JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Looking to purchase a nice conceal carry gun. Wilson Combat EDC X9 vs STI DVC C? Which is better? Anything better out there for a conceal carry handgun?

Wilson Combat:
Wilson Combat EDC X9.jpg
STI DVC C:
STI DVC C.jpg

I remember the write-up in National Rifleman on the EDC X9 and they claimed it was an extremely accurate pistol with the corresponding table showing 5-shot groups at around 1.5".

Then I read the small print and realized that they had mislead the reader by testing it at 15yds rather than at 25yds.

1.5" at 15yds with a rest is NOT impressive.

Probably good enough for self-defense, but the intentionally misleading article soured me on the pistol. YMMV.

I remember the write-up in National Rifleman on the EDC X9 and they claimed it was an extremely accurate pistol with the corresponding table showing 5-shot groups at around 1.5".

Then I read the small print and realized that they had mislead the reader by testing it at 15yds rather than at 25yds.

1.5" at 15yds with a rest is NOT impressive.

Probably good enough for self-defense, but the intentionally misleading article soured me on the pistol. YMMV.

That gun cost about $3,000 and the barrel is hand fitted. I can't imagine it not being accurate.

Too pretty (and pricey) for a carry gun.
If you ever had to use it :
1) It might be locked in an evidence locker for months
2) Or worse, it may get "lost" (destroyed by mistake)

Of the two, I like the Wilson.
Metal frame for carry, I'd go CZ P-01 either alloy or steel frame.

That gun cost about $3,000 and the barrel is hand fitted. I can't imagine it not being accurate.

Do you wish to spend 3K on a gun for carry? If so then I would fully expect it to be a VERY nice gun. Now that does not mean it would work better for you than one that cost $500. The cost often does not correspond with how well the shooter will do with a certain model. Nothing wrong with a high end gun but, before spending that kind of cash I would want to make sure I liked it first. What someone else tells you about it may not translate well to what you end up liking. Really want to spend that kind of cash then find out you don't really like the gun as much as something else you end up trying?

Meanwhile I carry a $100 TCP :confused:

While machining perfection is nice,
$3k versus a RIA compact tactical model runs about $400-$500. Truthfully Id rather carry something less expensive as its going to get beat up, sweat soaked and probably confiscated (god forbid) te carrier ever gets in a deadly altercation.

Great for a range pistol and possibly for an investment though.

Id have a hard time letting a $3k pistol sit in an evidence locker while a jury of limp wrist liberal do nothings decide my fate. Carry what you're willing to beat up, lose (via leo confiscation) and what you shoot well with. I figure two of those (out of the three) should always apply.

Im a YUGE fan of STI 2011 series pistols, however, they have some flaws that need ti be usderstood and if you choose to address them, they cost even more! Best advice is to build a 2011 series pistol from components and deal with the issues as you build and it will cost a lot less!
If you dont want to build, but just have to have a 2011 series, Fusion is one of the best out there for custom hand made to your specs, and they can do a 2011 series with your requirements for around $2800, and you will have a better piece then any STI, Night hawk, or others.
The biggest issues with STI especially for carry, the el cheap-o plastic grip and trigger shoe, fot a pistol at that price, i want quality not cheap made in china parts. The second issue is the design forces you ti run an ambi safety, not a deal breaker, but it makes you have to modify the safety to better fit with a proper CC holster!
Finally, weight! A large frame, long/wide 2011 is a HEAVY pistol, and they are on the chunky side, they also need to be "dehormed" for carry duty!

I already own the STI DVC 3 Gun and I love it. As you can see, I like the good stuff and don't mind spending money for a nice firearm. I'm lacking in a good conceal carry gun. I used to carry a Sig P229 SAS Gen II, but sold it. I would like something with a great trigger and short reset. The smooth slide and awesome trigger on the STI DVC 3 Gun has spoiled me. Looking to replace the Sig P229 with an upgrade. I've learned with a good trigger along with practice brings more accuracy. The Sig P226 West German below would work, but I was looking for something a little nicer.

Tactical Collection_pe.jpg

It supposedly comes with a 1.5" guarantee at 25yds.

Good write up on it here where it gets rave reviews:

Review: Wilson Combat EDC X9 - Lucky Gunner Lounge

But they were unable to get better than 2.5" groups. ALL of my Glocks will do better than that.

This article tested it for accuracy in a ransom rest and it was able to achieve a 1.5" group at 25yds...

Review: Wilson Combat EDC X9 - Guns and Ammo

So the pistol is indeed almost as accurate as my $550 Glock G29... :p

wJ209FvLTuGSOuUdN7sxuQ.jpg

If I could afford a $3k carry pistol, I still wouldn't carry a $3k carry pistol. Not because I would worry about it getting beat up, or taken as evidence, but because $3k pistols rarely have been vetted as being absolutely reliable and trustworthy like $500 pistols have.

Yes, the machining and fitting of parts is superior, and the quality is much higher, and the trigger is better, and, well, it's a $3k pistol. It's a beautiful piece of machinery.

But there aren't a million of them out in the field that have been abused, mishandled, and had thousands and thousands of rounds put through them to verify that they will not fail when needed most.

Not to say that they will fail, or there are any hidden weaknesses, just that you just wouldn't know for sure.

If I could afford a $3k carry pistol, I still wouldn't carry a $3k carry pistol. Not because I would worry about it getting beat up, or taken as evidence, but because $3k pistols rarely have been vetted as being absolutely reliable and trustworthy like $500 pistols have.

Yes, the machining and fitting of parts is superior, and the quality is much higher, and the trigger is better, and, well, it's a $3k pistol. It's a beautiful piece of machinery.

But there aren't a million of them out in the field that have been abused, mishandled, and had thousands and thousands of rounds put through them to verify that they will not fail when needed most.

Not to say that they will fail, or there are any hidden weaknesses, just that you just wouldn't know for sure.

Totally agree. If pride in ownership is what someone is going for, then by all means. But when tolerances get real tight, I've found it takes far less shooting before they start to choke.

I'm a Glock, M&P, P220/226/229 type of guy.

The first time you have an emergency "poo is inbound" moment and you drop your 3k piece on the urine soaked tile floor while trying not to re-paint to stall, you'll wish you had something cheap yet rugged to EDC.

Here is the other thing to think about. If you are ever in an altercation and have to discharge said 3k pistol, you will be torn apart in court by "any" Attorney simply because your were looking for a fight with that kind of money in a carry piece! You will not be able to claim you are an average everyday Joe who was minding his own business and had no choice but to draw! $3,000 pistol in a shoot out is an Attorney's W$% dream.

The first time you have an emergency "poo is inbound" moment and you drop your 3k piece on the urine soaked tile floor while trying not to re-paint to stall, you'll wish you had something cheap yet rugged to EDC.

Here is the other thing to think about. If you are ever in an altercation and have to discharge said 3k pistol, you will be torn apart in court by "any" Attorney simply because your were looking for a fight with that kind of money in a carry piece! You will not be able to claim you are an average everyday Joe who was minding his own business and had no choice but to draw! $3,000 pistol in a shoot out is an Attorney's W$% dream.

Every time this kind of "info" is shared on line I ask, any links to this EVER happening. So far I have yet to see any. All I ever hear is well my bother knew a guy who said he heard..................
As far as I can tell this has never happened, yet regularly it's brought up again and again.

Not sure what the cost of a firearm has to do with weather or not you were looking for a fight. Carry a Glock: No jail time. Carry a Sig: Maybe go to jail. Carry a Wilson Combat: Go straight to jail.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top