JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Looking for recent experiences of Washington residents obtaining their Oregon CHL and the best - least hassle in terms of time/effort - county to apply in. Would prefer to be within a 2 hr drive of Vancouver.

Currently have my WA license and want to get my OR license....I reside in the 'Couve.

Also interested in what the "justification" letter was that you used that was not business related as I am retired.

Many thanks in advance!

I got my original OR permit thru a class with MK Tactical in Hillsboro and at that time the OR permit was thru the Grant Co Sherriffs Office (the John Day area) ... I recently renewed my OR permit thru Columbia Co. because logistically they were the handiest for me.

The process was pretty painless... the staff was polite and efficient, you could tell it wasn't their first rodeo!!!
They take appointments for Mon-Thur slots but are normally filled out a ways but usually have a first come-first served type of affair on the last Sat. of the month from 10:00-14:00... that's what I did and I was there about an hour.

One big difference between WA and Oregon's permit system that I didn't realize until renewal time is that OR's permits are tied to the issuing CO and must be renewed in that Co. or transferred to another CO but it cost an additional $30 for the transfer! I would give some thought to logistical issues before deciding which CO to get my original permit from, it could save you a few $$ come renewal time.

This link to the Columbia Co Sheriff's Office has almost everything you need to know about getting a permit there:

http://www.co.columbia.or.us/sheriff/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=27&Itemid=53

Sorry, I don't recall my exact statement but this section from the Grant County CHL application should give you an idea... the bold emphasis is mine!

"OUT OF STATE APPLICANTS ONLY – MUST COMPLETE
Oregon Revised Statute 166.291 (8) the county sheriff may waive the residency requirement in subsection (1)(c) for a resident of a contiguous state who has a compelling business interest or other legitimate demonstrated need.

If you are a non-resident applicant, please list your "Legitimate Demonstrated Need" for our records here. Examples may be for self defense, constitutional right, travel, isolated rural roads, travel late at night, elderly."

Wife and I both got our Oregon permits through the Multnomah Co Sheriffs dept. they were real nice to deal with. The Sheriff is pro 2nd Amendment. For justification we both put "All legal purposes".

Marion county was pretty easy. took 45 BUSINESS days after i filled out my paperwork an met at the sheriffs office. i heard from my boss that Polk county is even easier. and quicker.

Looking for recent experiences of Washington residents obtaining their Oregon CHL and the best - least hassle in terms of time/effort - county to apply in. Would prefer to be within a 2 hr drive of Vancouver.

Currently have my WA license and want to get my OR license....I reside in the 'Couve.

Also interested in what the "justification" letter was that you used that was not business related as I am retired.

Many thanks in advance!
Columbia County. Great staff and very responsive. Make sure you make an appointment. Information is on their website.

Nothing wrong with Clackamas county. I've had one from there since they started issuing.
Used to be in Oregon City but now it's at the Sherriff's office on 82nd and just south of Sunnyside rd.. take the Sunnyside exit off of 205 and go west to 82nd.

Nothing wrong with Clackamas county. I've had one from there since they started issuing.
Used to be in Oregon City but now it's at the Sherriff's office on 82nd and just south of Sunnyside rd.. take the Sunnyside exit off of 205 and go west to 82nd.

It may have changed recently but this is what's currently posted in the Q-n-A section of their website:

"Q. If I'm a resident of another state, but regularly travel through Oregon, will Clackamas County issue me a Concealed Handgun License?
A.
No. It is the policy of the Clackamas County Sheriff not to issue concealed handgun licenses to anyone who is not a resident of Clackamas County. Other Oregon counties may have different policies, especially those which border other states. Check with them."

In OR I believe the local Sheriff gets to set the policy on issuing out of state permits, and those permits will only be issued to the citizens of Oregon's contiguous/border states (WA, ID, NV & CA).

It may have changed recently but this is what's currently posted in the Q-n-A section of their website:

"Q. If I'm a resident of another state, but regularly travel through Oregon, will Clackamas County issue me a Concealed Handgun License?
A.
No. It is the policy of the Clackamas County Sheriff not to issue concealed handgun licenses to anyone who is not a resident of Clackamas County. Other Oregon counties may have different policies, especially those which border other states. Check with them."

In OR I believe the local Sheriff gets to set the policy on issuing out of state permits, and those permits will only be issued to the citizens of Oregon's contiguous/border states (WA, ID, NV & CA).

Well heck, thanks for posting that. Had no idea.

Anyone have any experience (non-resident) with Yamhill county?

This is from their website:

Q. If I am a resident of another state and travel through Oregon regularly, will Yamhill County issue me a CHL? A. It depends on what state you live in and the nature of your travel through Oregon. Under ORS 166.291(8), the county sheriff may waive the residency requirement in subsection (1)(c) of this section for a resident of a contiguous state who has a compelling business interest or other legitimate demonstrated need. If you reside in a contiguous state and can articulate a "compelling business interest or other legitimate demonstrated need," you may do so in writing a letter to the sheriff requesting a waiver of the residency requirements based on that reason. Once that letter is received and reviewed, you will be notified of the Sheriff's decision.

I live in Yamhill County, and the Sheriff's department is very pro 2A.

I'm sure Linn would. I bet you remember the stink Sheriff Riley made a few years back. The tradition has continued to the current sheriff.

Not to mention my transfer took less than a week to get to me. No appointments, walk in and done. Here is your paper copy expect the new in the mail.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top