JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I travel through OR enroute to WA and plan to do some recreational stuff in OR this summer. I should have my NV and FL concealed permits soon. I have found out from my fellow calgunners that Sheriff Palmer in Grant County and the Sheriff in Julienne County are both CA friendly. Both are about an hour off my usual route through OR so I was wondering if anyone here knows which if any Sheriffs along US-97 are permit friendly? I was wondering about Bend and Klamath Falls or perhaps one of the smaller counties. Any and all help appreciated.

Thanks!

Been in Oregon 54+ years Born here never heard of Julienne County. Only one I know that starts with a J is Josphine County.

Right next to Josephine is Jackson county, and just above the middle of the state is Jefferson county.
Guessing the OP meant Jackson. It's right down there next to California.

Might try Klamath county. They want you to send a letter or email a reason. If they accept it, they'll have you actually apply. <broken link removed>

There's also Jefferson County on Highway 97. Both it and Deschutes County look to be resident only from their websites.

Might try Klamath county. They want you to send a letter or email a reason. If they accept it, they'll have you actually apply. <broken link removed>

There's also Jefferson County on Highway 97. Both it and Deschutes County look to be resident only from their websites.

I hadn't thought to check individual CO sheriff sights, I will work on that. For what it is worth Grants Pass and Grant County is only about an hour to my route to WA, and to avoid hassle I will add that that time with pleasure.

I hadn't thought to check individual CO sheriff sights, I will work on that. For what it is worth Grants Pass and Grant County is only about an hour to my route to WA, and to avoid hassle I will add that that time with pleasure.

Most have a section for concealed handgun licensing and will either have their app or state their policies.

Some will set up a designated appointment to take fingerprints and pictures so you can't just drop in and apply either.

Most have a section for concealed handgun licensing and will either have their app or state their policies.

Some will set up a designated appointment to take fingerprints and pictures so you can't just drop in and apply either.

I am learning a lot about OR CHL. Nowhere as restrictive as CA, but more restrictive than some. Even the gun friendly counties in CA don't share much info. I am thinking I will just cruise through Grant County on a Wednesday between 8-3.

Sheriff websites probably wouldn't be much helpful since this goes really into the political arena. I would simply e-mail to / call the Sheriffs in "convenient" counties stating the circumstances (obviously lack of any business or other connection to Oregon) and seeing if one would have sufficient "qualifications" to get a permit issued. If no Sheriff comes forward, then just revert to the known friendlies :)

A buddy of mine and I made the 6 hour drive each way to Grant county last march to get our Oregon permits. It was worth the drive and the permit arrived in a little under 2 weeks. If it isn't to much of a burden Grant County would be my recommendation.

Hi Irish Gunner good to see you over here from Calguns! It would be nice to get a list of "out of state" friendly counties. We all know Grant is awesome but limited to Wednesday, Josephine (where I obtained mine) is also very out of state friendly. Jackson is not friendly and questioned how I managed to obtain an out of state permit when I went to change my address. They were very firm on saying "we don't issue out of state".

Maybe we could get a sticky going as there are a lot of travelers that travel through the state. Would also be nice to see a Washington list!

Hi Irish Gunner good to see you over here from Calguns! It would be nice to get a list of "out of state" friendly counties. We all know Grant is awesome but limited to Wednesday, Josephine (where I obtained mine) is also very out of state friendly. Jackson is not friendly and questioned how I managed to obtain an out of state permit when I went to change my address. They were very firm on saying "we don't issue out of state".

Maybe we could get a sticky going as there are a lot of travelers that travel through the state. Would also be nice to see a Washington list!

IMHO: You can't beat Grant Co. OR or Okanogan Co, WA, though WA is Shall Issue, same requirements for in state or out of state. Only difference is the address on the license and out-of-state can pick and choose their sheriff. If you are coming up US 97, Okanogan is on US 97, sheriff's office is maybe 1/2 mile off the hwy.

Oh, may I add. If you are coming up US 97 through OR, you do not really need a permit...Loaded Open Carry is 100% legal in OR and there are no "funny" cities (like Portland) on 97.

IMHO: You can't beat Grant Co. OR or Okanogan Co, WA, though WA is Shall Issue, same requirements for in state or out of state. Only difference is the address on the license and out-of-state can pick and choose their sheriff. If you are coming up US 97, Okanogan is on US 97, sheriff's office is maybe 1/2 mile off the hwy.

Oh, may I add. If you are coming up US 97 through OR, you do not really need a permit...Loaded Open Carry is 100% legal in OR and there are no "funny" cities (like Portland) on 97.

I was going to just head to Grant County my next trip after I get my NV and FL permits. It is about an hour off the beaten path and would make for a scenic drive. As far as LOC, what does that mean for in the car. In NM, where I was prior to CA, I just tossed my loaded 9 in the center console. The one time I was stopped the officer just asked me to put it on the dash. You do need to declare it there. That would land me in jail here and cost me my gun rights. I definitely need to research the OR laws before my next visit.

I am so having fun trying to figure this out. Probably will have enough research to write a book when I am done.

I was going to just head to Grant County my next trip after I get my NV and FL permits. It is about an hour off the beaten path and would make for a scenic drive. As far as LOC, what does that mean for in the car. In NM, where I was prior to CA, I just tossed my loaded 9 in the center console. The one time I was stopped the officer just asked me to put it on the dash. You do need to declare it there. That would land me in jail here and cost me my gun rights. I definitely need to research the OR laws before my next visit.

I am so having fun trying to figure this out. Probably will have enough research to write a book when I am done.

Open carry in a belt holster in the car is ok per ORS 166.250. To violate the law, it needs to be concealed and readily accessible. Your center console would work if its locked. http://www.oregonlaws.org/ors/166.250

In OR, with the exception of some cities which you do not have to concern yourself with, you can Open Carry, fully locked and loaded, without any license, only you cannot conceal...any conceal (except hunting and fishing?) takes an OR CHL. With the funky cities (like Portland), you can still OC without a permit, just not loaded...that is in a vehicle, or out of a vehicle, just not into government buildings without a CHL. If you don't conceal, you are fine without a CHL. OWB holster, don't cover with a jacket...works fine. Oh yes, and all OR guin law is under ORS 166. ORS 166.173 is what local government can do.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top