe (Enunclaw, WA aka SE Seattle area) was great for the purchase, delivery, and install.
Northwest Safe Company - Gun Safes Sales and Moving - Home Page

A larger safe is heavy and doesn't seem practical for an apartment. For example, the Franklin 50 model from Liberty weighs 1,045 pounds.
Liberty Safe Franklin Series | Fire Rated Gun Safe

Regardless, I recommend buying more safe space than you need. You probably will fill it...

Hello,

I currently use a sentry safe that is somewhat easier to move than heavier safes. What safes do yall recommemd that would be suitable for an apartment?
There is one that bolts together from the inside that is stronger than some of the light weght tin boxes on the market today. I think it is called a Snap Safe. You can take it apart and move one piece at a time but when assembeled works like a regular safe. I don't have one and have never seen one, but it does seem like a good idea.
Whatever you get, it would be a good idea to bolt it to the floor so that it cannot be tipped over. I watched a video of people breaking into safes and in the cases where they could tip them on their sides they were more successful than when they had to work on them upright.

There is one that bolts together from the inside that is stronger than some of the light weght tin boxes on the market today. I think it is called a Snap Safe. You can take it apart and move one piece at a time but when assembeled works like a regular safe. I don't have one and have never seen one, but it does seem like a good idea.
Whatever you get, it would be a good idea to bolt it to the floor so that it cannot be tipped over. I watched a video of people breaking into safes and in the cases where they could tip them on their sides they were more successful than when they had to work on them upright.

Agree... except I think he mentioned he was in an apartment. He probably won't be bolting anything to the floor.

I actually installed a Zanotti safe for a client. The safe comes in pieces and needs to be assembled & when it's done it's a bit wobbly. This client had a hidden room with a door that needed to be squeezed through, so it was the only way he could put a safe in there.

The question as asked isn't hard to answer. The answer is very much relative to your circumstances.

Lots of good answers, but they're most all based on assumptions.

Lots of good questions, but no answers from OP.

Most apartments are slab-on-grade nowadays. If you're on the first floor, heavy would be fine. And I'd go ahead and bolt it down. If you're on the first floor. But we don't know if that's your case.
What does best mean to you? If they're at the outside of your budget, Tracker might be "best" for you. But they're not "the best". Neither are Liberty or most of the others mentioned. Not even close.

If you could tell us more about your situation, there's a lot of experience here that could help you down the right path.

That secure it gun storage one works best. My apartment is 2 story downstairs hardwood floor upstaors carpet bolting to the floor most likely isnt an option. No safe is thief proof woth modern harbor freight grinders so secure it looks best for me. Next question tho: does fire rating hold any salt when safes say they are fire rated?

That secure it gun storage one works best. My apartment is 2 story downstairs hardwood floor upstaors carpet bolting to the floor most likely isnt an option. No safe is thief proof woth modern harbor freight grinders so secure it looks best for me. Next question tho: does fire rating hold any salt when safes say they are fire rated?

When you get into the higher end safes, they have a liquid concrete compound as a fire lining which is legit. The safes that use sheetrock probably work somewhat, but not near as well.

you gotta look at their ratings as well. They aren't all rated the same.

Mine is rated for 1200° for 40 minutes. any hotter or any longer than that and whatever is inside will get cooked.

Rated for flood as well. holds back 2' of standing water for 7 days.

Every safe will have different ratings so that may or may not be a factor in your choices.

I honestly just got mine for partial compliance with the new coming law, and to keep my guns away from little fingers when family/friends bring little kids over. Prior to the safe I locked the pelican cases and used bolt/action locks on the long guns not in a pelican case with the pistols put into my pistol safe.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top