JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Billcoe also mentioned that running a plug into the safe will negate a moisture free setup, but I'm thinking I can just fill in the hole and call it good. I definitely would like to hear more ideas. Maybe safe lighting suggestions? Thanks.

Moisture-free means 0% relative humidity. That is not only next to impossible in the NW, but not desirable! Keeping the Rh at 50-55% is museum grade, and right where you want it to prevent rust, and to prevent your wood stocks from drying out and cracking.

As for lighting, Costco sells an inexpensive, battery-powered LED light bar that is motion-activated that's perfect for the safe. I just velcro'ed it under the top shelf, and each time I open the door, instant light.

a small light bulb will keep the inside of the safe warm and moisture free, just a few watts will do the trick, to absorb moisture, a coffee can full of rice with a piece of screen held on with a rubber band will work fine. To "recharge" the rice warm it up in the oven, works the same as the silica gel and much safer.

I use one of the little Remington rechargeable ones in combination surplus silica gel packets. I still have to recharge the Remington about every two or three weeks which is more often than I'd like. I work for a software company so our help desk guys get a lot of the packets in the hardware they configure and they hold on to 'em for me. I don't recharge them as often as i should but i put them in the oven at 175 for a couple of hours on a cookie tin, usually after one of our weekend pancake/french toast fests when the oven is already set on low for keeping things warm.

I want to get a longer lasting rechargeable and will be looking. For the duration, I have reasons why I don't want permanent electricity leading to the safe.

In the safes in the unheated garage I use Goldenrods and the Remington rechargeable dessicant packs in each. In the house the dessicant packs by themselves seem to keep things ok.

You can buy silica gel in bulk at petco in the form of premium kitty litter. Its something like $17 for 20lbs. I take this kitty litter and pour it in to a dress sock and place one on the top shelf and one on the floor and i have had no issues. About every 6months your can recharge it in the oven or refill with new. You can also staple it in coffee filters for storing with small parts or ammo.

My set up has 2 large desiccant bags with a little blue penguin that turns pink when it reaches saturation. My safe is also near my bathroom and even if I didn't open it often, I'd still be recharging every other week or so. Until I got a Golden rod knock off. Haven't recharged in at least 3 months. So maybe all it does is raise temperature, but it sure seems to have an effect on overall safe humidity.

I'll recommend a Golden Rod and an Eva Dry to anyone who asks
During winter, I'll recharge the Eva Dry maybe twice.
The combo works great for my needs.
I'm in my safe many times throughout a day.

I use the Golden Rods in my safes along with the Eva dry units. The golden rods come in different lengths for most safes. There are many copies of the Golden Rods at lower price points, but mine have been going strong for 20+ years. I also try to keep the room humidity sensible. Hope this helps.

This is what I installed in my safes:

Wire up an outlet inside and you're in business.

Would be nicer if I'd run a drain line out but I got lazy. Perhaps later. Perhaps not.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top