JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
If this thread should be in another location, please feel free to let me know.
Just moved here from MN and my older gps is completly set up for MN. Lowrance h20c loaded with thousands of lake depth maps and BWCA portages and camps. I went out to Mollola Rec coridor and found my 4x4, wife and me about 1 hour off the mollola forest road on logging roads up and down in the snow. The Forestry map i bought from the men in brown and green showed alot but was kind of useless after the first 20 different side roads and turns.
I really want to get out into the woods like that more and need to buy a new gps. Any preferences on new models that use the new smaller chip. And brands of maps, preloaded or loadable and maybe downloadable that will have all these forest roads in order to drive way back where Saskuach might be. Will use for hunting and fishing but mostly want something with all of the forest roads and logging roads for map reference. Thanks guys and love the site so far.

Last Edited:
If this thread should be in another location, please feel free to let me know.
Just moved here from MN and my older gps is completly set up for MN. Lowrance h20c loaded with thousands of lake depth maps and BWCA portages and camps. I went out to Mollola Rec coridor and found my 4x4, wife and me about 1 hour off the mollola forest road on logging roads up and down in the snow. The Forestry map i bought from the men in brown and green showed alot but was kind of useless after the first 20 different side roads and turns.
I really want to get out into the woods like that more and need to buy a new gps.

Just curious, are you using with a good detail map? I can get lost in my back yard with just one tool but if I have a compass, map and GPS I can at least figure out which way is North. Seriously though, in many cases the GPS gives me a map location to orient myself.
Having said all that I like my Garmin's but that's same as I like my Sig's vs your Glocks.
Welcome to the great Northwest where you get Mountains with your snow. No worries, my wife's a MN girl and we let her stay.

I wouldn't rely solely on GPS on the west side of the Cascades due to the deep canyons, which can block signals. If you can get a USFS Fireman's map, (which is at 1"= 1 Mile), you can navigate pretty well by road number and compass. Ask at any ranger station..some will give them out some won't. USFS and BLM recreational maps are fine as well, but do not show topographic info. Spending a few dollars on a quality pocket altimeter is a good idea as with a topo map a compass and an altimeter you can do just fine..and none of these tools needs power. Welcome to the NW. Don't plan on universal GPS or cell coverage, leave info on your route with others and you can keep your name out of the papers!!!

I use this one on my Garmin. It covers all of Oregon, Washington, and Idaho. Its also free. Garmin also sells an Oregon map but the subscription is over $100.

North West United States Garmin Compatible Map - GPSFileDepot

I've spent alot of time up on Hood, the gorge and coast range and I've yet to find a place where my Garmin 60Cx couldn't get a signal.

Keep looking......they're out there. Although with the newer generation units they are getting fewer and further between.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top