JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
When I noticed Blitzkrieg's new Rottweiler avatar I got to wondering which dogs we members used for security and companionship (or which dog we would favor if we currently had no dog), and briefly, why. My current buddy is a Bull Mastif and shes a great dog, but shes getting pretty old and next time it's a Doberman Pinscher my all time favorite. So how about it? Do you like great big dogs, medium dogs, or small dogs who's main armament is a yap that can annoy an intruder too death? And why?

The best all around dog is probably a German Shepard, I've never seen an activity they haven't excelled at. Currently I have a Siberian Husky, and those two are my favorite breeds. It really comes down to training, if you put in the time and effort most dogs can be trained to do just about anything.

My sister and her husband had a big, muscular and vicious Akita. He lived his life mostly outdoors on a chain. That was the meanest and scariest cat killing dog I have ever been around!!! He didn't like anyone except his owners and their kids. It took a long time before he just all of a sudden liked me. I am totally convinced that a trained Akita like that one would do the trick if a person wanted a real guard dog.

I have been around around plenty of large dog breeds but that Akita impressed me the most. They eventually had to put him down because he killed almost all the cats in the neighborhood. No joke. If they got near him he would attack and those poor little cats had no chance. Seen it happen...dang he was ruthless. Freaking Cugo.

OK...my :s0159:

Get a Chesapeake Bay retriever. They are amazing loyal, very protective of their pack, and amazing working dogs. A Chessie will brave raging/freezing waters to retrieve downed game, go home and curl up at you feet next to a fire, and then tear an intruders arm off. All in the same day. And do it with the charm of a Labrador and strength of a Shepard.

I am partial to Labs because I prefer their more subdued temperament, but a Chessie has been on my list for a long time.

I think one needs to consider their typical lifestyle when considering a breed of dog. For example, I wouldn't get an Akita. A friend has one and they are indeed very aggressive to anyone outside the immediate family. Great... but not great for me with my kids' friends around, the neighbors' kids, and we don't have an adequate fence around the property.

One might also consider the gender of the dog. A male dog may be more likely to go out after a problem, whereas a female dog may be more likely to alert/bark but stay close.

For me, I'd probably go with a lab after owning a few over the years. They are a larger dog, they are not afraid of adverse weather, they are great with kids, and they are generally predictable with non-family or strangers. I want them to alert the family to a problem but I don't need them to be an aggressive line of defense. That being said, our former yellow lab Lucy had great instincts. I saw her plant herself between strangers and our kids at the beach. I also remember the day when three (likely) meth heads pulled up, our dogs surrounded the car, and I knew Lucy didn't like them by her different tone of barking.

Peter

Get a Chesapeake Bay retriever. They are amazing loyal, very protective of their pack, and amazing working dogs. A Chessie will brave raging/freezing waters to retrieve downed game, go home and curl up at you feet next to a fire, and then tear an intruders arm off. All in the same day. And do it with the charm of a Labrador and strength of a Shepard.

I am partial to Labs because I prefer their more subdued temperament, but a Chessie has been on my list for a long time.

CBRs were bread to guard the fishermans boat at the dock after it helped pull the nets in.
You gave me a great idea for my next dog!:s0155:

Most all Asian breed dogs (the Akita included) aren't really very nice. Seems they liked their dogs aggressive over there.
Malamutes and Huskies are,can be great dogs but like people and can hunt the kitties too. Well Malamutes may hunt the neighbor dogs also.
But not sure they are the best guard dogs. Kinda flighty sometimes because they aren't too far off the wolf gene pool and are intelligent dogs.

Rottweilers and shepherds just need a firm hand and lots of training. With another dose of firm hand for the rotty. They will test your position in the pack forever. Easy part there is when you pet them you just drag them to the ground and pet them. Then they understand who's da boss.
But you get a good Rot and establish dominance and you have a dog that will watch everyone and everything around you.And will have no problem meeting the intruder half way

GSD can take a little more fineness since they can be sensitive some times.Well,rotties can be babies too

Really you have to decide your level of ability to train the dog. Not send it out but YOU train the dog.(most classes are for the owners first)
Big tough breeds take more heart and willingness to get down and dirty with a bad dog.
Start training early,don't let a puppy do what you don't want a big dog to do and only give it a command once,then make it do the command and you will be fine!

One might also consider the gender of the dog. A male dog may be more likely to go out after a problem, whereas a female dog may be more likely to alert/bark but stay close.

Hahaha, my girl met all comers half way. Wanted to make sure they knew who was boss.

We currently have a full blooded Border Collie. He is a nice dog that is great with the kids. He did have a bit of finding out where he stood syndrome, but now is fine. He is a good watch dog as in being alert and barking when he doesn't like someone or certain noises. Wouldn't take much to whip him though, as he is like only 40lbs maybe wet. He is a great retrieve dog to a fought. Hard to stop him unless you take his ball. Sheds a bunch, all over the house. With collies in the home be ready for constant dusting, brushing off the couch (he never sits there), sweeping the floors and unstopping the tub drain after dog baths. Sometimes hairs get in the food. I know..."Yuck!".

Best dog is the one you've got the time to train and manage. The meanest, toughest, strongest dog in the world who doesn't come when you call, who roams around the neighborhood, who attacks other people/pets - can quickly go from "asset" to "liability".

I currently have a 7yr. old male rottweiler and a 3yr. old male doberman, and had a female german shepherd when I was younger. All three of these breeds have their pros and cons, but my favorite dog that I've had is my rottweiler. You HAVE to be devoted to the training as a puppy, that makes a great dog. I love the confident personality of my rott, Axel, great family/home protector. He never ever crosses the property line even in the unfenced front yard. He's friendly to people/kids and other dogs, but he has NO tolerance towards threatening people or aggressive dogs. He'll put an aggressive acting dog in their place immediately, and has the size to back it up. Also, what I think is a plus, is of the three breeds, my rott absolutely loves the water, where the other two didn't. My doberman hates swimming.

I currently have a 7yr. old male rottweiler and a 3yr. old male doberman, and had a female german shepherd when I was younger. All three of these breeds have their pros and cons, but my favorite dog that I've had is my rottweiler. You HAVE to be devoted to the training as a puppy, that makes a great dog. I love the confident personality of my rott, Axel, great family/home protector. He never ever crosses the property line even in the unfenced front yard. He's friendly to people/kids and other dogs, but he has NO tolerance towards threatening people or aggressive dogs. He'll put an aggressive acting dog in their place immediately, and has the size to back it up. Also, what I think is a plus, is of the three breeds, my rott absolutely loves the water, where the other two didn't. My doberman hates swimming.

That's odd, all my Dobermans loved to swim. Having had both I have noticed the difference in styles between Dobermans and Rottweilers. My Dobermans would alert to movement, etc a block away, not challenging just aware. My Rottweilers would kick back and snooze. Kind of "yeah, if something shows up and is a problem I'll take care of it! Don't wake me except for food or play, especially food! If you want to scratch me, try not to disturb me too much."
Love both breeds! Love all breeds!

My Doberman also hated swimming - and he was part Lab with webbed feet. Also didn't like getting dirty - kind of a priss. But, he was a great dog and good judge of character. We're looking for another.

I've always had a soft spot for border collies, I grew up with them and think they make great campanions, and they're almost as intelligent at a 5 year old child, so with young kids they make great friends, they can learn to play soccer and do all that stuff,

unfortunately until I'm out of college and on my own I won't be able to get another collie.. :(

However this is my current friend
100_2405.jpg

She's rat terrier, and she's I've had her since I was 9 years old, memorial day of 2001 to be exact.

100_2405.jpg

That's odd, all my Dobermans loved to swim. Having had both I have noticed the difference in styles between Dobermans and Rottweilers. My Dobermans would alert to movement, etc a block away, not challenging just aware. My Rottweilers would kick back and snooze. Kind of "yeah, if something shows up and is a problem I'll take care of it! Don't wake me except for food or play, especially food! If you want to scratch me, try not to disturb me too much."

I agree, my doberman is more alert... but almost too alert as he barks at almost everything, annoying sometimes... Cat walking on the sidewalk, birds flying over the yard, another dog barking in the distance. When my rottweiler barks though, I get up and see whats going on, I trust his instincts alot more. He seems to (know) what and what not to bark at.
I also agree with you, rottweilers are more laid back, kind of more independant. Where as dobermans seem more needy for attention and more sensitive personalities.

Ours is a lab/pit mix. I actually really like the resulting temperment. Friendly and great with kids, but still protective when something is not right. The problem with mixes though is that you are rolling the dice on which qualities you will get from each parent.

We got a boxer a month ago, she is very smart and protective of our family.

We had a female boxer years ago. They are nice looking very clean dogs, but wow ALOT of energy. We couldn't ever tire her out. You definately have to be an active person to own a boxer that doesn't get bored and tear up everything in sight.

The best all around dog is probably a German Shepard, I've never seen an activity they haven't excelled at. Currently I have a Siberian Husky, and those two are my favorite breeds. It really comes down to training, if you put in the time and effort most dogs can be trained to do just about anything.

I'm not so sure most upland birdhunters would agree with you. It is an interesting premise, however.

I love the herding breeds they are smart enough to think for themselves. I have a five year old Mcnab that is one heck of a truck dog. I have had large / larger dogs up to 133 lbs and to me they are difficult from the perspective if I had to move them I cant do it by myself - 133Lbs of dead limp weight is alot to handle. A bigger dog would be worse in my opinion. To me a Ilke to keep them from 50 -80lbs in size.
Here is Jake- Jake is onoy 57 lbs. I think more of him than I do alot of people.

James Ruby

100_0224.jpg

The reason behind fear of swimming is the lack of buoyancy, Doberman, rotts, and my boxer only have there lungs to keep them afloat unlike labs and retrievers.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top