JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I use 3 of the recommended loads: Speer Gold Dot 135gr +P in my S&W 638, Hornady TAP 75 Gr. T2 in 5.56 in the Colt LE 6920, and Federal 230 gr. HST in .45.

Now if I could only be attacked by blocks of gelatin wrapped in denim I'll be all set. (just joking, very good article and good post.)

Additional reading for 5.56 ammo fans:
Here is a good thread about the TAP 5.56 some of which was quoted in the first piece

Dr Gary Roberts article for the real nuts...

I use Winchester Black Talons, which should be nearly identical to the Ranger SXT. As for why Im still using black talons, its because my father was law enforcement and had a bunch stock piled for training back when he carried a 9mm. It was short lived, and they soon switched to .40 S&W. So of course when I discovered this munition depo in his garage, I pounced on the oppurtunity :D

I really like all the Winchester Ranger SXT ammo, and have no reason to switch to Speer Gold dots, which would be my only second choice. I used to carry federal hydra shocks in the beginning when I was ill informed, but after reading test after test of multiple rounds failing to expand or fragmenting, I just couldnt carry it anymore.

i carry gold dots in both my revolvers, unfortunately they are they smaller 125 grain +p's. Although im not that concerned about it. I understand preparing for the worst and such but honestly a small percentage of a chance that they wont expand doesnt concern me that much. If one out of 5 rounds doesnt expand and he is still coming then i have more to worry about than why i didnt buy a slightly heavier bullet. Very informative article though thank you. I have read most of this already and done alot of research about bullets and wound tracts and how each round compares to others because i find it interesting.

Matt

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top