JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I recommend...
1) Go shooting with friends who have lots of guns, shoot lots of guns, decide which gun and caliber fits your hand the best and you can shoot the most accurately and quickly
2) Go to a range that has pistols for rent, shoot the guns you are interested in that your friends didn't have and decide which gun and caliber fits your hand the best and you can shoot the most accurately and quickly
3) Go to a gun store with everything else and handle some more guns to see what you might like

A handgun is a very personal choice, there is no one-size-fits-all.

One suggestion for a pretty good price would be the Kahr CW40. Pretty small & light, really easy to conceal. I just sold my 9mm version (CW9). Worked flawlessly after the 1st 50-ish rounds; the manufacturer recommends a 200 round break-in period in any case. Liked it a lot, but jonesin' for a small 1911-style in 9mm. Friends have had the .40 version & have been happy with 'em. Made in America, but some people will mention that the company is owned by a son of Sun Young Moon... anyway... Ah, you'll get MANY suggestions here from people WAY more knowledgeable than I. Let 'em rip y'all!

I recommend...
1) Go shooting with friends who have lots of guns, shoot lots of guns, decide which gun and caliber fits your hand the best and you can shoot the most accurately and quickly
2) Go to a range that has pistols for rent, shoot the guns you are interested in that your friends didn't have and decide which gun and caliber fits your hand the best and you can shoot the most accurately and quickly
3) Go to a gun store with everything else and handle some more guns to see what you might like

A handgun is a very personal choice, there is no one-size-fits-all.

I very much agree if possible for you. People's frame and hand size differences alone can be enough to make one gun more personal over another. And how and where you decide you want to carry too. Sometimes helpful to be able to weed guns out if you know certain standards that are important to you directly (i.e. not bigger/smaller than this frame size, or price range, or steel vs polymer etc). Lot of good guns out there and hard to choose.

I very much agree (*with spengo's post)if possible for you. People's frame and hand size differences alone can be enough to make one gun more personal over another. And how and where you decide you want to carry too. Sometimes helpful to be able to weed guns out if you know certain standards that are important to you directly (i.e. not bigger/smaller than this frame size, or price range, or steel vs polymer etc). Lot of good guns out there and hard to choose.

Me too- if you own a gun yourself (or go with a buddy who owns one) & are in the general PDX area you can rent & try out a bunch of choices at the Clackamas Co. Sheriff Public Safety Training Center(PSTC), or <broken link removed> ... there may be others in town I don't know of where you can 'try before you buy'; but both these are pretty dang cool places. Btw, at TPTS, you must go with a buddy; no solo shooters allowed. Ah, and you must buy your ammo for the session at both places, no biggie.

One suggestion for a pretty good price would be the Kahr CW40. Pretty small & light, really easy to conceal. I just sold my 9mm version (CW9). Worked flawlessly after the 1st 50-ish rounds; the manufacturer recommends a 200 round break-in period in any case. Liked it a lot. Friends have had the .40 version & have been happy with 'em. Made in America, but some people will mention that the company is owned by a son of Sun Young Moon... anyway... Let 'em rip y'all!

What he said.
Add a Crossbreed Mini-tuck and you're good to go.

If you're looking for a slim, single-stack carry weapon, skip to the next post, since I have zero experience with those. I have been cc'ing XD45's for a little over two years and love them. Especially the compact model. Shorter grip makes a big difference in concealment. Before the XD's, I carried beretta 92FS's. They worked for me as well, although they don't get my recommendation due to the sa/da trigger and manual thumb safety. Fine guns in my opinion, but I think something like an XD or glock is a better carry option. My wife had a glock and neither of us liked it, so it was sold years ago. I have nothing against glock in terms of quality, reliability, accuracy, or longevity. I just like XD's better.

Obviously you should make an effort to try as many guns as you can before you buy. I always offer mine for anyone to try, although I only have a few pistols at the moment, so that won't give you much to form your opinion on.

i carry a G27 and a Sig p239 .40 they are both great guns! it all depends on what you shoot best!, but like i said in a different thread get a gun you can shoot well.. there's no point in carrying a gun you cant shoot with a crap.

i carry a hk p2000 on occasion and it fits nice.but that is for me. you need to find one that fits you well, and is easy for you to operate.it is ALL personal preference.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top