JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
<Sigh>, yep that's what we all "need". A safe that weighs a couple tons. Nothing else is worth having. :s0140:
I swear every time this subject comes up it is amazing the stuff people come up with as a "solution" that is supposed to actually work for anyone. I think these must be the same people who claim they never leave home without a 12GA shotgun at port of arms since no handgun will really work. :cool:

Use a tin can I don't care as that's all you'll get for $1000 marked gun safe at a store. I'd rather put a few junk guns in a $100 tin box & hide the good ones.

I bought a Diebold bank safe 3'x3'x7' for $150 locked open. called 3 locksmiths all were $75 to reset the combo until I told them the brand & model of lock then none could do it. I found the correct lock NIB on Ebay for $15 & about $10 shipping. It's 1.25" walls,top. bottom & door of their press steel with anti drill, anti flame, about 10 steels heat pressed together. It's a high security safe weighs 4400#. All these $1000 gun safes are a joke with a big HD door on a tin can box. Also the carpet & drywall have to gas off & the carpet will take the blueing off the barrels. I run an ad looking fora real safe & list your min size or biigger.

If people want to spend $1k, then they should know what they are getting and it's limitations.

People should also understand the UL rating system (RSCs don't qualify for a UL rating).

Also you can greatly improve the security of a RSC by limiting access to the sides and back.

Mine is not a fire safe, It's a security safe with a TL-30 rating & my point was you can get a much better safe for alot less $$ if you're willing to look for it which is usually the case. I have $175 in a $6000(used) value safe no normal burglar is even going to try to get into. No more, no less.

Last Edited:
Have to say watching that video those look like one hell of a great idea someone came up with there. Having just had to move I used a moving Co to move my two safes. The oldest one would not fit in the closet I wanted to put it is so it was just parked in the room. After I tore the door frame apart so I could muscle the damn thing in there I now have to repair the door frame. Watching that video that safe I could have put in that space FAR easier. Damn thing would be fantastic for people who have a place where they have to haul on up or down stairs too.
Yes sir. Fits perfectly on one side of the closet with sliding door in my reloading room.

A friend of mine has decided to get a safe. He says his budget is $1k. Anyone know what the best value out there is in that price range?

Before I get the "It's not a real safe unless it costs $5,000", this is what he can afford, so it's either a under $1k "security container" or nothing. He doesn't have a $50k collection.

We've been looking online at Costco, Tractor Supply, Wilco, Cascade Farm, and a couple others. We're getting blurry eyed trying to understand the various fire ratings, metal thickness, reviews, etc.. He's about ready to pull the trigger on a Cannon safe from Tractor Supply, figuring that a mediocre safe that he can afford is a lot better than a cheap metal locker.

Anyone else already been down this road, any advice?

Advertised to hold "46 long guns"?o_O

I see maybe 8(or 9) on one side of the partition in the pic; with no real room to spare. So perhaps another 8(or 9) could fit on the other side.

At best, a person might be able to cram 20 total long guns.

I'm well aware that this is a common thing; overstating capacity with these 'safes', but sheesh... I couldn't even buy that thing knowing how insulting it is that they must take me for a rube to believe that I could fit 46 long guns in there.

I see maybe 8(or 9) on one side of the partition in the pic; with no real room to spare. So perhaps another 8(or 9) could fit on the other side.

I'm well aware that this is a common thing; overstating capacity with these 'safes', but sheesh... I couldn't even buy that thing knowing how insulting it is that they must take me for a rube to believe that I could fit 46 long guns in there.
"Gun Safe Capacity" is often stated as how many you could physically jam in there if you had to slam the door a few times to get it to close. :D

But if you collect single-shot, break-open rifles, slender pump shotguns, and youth-size .22 rifles without optics, and stack them in like cord-wood, maybe you could fit 46 in? :)

Betcha if you lay the safe on it's back you can easily stack 47 long guns in there--you just hafta take the insides out first

A friend of mine has decided to get a safe. He says his budget is $1k. Anyone know what the best value out there is in that price range?

Before I get the "It's not a real safe unless it costs $5,000", this is what he can afford, so it's either a under $1k "security container" or nothing. He doesn't have a $50k collection.

We've been looking online at Costco, Tractor Supply, Wilco, Cascade Farm, and a couple others. We're getting blurry eyed trying to understand the various fire ratings, metal thickness, reviews, etc.. He's about ready to pull the trigger on a Cannon safe from Tractor Supply, figuring that a mediocre safe that he can afford is a lot better than a cheap metal locker.

Anyone else already been down this road, any advice?
A used one.

Thread 'Liberty centurion - 24 Safe for sale' https://www.northwestfirearms.com/threads/liberty-centurion-24-safe-for-sale.394473/

I like the cannon ones they have at tractor supply. I think I'm gonna upgrade from my stackon to a cannon in the near future.

I know this is an old thread but, someone replied to it so there must be interest!
There are things you can do to make your inexpensive safe more fire retardant and more secure.
I bought a Stackon a few years back to go in my RV. It could not be heavy for good reason.
Years later its now in my garage. I insulated it with 5/8 sheetrock on three sides to make it fire retardant. and added a removable sheet in front so others don't see a safe as they pass by my garage. Then I built shelving on one side and put a standup freezer on the other side. This is also insulation. And it keeps someone with a prybar from getting a good bite unless they take the time to empty the freezer and move it!

In another situation the less expensive safe could be built into a wall or in the back of a closet. Being in a deep closet or a built-in alcove again prevents the use of a long prybar. I have also seen them put under basement stairs. DR

I know this is an old thread but, someone replied to it so there must be interest!
There are things you can do to make your inexpensive safe more fire retardant and more secure.
I bought a Stackon a few years back to go in my RV. It could not be heavy for good reason.
Years later its now in my garage. I insulated it with 5/8 sheetrock on three sides to make it fire retardant. and added a removable sheet in front so others don't see a safe as they pass by my garage. Then I built shelving on one side and put a standup freezer on the other side. This is also insulation. And it keeps someone with a prybar from getting a good bite unless they take the time to empty the freezer and move it!

In another situation the less expensive safe could be built into a wall or in the back of a closet. Being in a deep closet or a built-in alcove again prevents the use of a long prybar. I have also seen them put under basement stairs. DR
All great ideas. I had a StackOn for years before I bought the first actual gun safe. I had said then and always, anything beats guns sitting in a closet or drawers. Also best to NOT put them in the master bedroom if possible as this tends to be the first place scum looks. The vast majority of scum are dopers looking for quick grab and go. Anything that may slow them down "may" make them go elsewhere, and if you have alarms "may" hold them up long enough for Cops to chase them away. Even cheap also comes in handy if scum steal and guns end up at a crime. FAR harder for bottom feeders to come after money as the scum had to break into something to get the guns. While it would be nice to have something a bank would use in the real world few people are going to do this.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top