JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The best gadget is your mind, learn as much as you can and practice what you learn, things break. Learn what grows in your area and can be used when needed and what may not be readily available during inclimate weather. Things needed in my book weather hunting a few miles from the rig or rafting a wild river for a couple days are, heat/shelter (egg carton with wax and shavings will start a fire w ith 2 feet of snow on the ground) and a military poncho, life straw or other water source or means of purification, small amount of high protien food (generally have plenty of stored fat). Small first aid pouch, spool of 30-40 lb powerpro fishing line (fiberlike cable) for obvious reasons as well as snares and such. The biggest killers during incliment weather are panic, hypothermia and dehydration, in that order. If you get caught after dark and are unsure of the route out, pitch camp, stay warm and stay alive, things will be peachie when the sun comes up, think about what you need for tools and go as light as
you can then pack extras for comfort. TRAIN YOUR BRAIN Would like to hear what yall pack as necessities (?)

2nd best gadget - reading glasses. last time I went fishing I was shocked how time has taken away my ability to thread a fly-pattern onto my tippet.

Mind is for sure number 1 but only if you can see what's in front of you... so maybe a flashlight is number 3, lol!

Last Edited:
Number ONE should be a positive attitude! Knowing you are in control and knowing how to do the small tasks will make your chances much better then not! Making fire is not only one of the very first challenges you face, it is also a serious moral booster! Finding water and keeping hydrated is also a good motivator! Shelter would be the third task to accomplish! Once you have reached this level, your chances go up dramatically!!!

Yew, however, you can spend 5 or 6 hrs building shelter and still not make it thru the night, you MUST insulate yourself from the ground, more heat is lost thru (i think this is right way) conduction then thru convection (unless very heavy wind) in which you prolly picked a poor spot. Thanks for added input guys. I try not to count on battery powered gadgets because they get heavy, however they do warm me up when they fail and im not wanting them to

I figured you more of a Kaiser blade sorta feller!
lame joke.. it looks like an exclamation mark..
mmhmm

spiked-axe-375x1951.jpg

spiked-axe-375x1951.jpg

Do like that there ura-ki, out of a railroad spike would be peachie
I made that out of a big old ball pee hammer. The spike end was the round peen end, and the hammer end was fattened out into the blade shape! I had seen different ideas of this type of ax and combined a few ideas into this one! Great for smashing through things, prying things open, or pinning doors shut, not to mention other uses!!!

...the one you have with you.
In many of (our) cases it's your knife; my standard EDC kit includes a Leatherman Charge which contains a small liner-locked saw, among other handy things.

Of course we prep for the mission, so to speak, so what you'd have when going on an intercity trip is different than a hike along the Rogue river.

The Charge is on the belt all the time, if I lost it I'd get a replacement the same day.

...the one you have with you.
In many of (our) cases it's your knife; my standard EDC kit includes a Leatherman Charge which contains a small liner-locked saw, among other handy things.

Of course we prep for the mission, so to speak, so what you'd have when going on an intercity trip is different than a hike along the Rogue river.

The Charge is on the belt all the time, if I lost it I'd get a replacement the same day.
Well put. Gear is nice (awesome and lifesaving) and try to carry some good stuff daily but really try to think when it's dance time.. the real thing is to be able to use what you have.. and know what you need/to do. anyway

I picked up a neat book years ago called the SAS survival guide. While much is common sence, I took from that the ideas of a small "Pocket Kit" that I carry and use often! Over the years I have changed this into what I use now days! I built mine with a Pelican case for Phones and turned this little pocket kit into a perfect system! With this kit I can ( and have practiced often) survive most any challenge! It has become THE most important set of tools! If I always have it in my pocket, I'm going to have a much better chance!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top