JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey guys,

So i need some advice. Right now i have an XD40, it was my first handgun and bought it having never fired it. I can shoot it just fine but it kicks more than im comfortable with and its a little big for my hands. im looking for something smaller that i can carry and with less kick, maybe a 9mm or revolver? I want something i have complete confidence in my ability to use it effectively if i had to, i cant say that with my XD. but wierd thing is, my dad's got an XD45 and a 1911 and i like those more than my XD40 but the grips on both are still way too big.

I dont like the ruger lcp 380 at all, the grip is too tiny and recoil beats up my hand. I can definitley say that im not a glock fan, the boxy plastic grips just dont fit me.

I have fired a ruger sr22 pistol - loved the molded rubber grip, fit me perfectly but im pretty sure all that would do is piss someone off. Ive also shot a barretta 92A1 9mm - super easy for me to handle and fun to shoot, but too big to conceal carry.

Got any ideas?

Lisa

Take a look at some of the Kahr pistols. I have a cw9, it has a nice full grip and doesnt kick like the lcp and the lc9 and some of the other ccw out there.

Hey guys,

So i need some advice. Right now i have an XD40, it was my first handgun and bought it having never fired it. I can shoot it just fine but it kicks more than im comfortable with and its a little big for my hands. im looking for something smaller that i can carry and with less kick, maybe a 9mm or revolver? I want something i have complete confidence in my ability to use it effectively if i had to, i cant say that with my XD. but wierd thing is, my dad's got an XD45 and a 1911 and i like those more than my XD40 but the grips on both are still way too big.

You probably like his XD more because while the .45 is larger the .40 packs a lot of power into a smaller cartridge thus giving it a lot of "pop".

J Frame revolvers are quite popular for carry but even a 38 Special out of one of those can kick good. Sig Sauer makes a semi-auto .380 called the P238, it comes in many varieties for looks, weighs more than a Ruger LCP thus less recoil, and fits the hand better as there's more to hold onto (especially w/the mag ext).

P238

I carry this one occasionally and it's quite comfortable.

vb3gh.jpg

Anything 9mm, since i have taught kids as young a 7 years old to handle them easily and the ammunition is cheaper than a .380 to practice with.

Check out compact models from the following manufacturers, that will give you a great start.
Sig Sauer P 250, SIG P938, H&K P 2000, Glock 19 Gen 4, Beretta PX 4,Beretta Nano,S&W M&P9 Shield, Springfield XD.

Go to the shops or shows and see what fits your hand well and has a natural point of aim. Any major manufacturers firearms, should suit your purpose.

If in doubt, you can always go to ranges that rent firearms and try them, before you buy.

Look at Ruger SR9c. The grip feels a lot smaller than comparable guns, but it is still a double stack with good capacity. 10 rounds in the flush mag and 17 in the extended mag, the gun comes with one of each. The bore axis is really low, and with being 9mm, the recoil is very light. When my wife shot it for the first time, she was scared because the gun was a lot larger than her LCP, and she thought it would have a lot more kick. After the first shot, she looked at me and smiled. She loved it because of the low recoil.

I have the XD-S in .45 and love it. It's small, 5+1 rounds, and you can get an extended mag if you want 7+1.

Springfield has just announced that the XD-S will ship in Spring, 2013 in a 9mm caliber, and I think it will be a 7+1 config with the default mag. I recommend you look at it since initial reviews from the SHOT show in Vegas are good.

Peter

J Frame revolvers are quite popular for carry but even a 38 Special out of one of those can kick good. Sig Sauer makes a semi-auto .380 called the P238, it comes in many varieties for looks, weighs more than a Ruger LCP thus less recoil, and fits the hand better as there's more to hold onto (especially w/the mag ext).

P238

vb3gh.jpg

This +1

my ex wife was very sensitive to recoil. we went through a few guns before she discovered the S&W "ladysmith" 3913ls... 9mm in stainless. carried nicely, though admittedly a little on the heavy side compared to a polymer... but that's part of the reason the recoil was so minimal. awesome gun; i even miss it. S&W no longer makes it, so the 3913ls is only available used now.

my wife has fired my XDs in .45, commenting that the recoil wasn't harsh but still too much to be comfortable with.

she's fired my full size CZ-75, saying it is nothing but fun. it's also a bit big to carry, being a full size service pistol.
CZ 75 RAMI was a nice compromise. light, not too much recoil, accurate, reliable and priced fairly.

really, there are so many opinions out there, but the best thing you can do is find a range that rents the guns you're interested in.

When I had my Glock 23 (.40), I carried that. My wife, 130#'s, loved to shoot it. I currently carry the S&W Airweight, it's not real pleasant to shoot with +P's.

My first Glock was a Model 23. I prefer the Glock 19 in 9mm. +P rounds will give you virtually the same performance as .40, and practice ammo will be more affordable and give you less recoil/muzzle climb.

Look at Ruger SR9c. The grip feels a lot smaller than comparable guns, but it is still a double stack with good capacity. 10 rounds in the flush mag and 17 in the extended mag, the gun comes with one of each. The bore axis is really low, and with being 9mm, the recoil is very light. When my wife shot it for the first time, she was scared because the gun was a lot larger than her LCP, and she thought it would have a lot more kick. After the first shot, she looked at me and smiled. She loved it because of the low recoil.

This what I was going to suggest too. I have an SR9, and it shoot very well without excessive recoil, and the SR9c is just a little shorter barrel/grip to make it a little smaller. Never shot an SR9c myself, but I'm very happy with my SR9.

Sound like you need to try Springfield XD-SubCompact / XDM or M&P compact. If you are not in hurry, wait for XDS 9mm.

xd sub-compact felt best on me (medium skinny hands). I can rest my pinky on the grip without extended magazine (it has slightly longer grip than glock 26 but more comfortable).

go try hold them in-person (if you can locate one), good luck. :s0155:

and check out "faliaphotography" on youtube, she does gun/gear reviews for female point of view.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top