Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Best Dirt Bike/size for just having some fun..

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by glockguy, Aug 7, 2011.

1. glockguy

glockguy Albany Oregon Well-Known Member

So I currently have an 06 Honda TRX 450R Quad, and i decided Id like to get a dirt bike as well... im just not sure what to get... Im not racing or anything just getting it to roam the hill n what not... The best choice i can think of is a Honda CRF 250 im not planning on buying new, and used i find them as low as 2k for an 05 or so... any thoughts?

2. John Gault

John Gault clackamas county Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Not sure how big you are (tall or weight), I'm 5'9" and 160ish. I had (circa 1990) a Honda XR200 (4 cycle) that I learned how to ride on and then moved to a Kawasaki KDX 200 (2 cycle), which was a very forgiving 2 cycle with a wide power band. I tried to ride a Honda CR125 once and nearly bubblegum myself when I hit the powerband on that machine.

I had a blast on both of the above mentioned bikes. Mostly trail riding with friends. Always fun to stop in a mud pie puddle with your buddy behind you and then gun it ! :thumbup:

Tobin&Craig.jpg

3. Redcap

Redcap Lewis County, WA Well-Known Member

All depends on what you are comfortable with. I run an old, mostly stock KTM 495 and have been kicking around the idea of rebuilding the 540 motor I have in the barn..

4. Trlsmn

Trlsmn In Utero (Portland) Well-Known Member

I still have me 1982 Yamaha IT 465 2 stroke in the garage. All my friends were scared to ride it. There is just something about riding a 2 stroke on the pipe that a 4 stroke will never give you.

5. Father of four

Father of four Portland, Oregon Well-Known Member

I am 6ft and 230lbs. A 250 ( yz, kx, cr,etc...)would do just fine for me. A smaller guy with less experience, a 125.

My opinion.

6. Father of four

A Word of Advice.

Be careful and don't be fooled. A dirt bike can mess you up and put you in intensive care if you are not careful!!!!

7. Father of four

I'd take it for a spin. A jump or 2. YEEEHAAAWWW!!!!

Oops sorry...calm down. :D

8. Redcap

Absolutely true!

9. EZLivin

EZLivin SW of PDX Well-Known Member

One of my dumbest moves ever was not keeping at least one of my old 2-stroke race bikes. Stupid, just stupid.

10. Redcap

There is nothing like a 2-stroke when it gets up on the pipe!

11. billcoe

billcoe PDX Platinum Supporter Platinum Supporter

I understand some engineer rider types in Portland have hacked together some electric motocross bikes that outperform any gas engine made on a motocross track. Should make for some great indoor racing once they work out the bugs. Could you imagine some of the wildlife you could sneak up on in the woods?

12. WhyteCheddar

WhyteCheddar East of Moscow by the Willamette Well-Known Member

I am partial to versions with lights and plates so I can legally scoot down or across a road if need be.

13. buick455

buick455 se portland Member

having ridden in the NW most of my life and most of my time spent trying to ride trails on a 2 stroke race bike my advice would be

A newer enduro style water cooled 4 stroke WR250f or a CRF250X because the flywheel weights and tuning make them easy to ride and they have lights

OR

an air cooled 4 stroke like the XR 250/400 TTR 250 or DRZ 250/400 ease of maintenece and they can even come with electric start

UNLESS you are riding only in the sand then get the biggest effin 2 stroke that you can throw your leg over

14. jkent26

jkent26 Rainier, OR Member

I agree with the CRF230 or even better if you can find a XR400. That bike is geared for trail riding and will go where ever you point and punch it!