JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It's been a long time since we had any dogs. But still of all the dogs we had was the pit bulls. We had two at various times. Super intelligent and afraid of nothing. They will eat anything and everything, if you let them. Once our female left home and later that night we got a call from the Gresham police saying our dog had found a car with the window down and went for a ride. The girl was scared to death but found our Pit to be a very friendly dog...but it ate all of her cat food. The tattoo paid off. Unfortunately we are too old to have a dog, but if we did get a dog it would be the pit bull.

I have owned several different large breeds over the years. My kids grew up with a bullmastiff and pitbull that people thought I was crazy for having them around my children but they were the sweetest lapdogs of all time. I live quite a way out of the city and there is no one coming for at least an hour if you dial 911 so I always felt more comfortable having the dogs out with the kids when they would be exploring in the woods. Never had a problem with either of them being aggressive towards other people and just their presence seemed to be a great deterrence to the idiots that can't read the private property/no trespassing signs. The biggest problem I had with them was their uncanny ability to sniff out and dequill every porcupine between I-5 and Mt St.Helens.
Now that they are resting in peace and the kids have grown and moved away, we finally decide to get another dog a couple of years ago and brought home an 8 week old German Shepherd. Rex is the first German Shepherd I have ever owned and they are quite unique in their behavior but I have no doubt that my wife is safe when she is home alone with him. His biggest issue is severe OCD and needing to know where everyone is at all times. My stepson and his girlfriend are staying with us for a couple of months before they move back East and both have night jobs. Rex has to check the perimeter of the house and if their cars are here each night before bed and then again once they get home. He then sleeps until morning where he goes out and makes his rounds again making sure everything is where it should be. It's actually quite comical except for the fact that he comes to me to let him out every time. For some reason, he knows not to wake up my wife in the middle of the night. His is also quite OCD about his tennis balls and prefers them over food. He's not big on visitors to the house but tolerates them after a few minutes most times. There have been a few people he just doesn't like and I trust his judgment on them so it's no big deal.
For me, it's not about having an attack dog but one that alerts you to anything before it can become a problem and Rex certainly does that. He hears cars coming long before I do and lets me know in plenty of time. I have no doubt that he will wake me at night long before anyone could ever get inside the house.

When I was a kid, we had a German Shepherd-Norwegian Elk Hound mix. Chuka, our dog was fearless, would attack any number of dogs on our property, but never bit a kid. Routinely scrapped with coyotes on our 80 acres and always made it home. great watchdog, fast and I mean fast. Tangled with porcupines at least 3 times (I guess he thought they might be tasty enough even with the quills in his nose). Only thing that ever freaked him out was in a dark, dirt cellar there was a weird unearthly sound coming from some creature racing around in the midnight dark howling. His hackles were up and the hairs on my neck were too because I had never seem him so freaked out nort heard such a squall. So I finally get the flashlight on this darting ball of grey and black fur. It was a cat with a tin can stuck on its head! A few seconds later it slammed into the wall and the can came off. Chuka's demeanor changed immediately and he looked up at me with a look like: "Oh, its just a stupid cat!" and he turned around trotted out. Funny as hell coming from a dog that routinely would send a group of neighborhood dogs fleeing for their lives. If they were fast enough to get past our fence line that ran perpendicular to the road he'd let them go, if not he was all over them starting with the biggest first. He would stampede the cows but we never got him trained like sheepdog.;)
I think he live to be over 14.

Brutus Out

Great thread idea. Our dog died two months ago, so we're starting to think a little bit about her successor.

I have to admit, I enjoy not having bushels of dog hair rolling around the house 45 minutes after vacuuming. Hell, if I waited three days there'd be enough hair to make another dog. So, I'm thinking something that has a lot less in the shed department.

I don't mind a smaller dog, either. She was about 90 pounds and that translates to a lot of picking up after in the back yard. Other folks in the family say they'll help, but I'm enough of a realist to know who'll end up doing it. Cutting the dog's weight in half means about half the amount coming out of the west end when it's looking at Mt. Hood.

I don't care about the thing being able to tear the arm off an intruder, but want it attentive enough to know when someone's around and loud enough to make it clear to a potential intruder that it's likely not worth the effort to come inside.

Much to think about.

I grew up with lots of labs. I pretty much dislike them all. They are great if you enjoy buying lots of dog food and picking up crap while getting nothing in return. Bought a blue heeler pup almost 5 years ago and for me its been the best dog. I do construction and she goes to work with me everyday. Ive given up on owning nice new trucks because of the mess she creates in them. Between the hair and mud that seems to be every where in oregon, Its a lost cause. Shes about 40 lbs eats 2 cups of food a day. Which means a 35 lb bag of doog food lasts a long time. Great gaurd dog that loves kids and playing catch. Shes a spaz when company comes over but calms down shortly. Shes bitten a few people that have stuck their hands in the truck or showed up to the house uninvited. Both of which are rewarded by me. I work in crappy neighborhoods and I love knowing my truck and tools are safe. Shes small enough to go anywhere and big enough to make most change their mind about doing anything stupid. What she cant handle I know my daily concealed weapon can. If you cant spend most of your time around them id never recommend one to you. All in all for me at the time shes by far the best dog I could own.

Have had two Dobermans (after a dozen other dogs/breeds) and I will never be without a Doberman in my life from here on. Never really thought much of them until I met my future wife. She had a well breed and highly trained female. She got her after suffering some break-ins. She was a great dog - if a bit clingy. After she passed we got a male. He is well bred and is highly intelligent - he is a pleasure to work with on training (as compared with my experiences with labs, setters and pointers), he is so eager to learn and learns fast! The only downside is that he can be a bit of a pest if he isn't occupied. was more of a problem when he was a pup than now, but even now I seems to act out when he feels he is being neglected - nothing bad, but loves to steal socks/shoes and hide them (doesn't chew on them thank goodness) or help himself to any paper money left within his reach (I think I have sifted over $100 from his dog run remnants). He too can be a bit clingy and both have had some skin irritation/autoimmune problems - the American bloodlines seem to need an infusion of some European blood.

They were both great around friends and family that were accepted into the pack and were reserved with folks they don't know. Neither has ever been aggressive toward anyone or another dog, but both seem to be fearless toward anything. Even loud or strange noises seem to arise curiosity. The only time I have seen one protect when I was watching my wife taking the female for a walk. As they returned they passed by a neighbors house and their Rott charged. The dog placed herself between the Rott and my wife and waited. Even though she gave the Rott 20 pounds or so she deftly put him on his back and pinned him. I don't know if she was lucky or that good, but my regard for Dobies sure went up that day. Now I just need to find another good hunting dog to go with the Dobie - looking hard for an all around hunting dog maybe a Spinone Italiano or a Braque d'Auvergne.

Ours is a lab/pit mix. I actually really like the resulting temperment. Friendly and great with kids, but still protective when something is not right. The problem with mixes though is that you are rolling the dice on which qualities you will get from each parent.

Pure breds are a crap-shoot too, sometimes! They tend to have more health problems than mixes, like Dobermans have heart issues, my Bull Mastif has always had ear problems, and I lost both of my Rottweilers to CA. Also you are at the breeders mercy as to temperament.

I love the herding breeds they are smart enough to think for themselves. I have a five year old Mcnab that is one heck of a truck dog. I have had large / larger dogs up to 133 lbs and to me they are difficult from the perspective if I had to move them I cant do it by myself - 133Lbs of dead limp weight is alot to handle. A bigger dog would be worse in my opinion. To me a Ilke to keep them from 50 -80lbs in size.
Here is Jake- Jake is onoy 57 lbs. I think more of him than I do alot of people.

James Ruby

Now that I've seen him, I do too! Handsome dog!

100_0224.jpg

Pure breds are a crap-shoot too, sometimes! They tend to have more health problems than mixes, like Dobermans have heart issues, my Bull Mastif has always had ear problems, and I lost both of my Rottweilers to CA. Also you are at the breeders mercy as to temperament.

That's one of the reasons I like Huskies so much, they are generally very healthy dogs.

I've always had pick-ups.
The kids came home with them, then left.
Cat
German Shepherd
Lab
Heeler
A pack mentality is way different than only one pet.
We symbolically fight every morning.
I used to bleed from tooth holes on my arms.
Not so much any more, since they grew out of their needle sharp puppy teeth.
We go almost everywhere together.
Nobody comes to the door or gate without great vocal fanfair.
The heeler will bite every visitor in the heel, no exceptions. I think he's trying to "herd".
Everyones afraid of the shepherd, he lunges and growles so fierce.
But it's the yellow lab that needs watching out for. She's all lovey dovey till she senses threat or challenge.
Is a real efficient rat and squirrel killer.
The Cat is old and needs feeding every few hours. The pack can tell time.
They start pestering me. I must feed the kitty or they get downright vocal.
The pack mentality is something to behold.

We have had Rotties since 1985.. they are us. The males are more aggressive and more difficult to obedience train, the females more stay at home and territorial. Oh the funny Rotties VS bad actors stories I could tell over a few cold ones.. :cool:

The males love to swim, the girls, not so much. We rescue them now and will be offering rescued Rotties in the future

I love the herding breeds they are smart enough to think for themselves. I have a five year old Mcnab that is one heck of a truck dog. I have had large / larger dogs up to 133 lbs and to me they are difficult from the perspective if I had to move them I cant do it by myself - 133Lbs of dead limp weight is alot to handle. A bigger dog would be worse in my opinion. To me a Ilke to keep them from 50 -80lbs in size.
Here is Jake- Jake is onoy 57 lbs. I think more of him than I do alot of people.

James Ruby

That's what I'm talkin' about! I don't have a huge yard, but it's not small, either. I'm hoping one of these wouldn't require a couple of acres. Do they get as neurotic as the aussies or the border collies if you don't run them for the functional equivalent of a half-marathon each day?

That's the thing that concerns me about some of the herding dogs. My sister had an australian that was neurotic as hell and a total control freak. It'd drive me nuts but worked for her cause they were two peas in a pod. That's why I tend toward mutts.

100_0224.jpg

That's what I'm talkin' about! I don't have a huge yard, but it's not small, either. I'm hoping one of these wouldn't require a couple of acres. Do they get as neurotic as the aussies or the border collies if you don't run them for the functional equivalent of a half-marathon each day?

That's the thing that concerns me about some of the herding dogs. My sister had an australian that was neurotic as hell and a total control freak. It'd drive me nuts but worked for her cause they were two peas in a pod. That's why I tend toward mutts.

We raised an actual border collie (two of them actually) on a .6 acre lot. they don't need space per se, they need committment and exercise. any herding dog will. if you exercise the dog, take them out for walks, throw the frisbee everyday, take him whenever you go hiking or backpacking or whatever, they won't be a problem. border collies are not "neurotic" that's a myth. they're INTELLIGENT and ATHLETIC and they need to keep busy or they will find something to be busy about. it's all a matter of giving the dog a task, they're loyal and like to please, so a collie never wants to appear "lazy" to their master....

Malamutes and Huskies are,can be great dogs but like people and can hunt the kitties too. Well Malamutes may hunt the neighbor dogs also.
But not sure they are the best guard dogs. Kinda flighty sometimes because they aren't too far off the wolf gene pool and are intelligent dogs.

Had a friend with a malamute. Big dog, friendly dog, dopiest looking grin you ever saw. By middle age he quickly got to the point where the number of years he'd lived exceeded the number of teeth in his head. He kept trying to grab moose by the hoof and it didn't work out so well for him dentally.

I would be lieing if I said that they did not require a lot of exercise - this is to my advantage because it keeps me moving even on days I dont want to. It helps me because I have type two diabetes and it forces me to be up and moving. These are active dogs. They are not a type of dog for those who do not want to go out each day and play ball.Wether it is raining or sleeting or snowing they need to run. You need to spend about a hour each day working them. Their intelligence is what truly amazes me - people wont believe this but I can actually talk to him and he seems to know and understand. Jake will bring the ball and put it in my lap when he is ready to play. He also does not want to be left at home.The one thing that I truly love about Mcnabs is that they don't normally bark unless there is something unusual or of note. They are quiet dogs. My wife has a beautiful copper tri color Aussie and their characters are tremendously different. The Aussie we call Annie is very vocal and still does what she wants though we are working on that. Jake is very protective of me - he has stopped dogs twice his size from getting close to me.

A story of Jake is when I was taking him to Petsmart training when he was a puppy.There was a lady there that had a Brown Doberman Pinscher his name was Rhin, probably out weighed Jake by about 20-30 lbs and Jake was maybe 45 at the time. - anyhow this lady wanted to let our pups play in the enclosed training area. Next thing I hear is a dog that is kying loud enough for everyone in the store to hear. I look over and Jake is standing on top of this Rhin and Rhin is screaming. Everyone in the store came to find out what was happening. This lady and Rhin moved to Phoenix and I hope that they are doing well. I never want to see something I care for come to harm and in this case none did. That was the last time Jake and Rhin played together.

When Jakes turn is up and I hope that is a long ways off I will pretty much do anything I need to do get another Mcnab. Cost will not be a consideration. I am not a christian but if there is a heaven for good dogs I think he has earned his place.

Respectfully

James Ruby

Oh yes I only own a 1/3 of an acre but we go out to the lumber company land or the "Thousand acre dog park" east of the Sandy river at least once a week.

That's odd, all my Dobermans loved to swim. Having had both I have noticed the difference in styles between Dobermans and Rottweilers. My Dobermans would alert to movement, etc a block away, not challenging just aware. My Rottweilers would kick back and snooze. Kind of "yeah, if something shows up and is a problem I'll take care of it! Don't wake me except for food or play, especially food! If you want to scratch me, try not to disturb me too much."
Love both breeds! Love all breeds!

Sorry, I misspoke! My Dobes loved to frolic in the water with us. Swimming, not so much!

I would be lieing if I said that they did not require a lot of exercise - this is to my advantage because it keeps me moving even on days I dont want to. It helps me because I have type two diabetes and it forces me to be up and moving. These are active dogs. They are not a type of dog for those who do not want to go out each day and play ball.Wether it is raining or sleeting or snowing they need to run. You need to spend about a hour each day working them. Their intelligence is what truly amazes me - people wont believe this but I can actually talk to him and he seems to know and understand. Jake will bring the ball and put it in my lap when he is ready to play. He also does not want to be left at home.The one thing that I truly love about Mcnabs is that they don't normally bark unless there is something unusual or of note. They are quiet dogs. My wife has a beautiful copper tri color Aussie and their characters are tremendously different. The Aussie we call Annie is very vocal and still does what she wants though we are working on that. Jake is very protective of me - he has stopped dogs twice his size from getting close to me.

A story of Jake is when I was taking him to Petsmart training when he was a puppy.There was a lady there that had a Brown Doberman Pinscher his name was Rhin, probably out weighed Jake by about 20-30 lbs and Jake was maybe 45 at the time. - anyhow this lady wanted to let our pups play in the enclosed training area. Next thing I hear is a dog that is kying loud enough for everyone in the store to hear. I look over and Jake is standing on top of this Rhin and Rhin is screaming. Everyone in the store came to find out what was happening. This lady and Rhin moved to Phoenix and I hope that they are doing well. I never want to see something I care for come to harm and in this case none did. That was the last time Jake and Rhin played together.

When Jakes turn is up and I hope that is a long ways off I will pretty much do anything I need to do get another Mcnab. Cost will not be a consideration. I am not a christian but if there is a heaven for good dogs I think he has earned his place.

Respectfully

James Ruby

Oh yes I only own a 1/3 of an acre but we go out to the lumber company land or the "Thousand acre dog park" east of the Sandy river at least once a week.

Thanks, James. This is exactly what I need to know. I'd love one of these dogs. But..I have an office job and and the dog would need to be able to be alone for long spells. While I can make some sorts of commitments, I don't think what I can commit to is enough to keep an Australian Shepherd or a border collie or a McNab happy and that'd just be a disservice to the dog.

Thanks for letting me know before I made a mistake.

It's one of the reasons I guess that I like lab mixes. They're usually just a little too stupid to figure out that they've been left alone for the better part of a day.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top