JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I picked up a neat book years ago called the SAS survival guide. While much is common sence, I took from that the ideas of a small "Pocket Kit" that I carry and use often! Over the years I have changed this into what I use now days! I built mine with a Pelican case for Phones and turned this little pocket kit into a perfect system! With this kit I can ( and have practiced often) survive most any challenge! It has become THE most important set of tools! If I always have it in my pocket, I'm going to have a much better chance!

Yes, great book. Lofty Wiseman had great ideas, including the survival kit in a waterproof soap dish. Carried one in my bail-out bag on my tank.;) Now everyone packs them into Altoid tins. Not so much room.:oops:

If the SHTF your sat phone will be dead and useless. Better to have a lighter. I think that the ubiquitous Bics rule here. One gadget? For me, Bic lighter. I can light a fire in record time with one. I already know that I can make a knife out of a piece of scrap metal and a rock. Can't start a fire that easy though. With a fire I can both stay warm and boil water to kill the bugs, even if all I have is a curved piece of bark to hold the water. Saw a utube vid where a guy boiled water in a plastic pop bottle over a campfire. Never tried that one but that guy made it work great. (We all know not to put plastic in a fire as there will most likely be all kinds of plastic nasties in the water, but in an emergency....)

Anyway, if one of you has a Sat phone, and one of you has a knife, another a hatchet, someone brings a survival kit in a waterproof soap dish, another shows up with a box of decent tea bags, and one of you has a generator or solar charger, and one of you has a pistol, when I show up with my bic lighter, we'll all be kicked back sippin' tea and all be OK as long as we stick together. And we all won't be so fikkan cold once I get there. Pretty sure we could use a few more dudes showing up with their choice of gadgets to round up the party.
:s0133:

BTW, side note here, anyone thinking of buying a hatchet or axe. Garage sales often have quality old product for cheap. Or I'd suggest you might look at Ebay and pick up a head or even a group of heads. You not only get a great deal, some of the metals were superb back when (don't go to far back in history, 50's and 60's metal was very high quality:) You can get prefabbed Hickory handle with wedges at the local hardware store, or we have all kinds of Yew trees around here in the forest, and although you can't legally mess with them (long story but google Taxol Pacific Yew Tree), but pick up a dead Yew branch under a live tree and poof, voila, you'll soon have a better handle than hickory with a fair bit of effort. 2 more words if you start whittling a Yew stick to be your handle (or you just have an Axe with a loose head), ...CHAIR LOC. Amazing stuff. It's like when your brother borrows your axe, forgets about it and leaves it on the wet ground. The wood swells. In that situation, your brother is long gone and when it drys the head is very loose. Chair loc permanently swells the wood without using wedges to keep it in place. Helps keep moisture out for when you loan your Axe, Hatchet, or splitting maul with the wood handle to your brother next time too:)
img_chairloc_plus.jpg

Last Edited:
Well if we are going for the party route, I'll leave the sat phone at home and bring the O/U, trap thrower, and enough clays and shells to last a really long time for everyone...... :D

If the SHTF your sat phone will be dead and useless. Better to have a lighter. I think that the ubiquitous Bics rule here. One gadget? For me, Bic lighter. I can light a fire in record time with one. I already know that I can make a knife out of a piece of scrap metal and a rock. Can't start a fire that easy though. With a fire I can both stay warm and boil water to kill the bugs, even if all I have is a curved piece of bark to hold the water. Saw a utube vid where a guy boiled water in a plastic pop bottle over a campfire. Never tried that one but that guy made it work great. (We all know not to put plastic in a fire as there will most likely be all kinds of plastic nasties in the water, but in an emergency....)

Anyway, if one of you has a Sat phone, and one of you has a knife, another a hatchet, someone brings a survival kit in a waterproof soap dish, another shows up with a box of decent tea bags, and one of you has a generator or solar charger, and one of you has a pistol, when I show up with my bic lighter, we'll all be kicked back sippin' tea and all be OK as long as we stick together. And we all won't be so fikkan cold once I get there. Pretty sure we could use a few more dudes showing up with their choice of gadgets to round up the party.
:s0133:

BTW, side note here, anyone thinking of buying a hatchet or axe. Garage sales often have quality old product for cheap. Or I'd suggest you might look at Ebay and pick up a head or even a group of heads. You not only get a great deal, some of the metals were superb back when (don't go to far back in history, 50's and 60's metal was very high quality:) You can get prefabbed Hickory handle with wedges at the local hardware store, or we have all kinds of Yew trees around here in the forest, and although you can't legally mess with them (long story but google Taxol Pacific Yew Tree), but pick up a dead Yew branch under a live tree and poof, voila, you'll soon have a better handle than hickory with a fair bit of effort. 2 more words if you start whittling a Yew stick to be your handle (or you just have an Axe with a loose head), ...CHAIR LOC. Amazing stuff. It's like when your brother borrows your axe, forgets about it and leaves it on the wet ground. The wood swells. In that situation, your brother is long gone and when it drys the head is very loose. Chair loc permanently swells the wood without using wedges to keep it in place. Helps keep moisture out for when you loan your Axe, Hatchet, or splitting maul with the wood handle to your brother next time too:)
View attachment 278593

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads