JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Good afternoon Gentleman,

I recently took delivery on my gun safe and was curious about the best dehumidifier option for it. It is approximately 19 cubic feet and I am able to run power to it. It is in the closet which is adjacent to my bathroom, so I'm worried about steam from the shower getting to the inside over time (this might not be an issue at all, but it was one thing I had thought of). I'm not trying to skimp out on protection for it, but I don't want to spend more than is necessary ($20-$30?). From what I can see, I have three main options:
1) A plug-in dehumidifier rod, which seems to be the same principal as the larger round thing that heats up that I put in my boat
during the winter
2) The renewable dehumidifier that has the Silica Gel inside of it, and when it maxes out, you plug it into the wall overnight and let it
dry out.
3) Get the little packets of that stuff we are not supposed to eat that come in beef jerky and other random things I get mailed to me
by my company that come straight from China (Silica Gel?) and place them all around the safe

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

The plug-in rods just heat up the inside of the safe to prevent the gun metal from reaching dew point. I believe they do work, though I imagine it's a function of how often the door is opened.

I had never thought about reusing those silica gel packs...I know you were probably joking, but I'm wondering about perhaps taking a coffee can and dumping all the gel packs I get into it (unopened) and keeping it in the safe :)

I know you were probably joking

Well, kind of joking. The safe came with some pretty large packets of those, and I have read that's what guys do is keep those packs in there, but I wasn't sure if anyone has input on if those acutally are effective enough to protect the contents of the safe.

I used a goldenrod in my safe when I lived in Snohomish. The safe was in the basement and the area was very damp. It seemed to work but I wasn't going to bet my guns on it so I bought one of these:

Stack-On Wireless Rechargeable Silica Gel Desiccant Dehumidifier

The size was total overkill for my 32 gun safe but I liked the design because it has a fold out plug on the back that can be plugged right into an outlet to recharge. It lasted about 6 months before requiring recharging (11 hours plugged into the wall).

I now have one in my wife's car in storage. It lasts ~3 months before needing a kick.

I use three of the plug in rechargeable small dehumidifiers along with the silica gel packets that one finds in their furniture boxes, tv boxesor online. I have two safes in very damp locations andit keeps both bone dry. My other safe and firearms in the upstairs closet also need oil or a dehumidifier in their safe, closets get pretty damp unless there is air flow, I had a ton of surface rust on a shipment of mags and a few rifles I had left in there without oiling and it got pretty bad.

Those rods and fans are a great idea if your safe is in your basement or you live near a wetlands or possibly if you're in a humid climate. I'll probably instal one in my "tier one platforms" safe.

That looks like two votes so far for the Wireless renewable dehumidifiers like the Stack-On that ThePhonMan suggested. Since my safe is inside in a climate controled area, it seems as though I could get away with the that kind. But since it is close to the shower, I'm worried about steam getting in there, so would the Stack-On control it well enough? One concern I had about the plug-in rod is if it would raise the temperature inside of the safe too high, but it seems like the most effective option for high humidity areas. Thanks for the input so far guys.

I have one safe with the plug-in rod and another with the rechargeable dehumidifier and they both work equally well. The plug-in rod does not heat up enough that there should ever be a concern about interior temp. getting to warm----have been using it for 20 years.

I use the H2O Out dehumidifiers. After the blue crystals turn pink, pop it in the oven for 2 hours and its good to go again. Also when ever I get those large desiccant gel packs I throw them in my safe for awhile before throwing them away. Been working well for me, don't have to worry about plugging it in. The other options mentioned are also good choices. I bought the H2O Out at Costco for a really good price compared to the internet. Check out the safe show next time its at your local Costco.

I have a much larger safe, and I use the combo of an Eva-dry dehumidifier on the top, and a Goldenrod on the bottom. Keeps the relative humidity inside my safe at a very stable 55% which is right where it should be.

I have one safe with the plug-in rod and another with the rechargeable dehumidifier and they both work equally well. The plug-in rod does not heat up enough that there should ever be a concern about interior temp. getting to warm----have been using it for 20 years.

I keep leaning toward the plug-in rod for some reason, but the feedback points to both of them being good options. How big of a safe is the one with the plug-in rod that you have. Thanks for the input so far.

Good afternoon Gentleman,

I recently took delivery on my gun safe and was curious about the best dehumidifier option for it. It is approximately 19 cubic feet and I am able to run power to it. It is in the closet which is adjacent to my bathroom, so I'm worried about steam from the shower getting to the inside over time (this might not be an issue at all, but it was one thing I had thought of). I'm not trying to skimp out on protection for it, but I don't want to spend more than is necessary ($20-$30?). From what I can see, I have three main options:
1) A plug-in dehumidifier rod, which seems to be the same principal as the larger round thing that heats up that I put in my boat
during the winter
2) The renewable dehumidifier that has the Silica Gel inside of it, and when it maxes out, you plug it into the wall overnight and let it
dry out.
3) Get the little packets of that stuff we are not supposed to eat that come in beef jerky and other random things I get mailed to me
by my company that come straight from China (Silica Gel?) and place them all around the safe

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

A forty watt light bulb is the best I have ever used...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

I keep leaning toward the plug-in rod for some reason, but the feedback points to both of them being good options. How big of a safe is the one with the plug-in rod that you have. Thanks for the input so far.

Here's the thing Ben. You and you alone have to make the call on how you want this to play out. I had left a BB gun in the basement for @ 2 months and it got rusted fairly bad. My son pointed it out to me, and I think that's a factor of better eyesight. However, I could feel it with my fingers. I found it pretty disturbing. If you have a Sig P210, or 2, in your gun safe, then you might consider spending a bit more effort to keep them looking prime. In the Pacific NorthWET, that's a multilayered thing.
'
1st) Use Eezox and don't be just "oiling" your guns when you get back from the range. You might slather the bores with Hopps #9 or any other thing, but as you are putting them in the safe, think of this photo below and choose to spend a bit more time and effort to wipe or spray a light layer of Eezox on them. If you do nothing else, use this stuff as this should help a lot.

DSCN1765.jpg

Rust_Test_LongTerm_640.jpg

You can google this, lots of guys have done independent testing. Good stuff and cheap.

2nd) Get a room dehumidifer. A good one will both tell you what the moisture % actually measures, and pull the moisture out to what ever the heck you want it to be. I was shocked how much moisture I actualy had in here. Of course, the house is over a 100 years old. So in retrospect....lol...My little Delongi will pull a gallon out per day. They make 2 versions of these, one you have to dump it daily, the other can be set up to drain into a drain. Get that one, even if you don't use it at first. You don't want to be checking and dumping water daily. <broken link removed> They come in a lot of price points. Do your research.

NEXT) Stuff a goldenrod in your safe. $20 and it works as advertised. As said above, it keeps the moisture from hitting dew point. You need a plug in for that, which means that your safe isn't moisture proof any more. goldenrodsafex350.jpg

Lastly) , get 2 E-500 Eva-Drys. They will pull the moisture out of the safe. They recharge and work great. Don't get the little jobs cause you need to recharge them too frequently. I just went to replace one that finally failed after 5 years (which is the life expectancy of the things) and Dicks and Fishermans had not even heard of them. So here's a link. Amazon.com: Eva-dry E-500 High Capacity Renewable Wireless Mini Dehumidifier - 4 Pack - Fight dampness in boats, safes, RVs and BIG close: Home & Kitchen

41xpwafqDPL._SX450_.jpg

Just toss them inside the safe, I have 2 and rotate the bottom one to the plug in. Moisture is heavy and will settle. The Evas get hot, so keep them off drapes etc etc. They suggest plugging them in overnight....a bit of trust is needed for that:) However, the color changes when they are recharged. Pretty simple. It sounds like a lot, but once you have it set up, never have to worry.

Good luck! Hope that helps.

I have the dry-x stuff, but finally broke down and bought a dehumidifier at Home Depot. Set it at 50% and haven't had any problems in the shop where I have two gun safes, a Harley and a bunch of ammo. A lot less hassle, but I have sure been surprised at the moisture it collects and yes the shop is insulated and sealed, just lots of "wet" in the area.

Do you have condensation on your closet door ? on your safe ? anywhere in the room which holds the closet, where your safe is located ? If not why are you worried about condensation in the safe ? As point out above, a golden rod will keep the inside of the safe a couple of degrees above the dew point. What is the dry bulb/wet bulb temperatures in the room ? In the closet ? Does steam really fill the shower, the bathroom, the room with the closet, the closet, the safe when you take a shower ?

I have a golden rod in my Stack-On in the garage, but nothing for the gun cabinets in the bedroom in the house and the bedroom is next to the bathroom with the shower. On the other hand it strikes me that both options noted above are not very expensive. It seems to me if you can afford the firearms, you can afford the few bucks to play it safe if you are concerned.

Very helpful gentlemen. I appreciate the responses and I think I'm going golden rod plus Eva-dry. Billcoe broke it down pretty well and when I comes to my babies, I should spare no expense (the setup is less than $40). Plus the location invites moisture just with the proximity to the bathroom. Billcoe also mentioned that running a plug into the safe will negate a moisture free setup, but I'm thinking I can just fill in the hole and call it good. I definitely would like to hear more ideas. Maybe safe lighting suggestions? Thanks.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top