JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Absolute security is always an illusion. You merely pay for the level of security that you can afford, and live with it. Sometimes we get carried away with the what-ifs and it will eat you up. I have a pretty decent safe myself, probably more than I need for what I have. I have a lot of guns, but nothing particularly valuable. It's bolted down and surrounded by built in cabinets, so I figure that helps, but all it probably means is that if some determined thief had time in my house when we were away, all my nice cabinets would get torn up, and the wall ripped out. He'd be disappointed once he got into it though: "Where are all the Glocks and ARs to sell on the black market, and what's with all this junk!?" :D

On the other hand, I'm not so sure that the sub-$1k safes are really all that "easy" to get into. I've seen the videos on Youtube made by safe manufacturers where a couple guys with pry bars go at a competitor's safe and have it peeled open in short order. Those are absolute ideal conditions for doing what they're doing, and guys who know exactly what they're doing. I think it would be different in your house, with a bolted-down safe full of heavy guns, limited time, looking for the right tools, etc.. Now if you live out in the boonies and are on vacation, and they've got all weekend to do it, then even an armored, reinforced vault wouldn't be completely safe.

It's a little like personal security (concealed carry). You carry a gun for that very, very remote possibility that you may have to use it. But, is that .380 enough? Better make it a 9mm. But what if a gang attacks you? Better make it a full size Glock 10mm with a bunch of extra mags. What if it's a biker gang on drugs, wearing body armor? Dang, better carry an AK pistol with drum mags. What if it's a zombie grizzly bear biker gang on drugs, with guns? Maybe a Mk19 40mm... :eek:

Not making fun of anyone, just trying to be funny making my point about levels of security. On the other hand, most people have a tendency to be a bit cavalier about security until something has happened to then, then it becomes very real.
Not to mention 99% of the actual break ins are not people like those in the video's. They are drug addicts who kick in a door or pry open a window. They are scared and high and looking for anything they can pack off to buy some more dope. My alarm system will call the Police. If they get past that my insurance will pay me. It will not cover all the guns I have at current price but, it will give me enough to go shopping. More important any of my guns get used in a crime later? I can show I had them "secured" and that scum who one party loves to protect had to break in to steal them. So this helps keep the lawyers, who are supported by the same people who support the thieving scum, at bay. :D

That Tractor Supply safe is better than nothing and it has one override key which is fine if an EMP goes off sometime in the future or a CME from our nearest star Sol. Be sure he does not loose that override key. If possible can that key be duplicated so he can have two instead of one?
That is a damn good question. Next time I have to have the lock pro come out to work I will have to show them the one for one of my safes that has it and ask him that. Would not hurt to have a spare.

I had four guns stolen out of my truck many years ago. The police found one of them and I got it back. Over time, my biggest concern was not the monetary loss, but the nagging worry that some criminal was using my guns in his nefarious deeds. Hopefully my nickel-plated 4" 29-2 is securely in the hands of someone who didn't know they bought stolen property, or at the bottom of a lake, rather than tucked into the belt of some dirtbag robbing people. I hope that Remington 788 blew up on the scum that took it, since it had been on its way to the gunsmith because of severe headspace issues.

I know that bad guys will always be able to get guns one way or another, but I sure don't want to be part of that supply chain. That's why I take some exception when I hear guys talk about keeping a Hi-Point or some other cheap gun in their vehicle at all times, with the thought that if it gets stolen it's no big deal. :(

I bought all of mine on Craigslist. Some good deals to be had if you have the ability to move them.
A rented pallet jack along with a lowboy trailer works good and a strong friend.

Absolute security is always an illusion. You merely pay for the level of security that you can afford, and live with it. Sometimes we get carried away with the what-ifs and it will eat you up. I have a pretty decent safe myself, probably more than I need for what I have. I have a lot of guns, but nothing particularly valuable. It's bolted down and surrounded by built in cabinets, so I figure that helps, but all it probably means is that if some determined thief had time in my house when we were away, all my nice cabinets would get torn up, and the wall ripped out. He'd be disappointed once he got into it though: "Where are all the Glocks and ARs to sell on the black market, and what's with all this junk!?" :D

On the other hand, I'm not so sure that the sub-$1k safes are really all that "easy" to get into. I've seen the videos on Youtube made by safe manufacturers where a couple guys with pry bars go at a competitor's safe and have it peeled open in short order. Those are absolute ideal conditions for doing what they're doing, and guys who know exactly what they're doing. I think it would be different in your house, with a bolted-down safe full of heavy guns, limited time, looking for the right tools, etc.. Now if you live out in the boonies and are on vacation, and they've got all weekend to do it, then even an armored, reinforced vault wouldn't be completely safe.

It's a little like personal security (concealed carry). You carry a gun for that very, very remote possibility that you may have to use it. But, is that .380 enough? Better make it a 9mm. But what if a gang attacks you? Better make it a full size Glock 10mm with a bunch of extra mags. What if it's a biker gang on drugs, wearing body armor? Dang, better carry an AK pistol with drum mags. What if it's a zombie grizzly bear biker gang on drugs, with guns? Maybe a Mk19 40mm... :eek:

Not making fun of anyone, just trying to be funny making my point about levels of security. On the other hand, most people have a tendency to be a bit cavalier about security until something has happened to then, then it becomes very real.
Last safe I saw illegally opened was a Sentry gun safe, it looked about 16ga & it had been sliced open with a cut-off wheel, possibly in a circular saw. Someone just cut part of the top off, reached in & took what they wanted

I had four guns stolen out of my truck many years ago. The police found one of them and I got it back. Over time, my biggest concern was not the monetary loss, but the nagging worry that some criminal was using my guns in his nefarious deeds. Hopefully my nickel-plated 4" 29-2 is securely in the hands of someone who didn't know they bought stolen property, or at the bottom of a lake, rather than tucked into the belt of some dirtbag robbing people. I hope that Remington 788 blew up on the scum that took it, since it had been on its way to the gunsmith because of severe headspace issues.

I know that bad guys will always be able to get guns one way or another, but I sure don't want to be part of that supply chain. That's why I take some exception when I hear guys talk about keeping a Hi-Point or some other cheap gun in their vehicle at all times, with the thought that if it gets stolen it's no big deal. :(
Over the years doing gun shows I've had over a dozen guns stolen & I've gotten one back--the people I rented tables from at the gun shows always told me they had security patrolling--did nothing for me

I retired out of Ft Bragg, NC. Got a job with Weyerhaeuser in WA. Drove cross-country. I had 5 guns stolen out of my truck in under 1 hour. Decided to eat in the hotel restaurant/bar and unpack later. Dumbass me. Second issue was I was parked in a security camera dead-zone. The kick in the feels were two of the stolen long guns. 1984 Ithaca 37 DSPS given by my dad for deer season in upstate NY. The other was a JY Wolfe built, LRB forged receiver/NOS parts Vietnam M-14 clone. Learned my lesson. Have a backseat steel gunbox in my truck. Just to deter smash and grabs.

Lastly gents remove the GOA, NRA, Gun and 2A decals off your vehicles. Police said that was a tip-off.

Lastly gents remove the GOA, NRA, Gun and 2A decals off your vehicles. Police said that was a tip-off.
YEP! I long ago stopped putting any kind of pro gun stickers on the cars. One was to not attract the scum. The other reason was not to attract the party who claims to love free speech, then also feels they have the right to damage any vehicle that says something they do not like. When I lived where we could not get a CC permit I kept a cheap pistol in the vehicle but, I kept it where some scum was not likely to find it doing a smash N Grab. I do cringe when I have to go to the court house and leave a gun. Have a box to lock it up and it's where they would really have to look to find it. Also only keep one there I would not miss if it got grabbed. :cool:

I just had a thought: it's probably not a bad idea to lock up the power tools in your garage in a small job box. It would not only help protect them from being taken in a burglary, but also from being used against your own safe.

By the way, he picked up one of those Winchester safes today, signed up for their credit card and got another 20% off! Now he wants me to go help him with it tomorrow.

I bought a Tracker safe here in Vancouver, no regrets. Its not a $6000 safe but since we're here almost all the time, it seems like a decent deterrent. Its big enough to hold everything i have. Most slimeball theives want to grab and run. If they bring an angle grinder or a torch and have time, they can get into pretty much anything. One man's opinion.

For $1k all you get is a thin steel box anyone can get into in a couple minutes with a cordless saw or grinder. I was at an industrtial salvage place in Grand Rapids & bought a 7'h high Mosler bank safe for $150 the door was locked but open. It looks alot like this one on eBay item number:265151793000 & weighs aprox 4400# & is made of pressed steel of all different steel, fireproof, drillproof, etc. The box & door are 1.25" thick so I had under $200 in it. A great deal.
I called 3 lock smiths which all 3 said $75 to reset the lock until I told them the lock brand & they couldn't do it & the lock was $300+ but I lucked out & bought a brand new one on Ebay for $15 & $10/shipping. Here's a great letter from a bank of japan after we dropped the atomic bomb & destroyed everything but the the bank vault. 1632656423674.png
I also bought a vault door for a safe room in the basement. My advice is look for a good quality real safe & leave the tin boxes alone.

I just had a thought: it's probably not a bad idea to lock up the power tools in your garage in a small job box. It would not only help protect them from being taken in a burglary, but also from being used against your own safe.
When I go on vacation I lock up all of the tools I can get into my tool box, then take the cutting torch tip and lock it up, too.

I have a small gun safe from Costco that is Fire Rated at up to 60 Minutes @1400 Degrees. For a small safe it's heavy, took three guys to take it up to my second floor. What's good about it is that it fits nicely behind a door and no one knows it there, out of sight.
I am an old guy, I sold off a lot of my guns (including a larger safe) and just kept my favorites. I bought it on sale for $349. My local Costco has them for $499.

E903EDE2-BC1C-40A7-9225-07B8229633A9.jpeg DF337C54-EC92-4910-9DD1-B8E1299DF102.jpeg

They beef out the doors, but the real weakness is the boxes themselves. Most are only a slightly higher gauge sheet-metal(12-14) than common appliances ie. refrigerators. OK, that might be a tad hyperbole, but believe me that a hung-over forklift driver can put the same kind of gouging dents into a Liberty 'Fatboy' safe too.

In addition to the importance of bolting it to the floor, limiting access to the sides/back by enclosing walls can help. Even still, a determined thief with a Sawzall can make quick work of sheetrock panels and wall studs.

That's why at laugh at these.

View attachment 1038596
Yeah, that drywall is getting kicked through in a matter of seconds.

As with all things security. It is illusory at best and often times temporary.
If these people where smart they would used concrete walls then fir it out with studs and sheet rock to give it a nice look

i have a Tracker 22 I got it on Black Friday for $800 or so it's not a 5k safe but I have layers of defense mostly the safe keeps the kids out. Its basically the same safe just different building specs on it I think it has thicker sheet metal but if you look at the picture they look identical. Cineese made safe obviously, but it does what I need it to do keep the kids out without adult supervision.

Last Edited:
My son lives in an apartment up some stairs so he needed a modular safe. He bought and I helped him put together the Agile 52 from SecureIt. I was impressed with the quality and level of security for the price.

Zanotti Safes is also a modular builder

Years ago I put together a Zanotti Safe, it felt a little wobbly when finished but my client was delighted & he managed to get a decent sized safe put into his secret room, which wouldn't have been otherwise possible

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top