JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
What gun do you have that :
You shoot really well with...
Shoots reliably with just about any ammo...
Feels the most comfortable in your hands...
You can operate and shoot , without having to think about how to do that...
( Muscle memory )
If you have a gun that fits the above or at least most of the above , use that gun.

The answer of course will be vastly different for everyone and their living situation.
There really is no "Best gun for_____"...Simply because what is "best" for one person , may not be "best" for another person.

For me its my 1981 Remington Wingmaster...18 inch barrel , Improved Cylinder choke and #4 Buckshot...
I know this gun and load ...and I have lots of practice with this shotgun...
Andy

What gun do you have that :
You shoot really well with...
Shoots reliably with just about any ammo...
Feels the most comfortable in your hands...
You can operate and shoot , without having to think about how to do that...
( Muscle memory )
If you have a gun that fits the above or at least most of the above , use that gun.

The answer of course will be vastly different for everyone and their living situation.
There really is no "Best gun for_____"...Simply because what is "best" for one person , may not be "best" for another person.

For me its my 1981 Remington Wingmaster...18 inch barrel , Improved Cylinder choke and #4 Buckshot...
I know this gun and load ...and I have lots of practice with this shotgun...
Andy

Shotguns these days just don't get the love they deserve. It really is the true shtf gun. It can be a big game rifle, small game getter whether aerial or terrestrial, clear rooms, have a real high cyclic rate of 32 caliber pellets going downrange, and can be relatively cheap to shoot.

Shotguns these days just don't get the kove they deserve. It really is the true shtf gun. It can be a big game rifle, small game getter whether aerial or terrestrial, clear rooms, have a real high cyclic rate of 32 caliber pellets going downrange, and can be relatively cheap to shoot.
+1

Last shotgun I still own long became a safe queen but I still keep it clean and ready with a good supply of both slugs and buck. As a "just in case". Now some of the newer ones do tempt me a lot. The 930 for one. I really like that damn thing every time I see one.

I've always had a shotgun, it was fired a few times by me, mostly sat in the rack.
Then I started noticing others had modified the model I had, and I began taking interest in that idea.
Soon after, that thought would get in my head again, to modify it, but I never did.
The 3rd time it come to mind, I went looking (and bought) a nice used Beretta 1301, and pimped it out a little bit.
Now I got something more modern, very fast, and HC. Not to mention, very light.
I call her Biotchin Betty.
She's set to ventilate, or sledge toilets.
I put dads shotgun back in it's sock ;)

Shotguns these days just don't get the love they deserve. It really is the true shtf gun. It can be a big game rifle, small game getter whether aerial or terrestrial, clear rooms, have a real high cyclic rate of 32 caliber pellets going downrange, and can be relatively cheap to shoot.
Shtf how? No practical use at this situation. Clear room till intruder takes cover behind couch or similar. High cycle rate, but what about recovery after first shot? When with any ar/ak you can put all shot precisely and fast. And you have 30-100rd in rifle vs 5-8 in shotgun. Rifle ammo not that expensive either.

Shtf how? No practical use at this situation. Clear room till intruder takes cover behind couch or similar. High cycle rate, but what about recovery after first shot? When with any ar/ak you can put all shot precisely and fast. Rifle ammo not that expensive either.

I've shot through lots of barriers with a shotgun. Believe it or not, with everyone driving toward cartridges like 9mm because of low recoil, there are still lots of people that train with harder recoiling guns and do quite well with them. You have to train to use the recoil to your advantage and to assist in cycling the pump. Semiautos are pretty gentile these days.

I've been using shotguns quite a bit over the last 14 years of my career and have been hunting with them for over 20. There isnt a more versatile weapon. From squirrels to geese to elk to people, it does it all. If S were to really were to HTF, its a valuable tool.

Rifle AK or AR! Nothing else will serve your needs when time come.
While I am a great "respecter" of the AK47 Series of rifles as well as the AR15
( M16 series of rifles / carbines )...having been shot at with both , the AK series and M16 rifle , as well as having used the M16 series in combat....
I can say that they both work well for what they are...and are very much a viable rifle for defense.

That said :
I can not totally agree with the quoted statement....
Because as I said in my first post "Best" , depends on a person's particular set of needs...
And what is "best" for one person or one given situation , may not be "best" for a different person or situation.

I have found that it is "best" not to tell others what will serve their needs...but it is a good idea to suggest different things that may work for them....
As I am not the one who will be in their situation.
Andy

Hands down the old shotgun with pistol as backup. When thugs hear that slide rack clack clack on a pump , they think OHHH MYYY Nutzzzz,, I just might get shot". They start thinking about finding Jesus instead of robbing a place, cause when they see that big 12 bore bearing down on them, they yell Ohhhh Jesusssss!!:p:rolleyes:

While I am a great "respecter" of the AK47 Series of rifles as well as the AR15
( M16 series of rifles / carbines )...having been shot at , with both , the AK series and M16 rifle , as well as used the M16 series in combat.
They both work well for what they are...and are very much a viable rifle for defense.

That said :
I can not totally agree with the quoted statement....
Because as I said in my first post "Best" depends on a persons particular set of needs...
And what is "best" for one person or one given situation , may not be "best" for a different person or situation.

I have found that it is "best" not to tell others what will serve their needs...but it is a good idea to suggest different things that may work for them.
Andy

Agree on telling others what to do. However would you recomend a shotgun or AR/Ak to a first time buyer who just wants someting to defnd their house. I think the AR/ AK i a better choice for them if they arent concerned about hunting. For a first time gun buyer I would say AR/Ak, a shotgun is more for someone who is dedicated to it more. (Think in the same way a snub nose revolver is for someone who has perfected it vs a longer barreled one)

However would you recomend a shotgun or AR/Ak to a first time buyer who just wants someting to defnd their house.
All depends on :
The first time buyers shooting experience...
The quality of the firearms that the buyer is interested in...
The buyers living situation...
How many other people may have to use the same firearm in the household...
After having the buyer look at various firearms , help them pick the firearm that fits* their needs regardless of my likes or dislikes...
*Fits as in actual gun fit , is it comfortable to shoulder , trigger reach etc...as well as "fitting" their needs as defensive gun...
Andy

Agree on telling others what to do. However would you recomend a shotgun or AR/Ak to a first time buyer who just wants someting to defnd their house. I think the AR/ AK i a better choice for them if they arent concerned about hunting. For a first time gun buyer I would say AR/Ak, a shotgun is more for someone who is dedicated to it more. (Think in the same way a snub nose revolver is for someone who has perfected it vs a longer barreled one)

Never heard anyone describe a pump shotgun with a cylinder bore and 00 buck as being a technical tool.

I've shot through lots of barriers with a shotgun. Believe it or not, with everyone driving toward cartridges like 9mm because of low recoil, there are still lots of people that train with harder recoiling guns and do quite well with them. You have to train to use the recoil to your advantage and to assist in cycling the pump. Semiautos are pretty gentile these days.

I've been using shotguns quite a bit over the last 14 years of my career and have been hunting with them for over 20. There isnt a more versatile weapon. From squirrels to geese to elk to people, it does it all. If S were to really were to HTF, its a valuable tool.

If I had to pick only one, a shotgun would be it. :cool:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads