JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
55gr vs 430gr, 22 caliber vs 70 caliber. In the confines of a house, a shotgun removes chunks of meat and deflates heads.

My uncle is a trauma surgeon, and though its his opinion based on anecdotal situations, he says there is nothing more devastating. As an LEO who trains with this stuff and helps train others, the shotgun is easier to teach new shooters to get lethal hits.

So, those are the clowns you chose to prove your point?

Ithaca 37 to boot. Huh. ALL mass produced firearms have a "friday afternoon" version. I'd surely not call this hard evidence. AR failures? Where do I begin? :rolleyes:

Whatever.

All depends on :
The first time buyers shooting experience...
The quality of the firearms that the buyer is interested in...
The buyers living situation...
How many other people may have to use the same firearm in the household...
After having the buyer look at various firearms , help them pick the firearm that fits* their needs regardless of my likes or dislikes...
*Fits as in actual gun fit , is it comfortable to shoulder , trigger reach etc...as well as "fitting" their needs as defensive gun...
Andy
Andy you are spot on here and in my personal experience, it really took a lot of my OWN experiences with many different firearms, (for sure, others gave me many useful pointers and suggestions over the years) and acquired semi-expertise with a range of rifles, pistols, shotties. When push came to shove in my life it was a humble older 9mm that leveled the playing field. It could have been any of a number of firearms, but that ONE and all my years of accumulated experience came together...
My answer is, budget for and buy/rent/borrow(?) a variety and see what you like and are "naturally good with"... Practice, and use what you practice with, and PRAY to the Almighty that THAT TIME never comes to you or your home. Know that if such time comes, your life will change forever.

Maybe, maybe not.
They sure do a number to old bowling pins.

A shotgun a great option and used a pump action Mossberg 590A1 and later a FNH SLP semi-auto shotgun. I favor the semi-auto now but I take my pump action to the gun range as well. I still have my first shotgun with is a Maverick 88. Be sure you practice with a pump shotgun and be sure you don't short stroke it either. Practice, Practice, Practice. I have shot many cases of 00 buckshot at the gun range over the years. For HD distance the 00 buckshot pellets do not break out that much either.

I have a few ARs now and it is lighter you can make have all kinds of add-ons on an AR. The AR can hold more rounds than any shotgun too. My AR is basic and has LED light, and a two point sling.

Not to argue but I do want to see how oil will "gum" up a gun, i'm curious
I could submit my Sten gun when I got it for evidence... The damn thing was full of sticky goo that had once been oil. Fortunately for me, I have cleaned that sucker with acetone a couple times since then and then lightly oiled the parts.

In case anyone's interested, here's a chart showing shotgun pattern spread at different distances.
I've always considered 10 yards the max for HD defense shooting.
Notice how much spread there is listed at that distance and also notice the difference in the size of the patterns as you move from cylinder choke to full choke.....

ShotgunChokePatternSizeByDistance.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads