JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Ok, I have to chime in here.

Not a great guard dog, not vicious at all, but I love our two golden retrievers to death. We have an 11 year old female (60lbs), and a six year old male (90 lbs), Mia and Harley. I trained them by accident very well, and they know a lot of commands (especially eat). :)

They do alert/bark at strangers. Somehow they can sense that it's my son, not a stranger, coming to our front door. Not sure they would ever attack someone, like the saying goes, their bark is worse than their bite.

They love to play at a moments notice, or just lay at your feet sleeping.

Downsides, they shed all over, and sh*t all over. If we neglect cleaning up our 1/4 acre for a few days, it is filled with land mines.

Here they are at their favorite activity:
Goldens.jpg

Goldens.jpg

How much does Rex weigh? I'm looking for a big GSD to meet my female GSD. Here's a pic of her,she's about 85lbs. Not sure where you live but I'm in olympia.

Junolifevest.jpg

P9270156.jpg

Rex is 90lbs and amazingly athletic. The dog can defy gravity and make some very acrobatic catches when going after his tennis balls. He is fixed however so won't be able to help you out in that department. Too bad though because she's a beauty and I'm sure the pups would have been spectacular! Is she as OCD as Rex? I can only imagine how he would be with puppies trying to keep track of them all. Might send him over the edge!

Rex is 90lbs and amazingly athletic. The dog can defy gravity and make some very acrobatic catches when going after his tennis balls. He is fixed however so won't be able to help you out in that department. Too bad though because she's a beauty and I'm sure the pups would have been spectacular! Is she as OCD as Rex? I can only imagine how he would be with puppies trying to keep track of them all. Might send him over the edge!

When comes to being in the water or fetching sticks or balls,yes very OCD,if we're not home people cannot get out of their car,if we're there she'll let them but she watches them until she knows their ok. My daughter takes her to town for walks,and she'll get between her and people,very protective.

A dachshund, the german dog of death! alone they are terrifying, rated the #1 biter, in a wild pack they roam the black forest, and can strip a cow down to the bone in minutes. Yes they are a land Pirahna, beware.

IMAG00051.JPG

Seriuosly though, I've had 5 over the last 20 years, 2 left (rest in peace little friends). best little watch dogs, you cannot sneak up on them, I've tried. Raise hell whenever anyone gets close (within a 100 yards). Very territorial. will try to take on any size animal without regard for their size. They love bunnies, birds, any thing in the grass, they love using those noses!

Best of all, little turds, not those moose sized big dog turds.

A dachshund, the german dog of death! alone they are terrifying, rated the #1 biter, in a wild pack they roam the black forest, and can strip a cow down to the bone in minutes. Yes they are a land Pirahna, beware.

IMAG00051.JPG

Seriuosly though, I've had 5 over the last 20 years, 2 left (rest in peace little friends). best little watch dogs, you cannot sneak up on them, I've tried. Raise hell whenever anyone gets close (within a 100 yards). Very territorial. will try to take on any size animal without regard for their size. They love bunnies, birds, any thing in the grass, they love using those noses!

Best of all, little turds, not those moose sized big dog turds.

+1 for weiner dogs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

History lesson.. Rotties originally were Roman herding and war dogs, left in Rottweil, Germany as the Roman empire fell. The Germans fine tuned the breed for guard work and cattle herding. The properly bred ones make fine family dogs but take a strong hand in training. You get what you work for. I, personally as a JKD instructor would not in any way to face an angry male defending his lady or the children, and I have broken two alpha male Rotties in my time, like canine stallions they were. I say broken, only to refer to total family control over those lads

I've had two breeds for the last 18 years. Duplicate pairs. Both standard schnauzers were super "alarm" dogs. Said to have been bread to guard stables back in Germany. Super intelligent--both of my male standards were of high IQ. They take running security very seriously. I've had two airedales and currently have one female airedale. All of my airedales have been females. While my male standards "rule" the home front, the female airedales have consistently dominated and ruled the world "off" of my property. The standards take the leadership on the property and the airedale take the leadership off the property. Both female airedales become insulted and become very protective of their husbands if either a male or female dog that takes a wrongful pass at their husbands. My latest airedale, now 18 months, unlike other airedales, does bark. Her bark is very authoritative.

I pitty the poor soul that enters my home without out permission--between one 3rd and one 4th degree black belt in the home along with closely held pistols, my dogs would either give the intruder a heart attack or they'd loose limbs that were chewed off by the airedale. I know of one intruder that mistakenly put his foot over and into a window in an effort to enter a home. The airedale locked on to his ankle and would not give it up for a bone. Eventually the intruder freed himself, and limped down the street where he was arrested by Pdx's police--noting his missing shoe. The officer's asked the intruder if he wanted to go back to the home he attempted to burgularize to get his shoe. He said no-- "Just keep me away from that damb dog!".

I still miss our Bluetick Coonhound. He was very kind, but would only be good for alerting/barking.

The vid is not mine but those who like hounds will enjoy it. :)
Bluetick coonhound puppies - YouTube

Peter

I have owned and raised blueticks for almost 40 years. They are the only dogs I want around the place. Nothing moves that they don't sound off. They're not vicious, but they are protective and intimidating, and woe be to the coyote that gets too close to the property. Boomer and Sky were in the kennel this morning, and Molly was roaming the property. I was working in the garden when Boomer and Sky went nuts. Ten seconds later the UPS truck came into view on the main road about 200 yards from us. They have the sound of it memorized. If anything out of the ordinary occurs at night they sound off, and they have been bred for 150 years to be heard for miles. They've alerted us to coyotes, trespassers, and even a sheep stuck in the fence. They're great with my 3 year old daughter, who pulls their tails and tries to ride them like horses, but give them a lion or a bear to chase and they have no fear and no "off" switch. They'll trail a critter for miles and never give up. They can run all day, but prefer laying in the sun on the porch. They are very loyal, and extremely smart, which sometimes makes it more difficult to train them.

Here's Sky:

Sky2013Face4.jpg
SkyWinNationalsCropped3.jpg

And here's Sky and Boomer (her dad) when Sky was about 6 months old ready for a trip to the feed store:

SkyBoomerCropped.jpg

Sky with my daughter:

Sky2013Aeryn.jpg

History lesson.. Rotties originally were Roman herding and war dogs, left in Rottweil, Germany as the Roman empire fell. The Germans fine tuned the breed for guard work and cattle herding. The properly bred ones make fine family dogs but take a strong hand in training. You get what you work for. I, personally as a JKD instructor would not in any way to face an angry male defending his lady or the children, and I have broken two alpha male Rotties in my time, like canine stallions they were. I say broken, only to refer to total family control over those lads

^^ Yup, and pulled butcher's meat carts too. They can be a little bullish and strong-willed sometimes, but with dedicated training, they are awesome dogs. I took my german shepherd I had through obedience training when I was younger, and while she really was a great dog, I do prefer the rottweiler. Every bit as smart and devoted, a more confident fearless guard, more clownish and playful personality towards family, and less shedding hair!

I'm not knocking the german shepherd, they are great dogs. So are dobermans. I just prefer rotts for my family. When we go hiking in the woods I take both the rott and dobie, with them and my 10MM I feel pretty safe. While the dobie is faster, not much will get by a loyal 140lb. rottweiler.

Heres Axel watching over us at a secluded river swimming hole as people walked up:

Axel at the Santiam.jpg

One of the best SHTF/guard dogs is...no kidding...a toy poodle.

Mine is neurotic and hyper-alert. He barely sleeps. At night he lays on the back of the couch in the living room and looks out the window. He ignores routine noises or anyone on the sidewalk, but if he sees/hears something out of the ordinary in the front or back yard he runs upstairs and informs us with a shrill, yapping, persistent bark that is impossible to ignore. You are not getting within 15' of my house, my garage or my car without setting that little booger off. He only has a few teeth left, so I dont need to worry about him biting anyone or being a liability. He eats less than half a cup of kibble a day and makes one or two poops the size of a Tootsie roll that you can literally clean up with a toothpick. I can stick him in my coat pocket if I want to take him somewhere and he is happy as a clam in there.

Minimal food needs...minimal waste....minimal liability...excellent awareness and vigilance. Cant beat that for SHTF. No, he cant fight and he wont intimidate anybody but I dont need a dog to do those things. I need a dog to wake me up and alert me so that I can determine who needs to be intimidated or bitten, and how hard, and with what.

I am a UPS driver who spends 11 hours a day delivering packages to homes in mostly rural areas. Most of these homes have dogs and many of them run loose, so dealing with other peoples dogs on their property in the role of an "intruder" is something I have a lot of experience (25 years) doing.

You would be amazed (and maybe a little disturbed) how many supposedly "mean" dogs can be won over with nothing more than a few kind words and a biscuit. Yes, I'm talking about your dog. Your pit bull, your Doberman, your Rottie. The one that was barking like crazy and acting all tough when I pullled into your driveway, but which jumped right into the open door of my truck the moment I killed the engine and took a biscuit from me or is trying to get up into my lap to be petted.

I especially love it when the owner comes running out of the house, all apologetic and concerned about the fact that his "vicious" guard dog was barking at me and jumping into my truck, only to find said dog up in my lap munching on a biscuit or lying flat on its back on the floor of the cab getting a belly rub.

The sad reality is that a lot of people have an overrated sense of how effective their so-called "guard dog" actually is when it comes to deterring or intimidating people. In my opinion, a dog should serve as an alarm and a companion, nothing else.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top