JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
here is a quick reference pic of some bullets.
From left to right
6.5 -127, 270-140, 30-150 and 30-168
Notice the 6.5 is the lightest yet it is the longest and probably flies better than the stubby 30 cal 150 gr.
In reality all rifles mentioned in here can take an elk at 600, but Anyone that shoots that far needs to practice at those ranges a lot. Just because you have some big magnum doesn't mean you can hit a side of barn that far.

View attachment 681772

Never used a 150gr for elk, was always a min of 180gr and as much as 220gr. :)

Also never took a shot at more than 200yds, tho have seen lots of elk at 400 that others were shooting at and missing high, low, whatever. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I have used 180 grain in 06's, 250 grain in 338 WM. 300 WM 180-200. 150 grain is lite in my opinion for elk. I would skip this 6.5 totally; I'd like close to 2000 foot pounds of energy down range and not less for elk.

I would t use 150 in my 06 either
But people do all the time. The 168 ttsx is my main elk medicine.
I'd have no problem taking a 400 yard shot if conditions and my rest was right.
Anything over 200 yards you need to have a solid rest. But I practice at these ranges, and I know for me, after 400 yard the details really start to add up.

Last Edited:
I have used 180 grain in 06's, 250 grain in 338 WM. 300 WM 180-200. 150 grain is lite in my opinion for elk. I would skip this 6.5 totally; I'd like close to 2000 foot pounds of energy down range and not less for elk.

Yes... I used 180 in my .308 and 220 in a borrowed 300wm.

A friend that has a 6.5CM insisted that a narrower bullet going faster would punch thru to vitals at least as well, if not better. When I mentioned it in this forum previously, a lot of members said that if the shot hits bone, a heavier bullet will do much better. I tend to be old school with the heavier bullets, even tho I only take heart/lung shots... or at least I used to, haven't hunted elk for years. (bad back, bad feet, low energy, bad eyesight, adds up to no hunting :()

At 600 yards I'd think the 300 WM or better the 300 Weatherby Mag. Or, 338 WM or 340 Weatherby Mag. 300 WM or 7 MM mag as minimum. But myself I'd skip the 600 yards as most here have suggested.

Yes... I used 180 in my .308 and 220 in a borrowed 300wm.

A friend that has a 6.5CM insisted that a narrower bullet going faster would punch thru to vitals at least as well, if not better. When I mentioned it in this forum previously, a lot of members said that if the shot hits bone, a heavier bullet will do much better. I tend to be old school with the heavier bullets, even tho I only take heart/lung shots... or at least I used to, haven't hunted elk for years. (bad back, bad feet, low energy, bad eyesight, adds up to no hunting :()
I agree with your friend to a point, obviously it all depends on bullet construction. but yes, the bigger the animal, the bigger the bullet.
Also, we Really got to think that the 6.5 Swede has been killing moose for 100+ years. And with todays bullet technology, optics, ballistic charts and the creedmoor designed for accuracy. not unrealistic to ask for 600.
My biggest gripe about long range, is guys not practicing enough at these desired ranges. Or some wanting a budget rifle but then want a magnum and how are they going to afford 100s of rounds to practice with, when they are on a budget. o_O :mad:

Last Edited:
I agree with your friend to a point, obviously it all depends on bullet construction. but yes, the bigger the animal, the bigger the bullet.
Also, we Really got to think that the 6.5 Swede has been killing moose for 100+ years. And with todays bullet technology optics, ballistic charts and the creedmor designed for accuracy. not unrealistic to ask for 600.
My biggest gripe about long range, is guys not practicing enough at these desired ranges. Or some wanting a budget rifle but then want a magnum and how are they going to afford 100s of rounds to practice with, when they are on a budget. o_O :mad:

All good points!!

As I indicated earlier, I think shooting an elk at 600 yards is real iffy and chances are you going to wound and track. The elk i have killed have all been within 200 maybe one at 225 yards and ALL have been taken with either an 30- 06 180 gr Nosler or a 7mm mag 175 gr Nosler handloads, Most take two shots to put down with lung shots behind the shoulder. This tells me that at 600 yards you may have problems.

I am thinking that shooting elk at 600 yards is a non-bizarre delusion. I think the average range of shooting elk is within 150 yards, maybe 125. Maybe someone knows on the board but it is a short distance.
I am thinking that whoever set outs to shoot elk at 600 yards, or even think of the actual possibility of that distance or more, is either a marine sniper certified and knows the terrain or a novice who has not hunted elk very much nor ever responsibly taken one and does not know how difficult it is to hunt these animals and to put them down humanly. I shot one with a 338 WM with 250 grain Sierra Game King bullets at 90 yards putting 3 rounds through the shoulder and the elk did not more. That 338 puts out about 4000 plus foot pounds of energy at the muzzle. I'd think that I can safely say I can responsibly shoot a 338 or 300 WM at elk inside of 300 yards and would pass up beyond that. Not even to think about 600 yards plus with what ever rifle. If one of my hunting buddies was to entertain seriously the idea of a 600 yard shot at elk I'd think he would be off his rocker and having delusions of grandeur. None of my crew, all experienced hunters with 25 average years of hunting with '06 and 300 WM even think of shooting beyond 200 yards.

Looking for some insight. I am trying to decide on a cartridge that would be good for game as big as an elk. Shots out to 600 yards plus. I currently have a 6.5 Creedmoor and love it as a target rifle but I have read conflicting things on the effectiveness on game out to decent ranges. Any opinions would be appreciated.
I think we all might be missing a point, with all this talk of the 6.5 Creedmoor.
If we go back to 1775usmc's opening post, he only mentions he has a 6.5 Creedmoor.

On second read, it seems he's looking to move away from that cartridge.

We all may have wasted 8 pages of this thread discussing a non-issue.
However, the discussions on not taking the shot at 600 yards may be quite prudent, however, the OP may have reasons for considering such a risky endeavour.
.....maybe he could return to this thread and fill us in on why. o_O

Dean

I think we all might be missing a point, with all this talk of the 6.5 Creedmoor.
If we go back to 1775usmc's opening post, he only mentions he has a 6.5 Creedmoor.

On second read, it seems he's looking to move away from that cartridge.

We all may have wasted 8 pages of this thread discussing a non-issue.
However, the discussions on not taking the shot at 600 yards may be quite prudent, however, the OP may have reasons for considering such a risky endeavour.
.....maybe he could return to this thread and fill us in on why. o_O

Dean
I'm getting a 300 win mag. They can lock or delete this thread for all I care. I appreciate a select amount of info giving and have disregarded the rest.

I am not one of those people looking for a caliber to "make" me a good shot. I have full confidence in my own abilities. I am just curious on people's first hand experience. I have been away from hunting for nearly a decade and just want to be ready as far as gear goes when the time comes. Trying to be fair to the animal. I love the 6.5 cm and it's potential (range/accuracy).
1775usmc,

This may come off a bit....trite, but rest assured, I'm only being honest with you.
I figure anyone here who comes here and asks a question deserves at least that much respect.
When I was a kid, my dad's "Elk Gun" was a sporterized '98 Mauser in 8x57.
Good powerful round that I would feel confident taking an Elk, a Moose, or maybe even a Buffalo with...although I wouldn't want to take a 600 yard shot with it (no scope).
However, the fact that gun never wore a scope does lend to the idea of hunting, as opposed to shooting.
Maybe I'm just old, but I've always hunted with the mindset that if you can't get within a reasonable distance to your quarry to get a good shot, then maybe that day just isn't your day to bag it.
There's always next time.
It's how I was taught to hunt.
I think some of us just get so caught up in "bagging the game", they never entertain the idea that the game may just be the one who wins this day.
A little respect for what it is you're going after can do wonders for how you'll feel about that hunt, afterwards, whether you actually come home with something or not.
I didn't always bring the game home, but rarely did I not have a good time or felt I "failed" because I didn't bring anything home.
If your handle is any indication of your abilities with a firearm, then I think you're already a good enough shooter to get the job done, but the fact that you're entertaining such a long shot tells me you may be a bit naive in your hunting experiences.
If I were you, I wouldn't prepare for long range shots. I'd spend that time getting smart enough about the woods to allow yourself to get into an advantageous position to take a shot within a reasonable distance (and even then, there's no guarantee that the shot is going to be successful).
I think you're right in considering a cartridge that fires a more massive bullet for elk hunting, but I also think a good used Boltie in .30-06 with a 3-9X scope will do you just fine.
Keep the bullets on the heavier side, 180-220 gr. range, and you should have no problems downing an elk.
Nice thing about the heavier bullets....they work on Blacktail just as good as the lighter ones do, too. ;)
Good luck and let's all hope that the upcoming season doesn't get cancelled.

Dean

1775usmc,

This may come off a bit....trite, but rest assured, I'm only being honest with you.
I figure anyone here who comes here and asks a question deserves at least that much respect.
When I was a kid, my dad's "Elk Gun" was a sporterized '98 Mauser in 8x57.
Good powerful round that I would feel confident taking an Elk, a Moose, or maybe even a Buffalo with...although I wouldn't want to take a 600 yard shot with it (no scope).
However, the fact that gun never wore a scope does lend to the idea of hunting, as opposed to shooting.
Maybe I'm just old, but I've always hunted with the mindset that if you can't get within a reasonable distance to your quarry to get a good shot, then maybe that day just isn't your day to bag it.
There's always next time.
It's how I was taught to hunt.
I think some of us just get so caught up in "bagging the game", they never entertain the idea that the game may just be the one who wins this day.
A little respect for what it is you're going after can do wonders for how you'll feel about that hunt, afterwards, whether you actually come home with something or not.
I didn't always bring the game home, but rarely did I not have a good time or felt I "failed" because I didn't bring anything home.
If your handle is any indication of your abilities with a firearm, then I think you're already a good enough shooter to get the job done, but the fact that you're entertaining such a long shot tells me you may be a bit naive in your hunting experiences.
If I were you, I wouldn't prepare for long range shots. I'd spend that time getting smart enough about the woods to allow yourself to get into an advantageous position to take a shot within a reasonable distance (and even then, there's no guarantee that the shot is going to be successful).
I think you're right in considering a cartridge that fires a more massive bullet for elk hunting, but I also think a good used Boltie in .30-06 with a 3-9X scope will do you just fine.
Keep the bullets on the heavier side, 180-220 gr. range, and you should have no problems downing an elk.
Nice thing about the heavier bullets....they work on Blacktail just as good as the lighter ones do, too. ;)
Good luck and let's all hope that the upcoming season doesn't get cancelled.

Dean
Thanks for the input.

I recall that somewhere along this thread some of the curbside consultations were that the 6.5 will do the job, which I think the community tended to discount for any long range hunting. Those opinions may have been misguided education on the original subject at hand?

.375 caliber for me... I've never had to shoot an elk more than once with my .375 H&H. Large heavy bullets at moderate velocities = humane kills with little wasted meat. After all. Thats what matters most. Our elk deserve a lot better treatment that the 6.5 could ever hope to offer.

My pal, Uffie Nordstrom, who was a professional game management officer in Norway for his entire working life, as was his father and grandfather before him, NEVER shot a moose that was further away than 100m - ever. But then he only ever had the one rifle, too, his dad's m/38 short rifle.

All his shots were taken with iron sights.
1586611277673.png
Top - m/96 service rifle - 1895 - 1938 - this rifle is missing its clearing/cleaning rod.
Bottom - m/38 short rifle -1938 - 1978-ish.

For those not familiar with it, this is the original Carl Gustaf service rifle in 6.5x55, arsenal-converted in the late-1930s to be a somewhat shorter and handier service rifle. After many were converted from the Carl Gustaf so-called long rifle, manufacture was handed over to Husqvarna who them made them them from scratch. The Carl Gustaf arsenal closed down at that time.

His father was in the Ling, the Norwegian resistance to nazi occupation during WW2, and found it a very adequate cartridge to use on nazis, too. The upside to shooting them was they never needed dressing out after shooting.

The record long free sight shot was done with a mosin the video is on you tube many other extremely long shots have been made by inexperienced shooters many times there are many videos I personally have a mosin that I would take to do any long shot over any other rifle I own but that's just me although I have gone side by side with extremely expensive 308 bench rest setups and have had no problem out shooting them

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top