JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I gotta get me one of these Concealed Wives some day! :s0140:
Mental image. @Ura-Ki is sauntering down sidewalk late at night. Is jumped by three bad guys. Quickly deploys Concealed Wife. Leans casually against building while Wife fills bad guys full of .45acp. Wife changes magazines. "Bodies? Do you see any bodies?" she says, climbing back into concealment. "Nope. Not a one," Ura-Ki says, and saunters on.

Last Edited:
Where is this school that teaches women how they are supposed try to please, appease and defer to men? Because it seems like the majority of women I've ever met 35 years old and younger didn't know about it either.
The "deference school" has certainly got much weaker the last few decades. And even in my youth, the indoctrination was not necessarily permanent. Many women seemed to throw off the deferring inferior mentality when they hit their 40s. Wanted jobs, respect, accomplishments of their own beyond home and family.

The "deference school" has certainly got much weaker the last few decades. And even in my youth, the indoctrination was not necessarily permanent. Many women seemed to throw off the deferring inferior mentality when they hit their 40s. Wanted jobs, respect, accomplishments of their own beyond home and family.
Ah ok, seems like there has been a counter revolution regarding that as well because some career women are finding (for a while now) that the sacrifice of time is inevitable and to have a career it primarily comes at the sacrifice of time with the family or the raising of children.

The myth that, "you'll be happier if you have a career" really depends on each individual and what they desire out of life. "Pick your sacrifice" is a quote that I find very accurate in this context.

Ah ok, seems like there has been a counter revolution regarding that as well because some career women are finding (for a while now) that the sacrifice of time is inevitable and to have a career it primarily comes at the sacrifice of time with the family or the raising of children.

The myth that, "you'll be happier if you have a career" really depends on each individual and what they desire out of life. "Pick your sacrifice" is a quote that I find very accurate in this context.
This is why I live by a volcano.

I agree with you that serious careers outside the home are not for every woman. On the one hand, many high IQ women who are highly creative are likely to find twenty years of doing nothing but home making and raising children an incomplete and frustrating life. Back in the fifties a whole lot of these women, with no good jobs available to women, resorted to alcohol and opioids. And "mental breakdowns", that is, women just going crazy, and chronic depression were common. On the other hand, half the female population has lower than average IQs, and half have less than average creativity. They often have to work whether they want to or not. But its jobs, not careers they are likely to have. Crappy jobs that paid poorly, paid no benefits, in which they received poor treatment and no respect. And being a full time stay at home mother and home maker may be a lot more desirable option than a crappy job. In addition, some women find child raising and/or homemaking more satisfying than others, whatever their IQs or level of creativity. Or find creative outlets within the traditional sphere, such as in cooking, gardening, sewing, embroidery, quilt making, etc. Or these days find ways to earn money part time from home with activities such as writing, youtube, gardening and selling produce.

Actually, most American women have been working outside the home all along. The wealthy women ran most of the charities as volunteers. (While poor women did most of their cooking, housework, and child care.) The poor women were maids and nannies and servants for the rich, plus waitresses, textile workers, shop assistants, etc. Only in the middle class, where husbands usually made enough from one income to support the family, was the idea of women working outside the home an issue. Poor women had no choice. And rich women usually preferred to have servants and spend only part time being mothers. Only middle class American women were encouraged to feel ashamed and guilty for neglecting their children if they wanted a career. Meanwhile, in Britain affluent families shipped their kids off to boarding schools and nobody felt guilty, apparently. The feminist revolution was largely about middle class women of higher than average IQs wanting good jobs, careers, respect. And in that it is succeeding. The feminist revolution has done little for the other 75% of women.

Unfortunately, even for middle class women, serious careers can be difficult to combine with child rearing. Serious careers are usually full time or more than full time jobs. A hundred years ago, families were usually extended families, making childcare easier. And labor was cheap. Middle class families usually had one or more servants. Even farmers often had full time live-in help, often working for little more than "found", that is, room and board. Child care is usually so costly that for the middle class women, raising children and having a career is workable only if the job is seriously high paying. So the sacrifices you mention come into play. Often the solution is for women who want serious careers to have no children or just one.

The idea that women should have no economic role outside the family is very recent. In hunter-gatherer societies, both genders worked outside the home. More hunting was done by males, more gathering by women. But there were no invariable roles except males always were the hunters of large ocean mammals. In modern hunter-gatherer societies often most calories are obtained by women. Often the reliable food that the family depends on is obtained by women. The less reliable but higher quality meat is obtained by men.

In many or most North American Native American societies, women did all the gathering and nearly all the agriculture too. Among the Mandan and Hidatsa tribes, for example, women grew all the corn, beans, squash and sunflowers. Men helped clear land for new gardens as well as helped transport the mature corn crop home. That was all. Men grew only tobacco, which only men smoked. Nearly all cooking was done by women. And all clothes making.. Men made their own tools and weapons. Men were also responsible for community defense. That is, they were the warriors.

In traditional colonial farms in America, women had serious economic roles beyond house keeping and child rearing. Men usually tended the fields. Women usually tended the garden. Men usually handled beef cattle. Women usually milked the cow, but not always. Women usually tended all the poultry, including the laying flock. Women made the clothes. Men did the hunting.

How did women manage to do all this work? For starters, tribal living and extended families made child care easier. Nursing babies could be carried along. Women usually gathered or farmed in groups. Older women could watch kids and babies as younger women did the harder labor. Villages were safe and older children could play by themselves. Today families are spread out and many/most people don't have relatives close by. Most city and suburban dwellers dont feel secure enough to turn their kids loose to play by themselves. Jobs usually are ones in which bringing a child or baby to work would be disruptive. When I was a kid, my mother took care of me only up untiI I was about five. After that I played with other kids, and wasn't home till dinner. Isolating women into single family nuclear families in unsafe neighborhoods makes child raising much less efficient and more demanding than it was in yesteryear. Its a problem we have yet to solve.

Dont forget, that for most women who worked outside the home, job choices were limited, and usually low to medium skill! Nursing, teaching, secretary, office assistant, clerical, food servises, phone operator, librarian, sewing, and mild manufacturing! I'm sure there are more, but the point is, there were very few jobs that paid well or had promotions to management or higher, and working conditions would be less then ideal!

Mom was a school teacher during the late 60's through the early 2000's and the entire time, very little changed! The principal and V.P. were always men, senior district personal were almost always male, and outside a few secretaries, most other positions were male!
Teachers were expected to follow district standards in most things, but the principal set a strict dress code ( makes sense) that was very sexist toward the female staff! The hours were ok, as long as you had children of school age, other wise, you needed day care or a baby sitter! The pay sucked, it was never equal to the male teachers, or other professions, and the challenges of dealing with snot nosed brats was draining! I was there the day Mom cracked, will never forget it! She never put much effort into teaching after that day, coasting through the last year or two and then retiring after 30 years of it!

Looking for a concealed carry for my wife. Wondering what the favorite is out there for ease of use, accuracy, etc. what's the general concensus for a woman who has typically only shot .22 in the past and more protection/security minded vs blowing a big hole in a bad guy.
My wife who is in her 70's would prefer to shoot a semi auto. But only if she can get someone else to load the mags, chamber a round, take the safety off, and then after shooting, lock the slide back and make it safe for her.
If she has to do it for herself she wants her revolver!
Of the daughter inlaws, and grand daughters, only one prefers a revolver! And they are perfectly happy loading their own mags.
But only your wife will know what works best for her! Good Luck, DR

Stay away from the mouse and small framed guns, even for the most seasoned shooter they are harder to shoot and manipulate.

Something along the lines of a Glock 43 43x, or S&W M&P 2.0 Compact 3.5 or 4 inch.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads