JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I sincerely hope that bbbass did not intend to make fun of those with Parkinson's Disease.

I'm sorry. :oops::oops::oops:

No, my brother has Parkinson's and I love him and pray for him. So does my next door neighbor.

Inappropriate humor... but I deal with things by laughing. It's like ambulance humor.

Generally Speaking, Start with something in at least .30 Caliber for Elk, especially at that kind of distance; The longer the barrel the better.

That being said the 114 year old 30-06 has probably killed more animals in North America than any other. Moreover, from bobcat's to Polar Bears; It is quite capable of 1000 yard plus shots, with over the counter rifles like the Winchester Model 70 or Remington 700. In addition, it's hard to beat the amount of different ammo available over the counter, let alone the projectile & powder choices if you reload.

You're going to need a good Scope like a Leupold, that will likely cost more than your rifle and practice with the rifle & ammo you're planning to use... Find out if Lead Free Ammo is required where you're going.

If your handle is any indicator of past or present military status you will remember shooting 500 yard 6ft targets with open sites and a 5.56 rifle and said targets look like a postage stamp with the naked eye at that distance.

In most locales where unleaded is a requirement you can not even possess any lead ammo on your person or in your vehicle while you're on your hunt.

Shot placement, matters most.

Semper Fi

I'm sorry. :oops::oops::oops:

No, my brother has Parkinson's and I love him and pray for him. So does my next door neighbor.

Inappropriate humor... but I deal with things by laughing. It's like ambulance humor.
Humor is good, as long as it doesn't take too much hide off of someone.
We had a guy on the crew that had Tourette Syndrome .
He would always talk about hunting and shooting.
One day, one of the guys said...."Twitch, how can you shoot accurately ?"
Twitch replied...
"I pull the trigger between the twitches."

:)

Humor is good, as long as it doesn't take too much hide off of someone.
We had a guy on the crew that had Tourette Syndrome .
He would always talk about hunting and shooting.
One day, one of the guys said...."Twitch, how can you shoot accurately ?"
Twitch replied...
"I pull the trigger between the twitches."

:)

Good one!!!

I guess I don't see how the crack I made would be all that offensive. But I apologized anyway.

We work closely with people, often under great stress or with danger, and morgue humor gets to be a pressure valve/relief. For the afflicted also. Most of the people I know that have conditions/disabilities don't take themselves too seriously and are the first to crack self deprecating jokes. That's how they/we survive. *

* - I personally have a great number of afflictions, some long ago (like being horribly burned at age 7 and then living in S. Calif where everybody went to the beach... :eek: - hide me. Then I had horrible acne - pizza face. Today... I don't even want to start on my physical problems. :() and often crack wise. But I guess I forget where I am... there are people here that have a history with me, and newbies that don't.... Sorry to them!! <shrug> I'm not doing too well lately. Life is pretty sucky!!

Hey, back in 2018 I had a deal of facial surgery to remove cancer, and for sure I'm not the god-like Adonis that Mrs tac married all those years ago. Do I give a rat's rump? Not really, I got the gal of my dreams almost half a century ago and feel no need to go preening around anymore.

I also hit the ground way too many times wearing issue army boots, now known to have contributed to wholesale foot and ankle damage over the years - all of it incurable let alone treatable. Sure, they give me a disability pension, but I'd much rather be able to walk a mile without my feet exploding, or get out of bed in the morning with ankles that actually move. And to think that my sport was biathlon!!

We all, if we are honest, are falling apart, one way or another. I just hope to do it gracefully, with a small degree of elegance, rather like watching a mighty tower fall slowly across the clear blue sky on a beautiful summer day.

My suggestion would be a .338 Winchester Magnum with a 200gr. Bullet for the 600+ shots. Personally, I would not even Consider a shot at a Big Game Animal at anything over 200 yards. Any critter beyond 200 yards is one I'll be spending some time getting closer to.

10mm is the best millimeter. At least from what I've read on the internet.

Im certain your 6.5 is more than crabapple of taking an elk at 600 yards. If your not, spend more time practicing than buying another gun.
Ive never taken an elk at 600 yards with 6.5 or with a crabapple. But seems to me that after 600 yards the crabapple wouldnt penetrate adequately.

Inside 300 yards! Too much risk outside of that. Maybe for a seasoned and certified Marine Sniper; but not a yo-yo from the local range; myself included. Take no chances to wound that animal. Sportsman has and demands high standards!

Maybe I am missing something but a 6.5 Creedmore with 125 grain bullet at 500 yards delivers 1200 foot pounds of energy. Sounds naive to use 6.5 on Elk if not cruel at 600 yards. What am I missing?

Maybe I am missing something but a 6.5 Creedmore with 125 grain bullet at 500 yards delivers 1200 foot pounds of energy. Sounds naive to use 6.5 on Elk if not cruel at 600 yards. What am I missing?

Guy wants to know what people think is the best caliber to use to shoot an elk 600 yards away

I am opposed to taking an elk with anything at that distance for a number of reasons. However, IMHO either .300 win mag or .300WSM work nicely. My longest shot/kill was 280 yards with a 140 gr rocket from a .270 Win. Three years ago I passed up on an up-hill shot at 500 yards in pouring rain. Last day of the season. Was with my oldest. He wouldn't take the shot either.

One thing you're missing is bullet mass vs. target mass.
125 gr. bullet is devastating on a 100 lb. Blacktail, but there's a lot more muscle mass and bigger bones to break through on an 800 lb. Elk.
I would feel more comfortable using something larger when the game gets that big.
At 500 yards, Hornady's 180 gr. SST in a .30-06 is making just over 1500 ft./lbs. of energy. I would think at 600 yards it might still be surpassing the energy of the 125 gr. 6.5 load...and it possesses over 50% more bullet to help tear through that beast, to boot.

I am opposed to taking an elk with anything at that distance for a number of reasons. However, IMHO either .300 win mag or .300WSM work nicely. My longest shot/kill was 280 yards with a 140 gr rocket from a .270 Win. Three years ago I passed up on an up-hill shot at 500 yards in pouring rain. Last day of the season. Was with my oldest. He wouldn't take the shot either.
You guys are some smart hunters. :s0155:

One thing you're missing is bullet mass vs. target mass.
125 gr. bullet is devastating on a 100 lb. Blacktail, but there's a lot more muscle mass and bigger bones to break through on an 800 lb. Elk.
I would feel more comfortable using something larger when the game gets that big.
At 500 yards, Hornady's 180 gr. SST in a .30-06 is making just over 1500 ft./lbs. of energy. I would think at 600 yards it might still be surpassing the energy of the 125 gr. 6.5 load...and it possesses over 50% more bullet to help tear through that beast, to boot.
Yep, people should be thinking about how much energy their pet load is delivering at whatever range.
1500 ft lbs is what some use as a minimum for a humane kill on elk.
160 grain bullet driven at the proper velocity might be the low end for the OP's proposed range.

here is a quick reference pic of some bullets.
From left to right
6.5 -127, 270-140, 30-150 and 30-168
Notice the 6.5 is the lightest yet it is the longest and probably flies better than the stubby 30 cal 150 gr.
In reality all rifles mentioned in here can take an elk at 600, but Anyone that shoots that far needs to practice at those ranges a lot. Just because you have some big magnum doesn't mean you can hit a side of barn that far.

B2E10F51-1167-441B-8279-ACF44672FAEE.jpeg

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR