JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Don't forget trained tracking ability, might save lives in SHTF. Some breeds are better than others at this.. Rotties are very capable of tracking in general

Don't forget trained tracking ability, might save lives in SHTF. Some breeds are better than others at this.. Rotties are very capable of tracking in general

That's a great point. Here's a great game to play. Scent a rag by wiping it under the arm of someone. Have that person go hide, and then bring out the dog, give them the scent and have them go find them. Just about any dog breed can do this, and in an emergency situation (we love in an earthquake zone) your household pet, and a silly game, might just allow you to rescue someone's life.

Obviously, this game requires a little ramp up and practice, but you would be surprised at how quickly a dog will pick this up.

We used to start by laying multiple scent rags in a line with the 'scented' person at one end and the dog at the other. The handler walks the dog to each rag in turn(after issuing the find command), the dog will naturally smell each, but always give a command to smell. Once you get to the end, and the person, the handler gives the dog lots of praise, and then let's the person they found give the dog lots of fuss too.

It will make a great party trick at your family BBQ this July 4th!

^^^Did that with Lilly our Bull Mastif, they have terrific noses! No training though, here's the underware, where's the kid? Found him first time! We only did it twice, told the wife that the grandson was the only one I wanted to find! LOL!!!
Oh, CrossHairs is right, a great game!

Yes crosshairs, my wife and I do love in an earthquake zone, but if we're the reason for all the shaking and stuff, danged if after all these years we still don't shake things up a bit. Sorry folks!

Haha! I did not notice my original typo, but I'll leave it there, it's funnier that way.

And if your still shakin' it up after all these years, good on yer!

I love the herding breeds they are smart enough to think for themselves. I have a five year old Mcnab that is one heck of a truck dog. I have had large / larger dogs up to 133 lbs and to me they are difficult from the perspective if I had to move them I cant do it by myself - 133Lbs of dead limp weight is alot to handle. A bigger dog would be worse in my opinion. To me a Ilke to keep them from 50 -80lbs in size.
Here is Jake- Jake is onoy 57 lbs. I think more of him than I do alot of people.

James Ruby
That is because dogs are smarter than a large % of the population of these United States.

100_0224.jpg

The best breed is the one appropriate for your needs. Don't want a 5# dog for a live stock guardian dog but you don't get a herding dog for a house pet. Rotties will always have a place in my heart.

But as I get older and am living a more rural life, the smaller breeds like herding dogs are causing more interest in me. Less damage on vehicles is an added plus. Less space needed inside the truck has become more important also.

With the recent video of a cop shooting a rot doing exactly whats in its nature to do. Id say the best dog is one that the cops don't shoot. My dog is like a child to me. If my dog were to get shot at the fault of a trigger happy piece of bubblegum, laws would no longer apply to me. Our judicial system in my opinion is a joke. I would not let the punishment of said shooter be up to the courts. An eye for an eye in my book. This post may put me on a "list" but I don't care. People need to know that we as a people will punish criminals regardless of occupation and they cannot hide behind our broken government.

That video made me think hardcore about who was to blame for the dogs death. As I watched it, I filled with anger. As I thought about it more, I was P.O,ed the dog died doing what he was supposed to do, at the police for doing it, but also at the owner for not securing an animal that loved him so much he had to die proving it. I guarantee I would have rolled the windows up more and locked the vehicle if it were mine, I know mine would jump to my defence, and this incident wasn't worth him dying to protect me. There are those that own particular breeds of dogs who probably shouldn't. The man in the video knew flat out he was being approached by the police as demonstrated by his blase (this ain't the first time) manner in the video, yet he failed to secure his dog and his dog died for it.
He did nothing illegal by filming the situation, and as such should not have been approached by the LEO's in the first place, Yet his dog's dead. Yes it angers me, but for more reason than one.

That video made me think hardcore about who was to blame for the dogs death. As I watched it, I filled with anger. As I thought about it more, I was P.O,ed the dog died doing what he was supposed to do, at the police for doing it, but also at the owner for not securing an animal that loved him so much he had to die proving it. I guarantee I would have rolled the windows up more and locked the vehicle if it were mine, I know mine would jump to my defence, and this incident wasn't worth him dying to protect me. There are those that own particular breeds of dogs who probably shouldn't. The man in the video knew flat out he was being approached by the police as demonstrated by his blase (this ain't the first time) manner in the video, yet he failed to secure his dog and his dog died for it.
He did nothing illegal by filming the situation, and as such should not have been approached by the LEO's in the first place, Yet his dog's dead. Yes it angers me, but for more reason than one.

I agree it took bad judgement of a few people to create a perfect storm. I just hope people realize that we now live in a rogue police state. EVERYTHING you do in a public setting needs to be carefully thought out because it takes very little to create an incedent like this. I doubt those cops will be punished like they should. I just wonder how much longer and how many more people and animals must die before we have enough.

Got2gohuntin,

My friend.

> Our judicial system in my opinion is a joke.

Speaking as a regular in courts, all I can say is it went from justice to political over a fairly short period of time.

> I would not let the punishment of said shooter be up to the courts. An eye for an eye in my book.

Think about that. That makes you part of the problem. Why shouldn't the killer pay the price. Which is his/her lifetime of service to you. Why should that person die? Why not make the criminal pay. Not just to society but to the victim. Let them work off a set number of years. No paroles or getting off for "proper" behavior. We should never praise someone for doing the bare minimum. Let them build you a house if they want to shorten their sentence.

> This post may put me on a "list" but I don't care.

I hope this only adds you to the victims list.

> People need to know that we as a people will punish criminals regardless of occupation and they cannot hide behind our broken government.

It's our broken government that no longer works for us. I think we can agree on that.

Hang in there my friend.

Got2gohuntin,

> I agree it took bad judgement of a few people to create a perfect storm.

A few? Does that include al the support staff and management? The "actors" following "proper" protocol. Meaning, they were doing it right. Now that is scary. No personal responsibilities.

> I just hope people realize that we now live in a rogue police state.

You mean country, right?

> EVERYTHING you do in a public setting needs to be carefully thought out because it takes very little to create an incedent like this.

Public? Remember they are collecting your phone calls and your shopping habits?

> I doubt those cops will be punished like they should.

Like drug dealers, they didn't do anything wrong.

> I just wonder how much longer and how many more people and animals must die before we have enough.

I agree. But I can no longer wait for others to get a clue. I am one of those choosing to find a place to disappear, become self sufficient with a minimalist attitude. Getting to old to fight. Prefer to live out my remaining years with a loving wife and successful children to ease my worries. We failed as a generation. We grew up in a great nation that has become a joke with the same elite rich shoving their will down our throats. But let the next generation do what they can. We just need to find a way to live out the rest of our days without starving to death. No one but us care. My favorite joke is that we support our troops. Yet more of them are dying after returning than died "in the fight." 8 disabled vets to every dead soldier. We celebrate the dead and ignore the disabled returning vets.

Sorry, got diverted to a soap box.

AKC Top 10 Most Popular Dog Breeds
#1 – Labrador Retriever
labrador-retriever-2472269_640.jpg

#2 – German Shepherd
dog-1032612_640.jpg

#3 – Golden Retriever
puppy-2645981_640.jpg

#4 – English Bulldog
english-bulldog-2434814_640.jpg

#5 – Beagle
pet-2293950_640.jpg

#6 – French Bulldog
french-bulldog-2365684_640.jpg

#7 – Poodle
standard-poodle-1549558_640.jpg

#8 – Rottweiler
rottweiler-747859_640.jpg

#9 – Yorkshire Terrier
dog-1543352_640.jpg

#10 – Boxer

Sorry, couldn't pass on a good dead thread meme.

As for the OP's original question, we currently don't have a dog, though we have other animals. Our last dog was a border collie/springer spaniel mix, and by far, the smartest dog we ever had. We finally had to put her down in 2009 at 16 years old. What an amazing animal she was.

My other favorites are golden retrievers (my dad had several), German shepherd (perhaps the most loyal we ever had and most ready to defend the family - which he did back in the 70's when a drunk guy with a gun showed up in our driveway late one night), and if I were looking for a dog today, I would add a red or blue healer to the list of possibilities.

My least favorite - poodles and poodle mixes. We had a poodle mix growing up - dumbest and meanest dog we ever had.

English Mastiff / Black Lab mix – 110 lbs.
Bernese Mountain Dog - 120 lbs.

Food: one large bag every three weeks.
The good news is they poop in the woods, otherwise I'd have to keep my snow shovel handy year round.

We adopted this guy from a rescue outfit. Half German Shepherd, half Malamute and half mental patient. He fiercely protective of kids (all kids) and has a taste for rats and squirrels. We got really lucky with him, except that he destroyed all the carpets in the house. A small price to pay I guess. He does come in and wake us up every morning just before the alarm goes off though. Not sure how he does that. I guess that he is a "watch" dog.

IMG_20170622_193728_edit mac flag.jpg IMG_20170928_175532.jpg

We've had several dogs over the years. My wife's dog when we got married, was a black lab mix of some kind, looked like a 3/4 size black lab. I would describe her as loyal ...... if she liked you, you were gold, if not then just leave her alone. When she passed, we had two more dogs. Oh sure they liked being around us, barked when things weren't right on the property ..... but just didn't seem all that loyal. Heck, they'd walk off with anyone. Nice dogs, just not all that loyal.
Brings us up to now, we adopted a 7 year old, 55 pound, male, Bull Terrier last year from our local no kill shelter. He is a total character and does weird stuff, and is a huge snuggler. He is however, very loyal. When friends come over to visit, he waits to see how react to them before warming up to them. If my wife and I are all smiles and handshakes ...... he's good with that. He's not trained per-se, he just minds pretty well.

cpt2.jpeg

I have 3 Rottweilers and they are the best protectors! They are great with my kids and very loyal. Will do anything to make you happy but scare the crap out of intruders. 20170811_081731.jpg

I was walkin Fred the other day and Rott went running loose across the street in font of us. Fred goes nuts ( Silky) and the rott turns and starts running back after Fred. Thought we were both dead:p. I yelled " YOU STOP " and dang if the rot didn't pull up right there and that was it.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top