JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Sorry I can't post this in the proper sub-forum, but I've hidden a bunch that I'm not interested in, and can't figure out how to unhide them. Anyway, I'm thinking of getting a cap & ball revolver just for something different. Had a Ruger Old Army years ago, but I didn't keep it long, write it off to young and dumb. Don't want to spend a ton, and I'm not all that concerned with historical accuracy. Just looking for something reliable, durable, and easy to operate. @Andy54Hawken, would really like to hear your thoughts on the subject, you seem to be "The Man" when it comes to all things black powder, although I realize this might be a bit modern for your taste ;). I do prefer the style of the Ruger, the older (?) open top designs just don't look right to me. Later, and thanks!

Dave

Thanks for the kind words @daved20319

For function and accuracy...not to forget power with some "hot" loads...
The Ruger Old Army can't be beat.
With that said...
They ain't made any more , and are pricey...$700 on up is what I have seen.

Uberti* makes a Remington style revolver with a more modern adjustable sight...its called the Target Model or something like that.
They also make a revolver that looks like a Colt SAA...but is a cap and ball gun...they shoot well..and are easy to maintain.
*And others....

My favorites are the Colt Dragoon , Colt '51 Navy and Colt '60 Army...
But all of those are of the open top design...so they may not work for you.

Uberti and the newer Pietta guns are the best in quality , in my opinion.
And with that said...they have gone up in price as well....$380 on up...

Used can be a good bet..just be sure to look over the gun.
Pitting can occur if the revolver was not maintained...which may or may not affect accuracy...but pitting can make to more difficult loading after shooting a cylinder or two.
Andy

Last Edited:
Thanks for the kind words @daved20319

For function and accuracy...not to forget power with some "hot" loads...
The Ruger Old Army can't be beat.
With that said...
They ain't made any more , and are pricey...$700 on up is what I have seen.

Uberti* makes a Remington style revolver with a more modern adjustable sight...its called the Target Model or something like that.
They also make a revolver that looks like a Colt SAA...but is a cap and ball gun...they shoot well..and are easy to maintain.
*And others....

My favorites are the Colt Dragoon , Colt '51 Navy and Colt '60 Army...
But all of those are of the open top design...so they may not work for you.

Uberti and the newer Pietta guns are the best in quality , in my opinion.
And with that said...they have gone up in price as well....$380 on up...

Used can be a good bet..just be sure to look over the gun.
Pitting can occur if the revolver was not maintained...which may or may not affect accuracy...but pitting can make to more difficult loading after shooting a cylinder or two.
Andy

Thanks, @Andy54Hawken, that's a big help. I knew the Ruger was discontinued, and that used was pricey, so it's good to know that there are decent quality, less expensive alternatives. My chances of being able to inspect a used gun in person are pretty slim, I live in the boonies, so I'll probably be buying new. And on that subject, why are your favorites, favorites? I'm not totally against the open top design, it's just my inner engineer saying it's a less robust design. If you were going to pick one as strictly a range toy, which would it be, and why? Thanks again!

Dave

The full framed 1858 does not lock up as much (cap getting jammed up in frame) as the 1860 open top frame.

Have only had older Pietta so can't speak to quality of other manufacturers.

Thanks, @Andy54Hawken, that's a big help. I knew the Ruger was discontinued, and that used was pricey, so it's good to know that there are decent quality, less expensive alternatives. My chances of being able to inspect a used gun in person are pretty slim, I live in the boonies, so I'll probably be buying new. And on that subject, why are your favorites, favorites? I'm not totally against the open top design, it's just my inner engineer saying it's a less robust design. If you were going to pick one as strictly a range toy, which would it be, and why? Thanks again!

Dave
You are very welcome.

Historical mindedness plays a big part with my favorites.
Handiness and overall feel as well , excluding the Dragoon , at 4 LBS it ain't handy...but it is fun to shoot.

As far as design strength and the open frame...
A 25- 28 grain load of 2 or 3F ( historical load here ) solved many an issue in the 1860's -70's with a Colt Army
15 -20 gains of 2 or 3F , again a historic load , worked very well with the Colt Navy.

No hot rod loads by today's standards or even the Ruger Old Army ....but they still do the trick today with a replica.

Now it is true that the frame is "weaker" on a open top design...
But that may have mattered more in the 1850's -1870's when these were used or carried on a daily basis.
With that said...one does need to take care when reassembling the Colt revolvers as one can mash
( technical term :D ) the frame pins if ya ain't careful.
Andy

Last Edited:
In regards to the cap following off ....

Use #10 caps as they were made for revolver nipples.
( as a broad general rule )
And in my experience....getting a stuck cap or one that is jammed in between the frame and cylinder out , is easier with a Colt style revolver.

With that said...
Any cap that is stuck or jammed can be a PITA to remove..no matter what style revolver.
And with the Remington or Ruger , you can remove the cylinder while not having to take the barrel off...which can help.
Andy

Last Edited:
Please note that none of the above is to say that the Colt is the best or superior over the Remington design.
It just is meant to point out why I like the Colt design over the Remington design.

Both work very well and shoot good...I have owed and shot both Colt and Remington , originals as well as replicas....and can say that I like 'em both , but prefer the Colt.
Again , I think it mattered more , back when these were in daily use in the 19th century , than in today's shooting world.
Andy

Last Edited:
Oh...I'd stay away from the Armi San Marco replicas....Unless you find one at a really good deal.
Many times the screws are "soft" and mar or the threads get buggered easily.
And the springs tend to be "weaker" than what the other outfits use.

With that said....
The replica Colt and Remington revolvers are easy to work on and tune up.
A excellent book for these sorta projects is :
Basic Cap & Ball Revolver Servicing & Weisz Memorial Portfolio.
Compiled by Richard K. Halter
Andy

Thank you, Andy, you ARE "The Man"! Just window shopping at the moment, need to figure out how to pay for one, but I'm sure I'll be bugging you again once I finally have something in hand. Hey, if you're ever going to be in the Twisp area, give me a shout, I have a beer or other adult beverage with your name on it :D. Take care!

Dave

Thank you, Andy, you ARE "The Man"! Just window shopping at the moment, need to figure out how to pay for one, but I'm sure I'll be bugging you again once I finally have something in hand. Hey, if you're ever going to be in the Twisp area, give me a shout, I have a beer or other adult beverage with your name on it :D. Take care!

Dave
You are very welcome Dave.
After you get your revolver "bug away"...happy to answer questions or add to the confusion... :D
Wait...there is beer involved....? What time should I drop by...:s0090:
Anndy

I have one of these. Not a bad BP revolver. A pain finding a holster for, because of the sight. I modified one which will work, but I may just build a better one...someday.
in my experience with BP revolvers, they require way more attention to detail cleaning than my rifles/shotguns. Not bad, once you get the routine down. For me, a good nipple wrench, pipe cleaners, long Q-tips, and some anti-seize (copper-kote) are a must. Also, spare nipples. I have all these for my percussion rifles/shotguns, but it is a 6x process (and 12x with 2 cylinders) for a revolver.

I own an Uberti clone of the Remington 1858 New Army revolver. The thing is bloody beautiful and a hoot to shoot. I think it's probably the best looking of the cap and ball variety. But then I may be biased. :) BE9B0083-321B-438D-993B-90C3B1814E09.jpeg

I have a Pietta 1851 Confederate Navy (not historically accurate as it's in 44 cal) that I really love. It's a ton of fun to shoot, easy to use, and has a beautiful look. Are there better BP guns out there? Probably. But for the $120 I paid the fun can't be beat

Take a look at the Rogers & Spencer, too, it's a mite more hand-filling than most others - Colts, in particular, have tiny grips by modern standards.

ASM went to the wall about 1996. As andy says, QC is iffy - I was lucky with my 3rd Model Dragoon, though, but the guy who bought it from me was disappointed, albeit around ten years of hard use later.

Modern Piettas are made using CNC methods, and are much easier to care for as a result, int the event of needing new components. Having said all that, the only parts not original on my Ruger Old Army are the nipples - the gun dates from March 2nd, 1986.

If you are ever around Springfield OR, THE place is the The Gun Works on the western edge of town, a couple of minutes off I5.

When you go, tell Suzi hello for me.

Last Edited:
Good luck finding a new ROA - production stopped in 2008.

Finding a second-hand one is easier, but spares from Ruger are non-existent and rely on diligent searching of the WWW.

With that in mind, a nice new Pietta Remington New Model Army in .44cal AND stainless steel might just satisfy your itch. Add to that a pocket hit of less than $400, especially in a deal. ROAs over here in UK are hitting lunatic prices - around $1000 doesn't even get you on the dealer's wish-list.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top