JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I bought a upper from a local store and she bought a lower receiver on the order.I eye the thing every time I go in there.

So today I went in and put some cash on the 1991 A1,I've been fondling and the receiver .A Stag Arms lower.They manufacture these for a number of other gun makers,too

Anyway.I have a 5.56 upper with a 24" stainless bull barrel,flat top,old school stock.
Now I want to put together more of a tactical rifle,but I am not a big fan of the 5.56 as my defense round.
I don't mind the 7.62X39,as it was my first thought.Well along with a 6.5 grendel

Is the 6.5 gunna go the way of the 10mm? Some of us diehards loving it and everyone else asking huh?
Or will there be plenty of ammo for it?
Cost between the 2 are close.
How about the heavy calibers?Will they keep a big enough following to keep ammo around?

And I will probably get a 5.56 upper for it too.

Thanks
Mike

Now that silencers are fully legal you should do a .300 Wisper/BLK/Fireball/.300-221/ect.

200+gr bullet just under the speed of sound. Nice and quiet with a heavy hit.

I think the 7.62x39 is the way to go............ I have one and like it a lot. After shooting Ak's and SKS's and struggling with accuracy, it's nice to shoot something that's really accurate in that caliber. The only problem I've had is that sometimes Wolf ammo doesn't fire. I think the primer cup is harder. I was told I need a stronger hammer spring but I haven't had any problems with other ammo.

Another possibility is 6.5 x 45 wildcat. I read in American Rifleman that someone was building uppers for it. You can easily form brass from 5.56 and it uses standard mags. Just a thought................

I think the 7.62x39 is the way to go............ I have one and like it a lot. After shooting Ak's and SKS's and struggling with accuracy, it's nice to shoot something that's really accurate in that caliber. The only problem I've had is that sometimes Wolf ammo doesn't fire. I think the primer cup is harder. I was told I need a stronger hammer spring but I haven't had any problems with other ammo.

Another possibility is 6.5 x 45 wildcat. I read in American Rifleman that someone was building uppers for it. You can easily form brass from 5.56 and it uses standard mags. Just a thought................

Don't know about the Wolf, but the 5.45x39 surplus ammo likes a bit stronger spring. I think most uppers for the Russian ammo 7.62x39 or 5.45x39 come with extra springs.

I have a x39 ar and love it. I also don't have that much confidence in the 556 round as that's why I went with the x39. Cheap to shoot and ammo as always plentyfull. As far as the 5.45x39, don't underestimate it, it's a wicked little round! Blows bigger holes then my 556 ar does!

Why? The 5.56 has put a lot of bad guys in the ground and is the single best cartridge for the AR15 in a defensive roll.

I talked to many guys from the Army and other branches that saw duty in the gulf and Somalia.There just weren't any that I can remember saying "5.56 is the best round out there" None seemed real impressed with the round.
And every time I would say I don't like the idea of sending a 22,no matter how fast it flies it's a 22,with our boys for combat,most agree with me.
It is an inexpensive round to send many bullets down range,for cover fire.But I would like a bigger caliber.So the 5.4 is out.

Again how will the 6.5s be for getting ammo in the next few years?
Or the 300s?
Will I need to collect lots of brass so it's not just a door stop?

And thanks for the replies

Well for .300 you make your own brass for cheep .223 brass. Run it though a die and cut it down. The .300 has been around for a long time now but this year is the first year anyone got spec for it and made it commercial in the BLK. You can use any .30 cal bullets but the heavier is better for use with a silencer. So if you have access to .223 brass and .30 cal bullets .300 will be around for a long time.

so many choices it will make your head spin.

what would be your purpose for another caliber?

if its just to shoot cheap 5.45x39

if its for a heavy hitter and still shoot cheap 7.62x39 (thats if if they worked out all the mag problems of the past)

if its for deer hunting and lot more KAPOW 6.5 grendel but ammo is pretty much mail order only and is expensive what about a dollar a pop?

If its for self defense and deer hunting 6.8 spc but again a dollar a pop but ammo can be found local and gun dealers.

the .300 blk hmmm tempting only needs to swop out the barrel correct ? thats kind of cool a lot of KAPOW but kind of short range compared to the others above ? still what a dollar a pop?

now if your a hand loader any of the last 3 mentioned would be a good choice it just comes down to personal preference . My personal choice out of the last 3 would be the 6.8 spc from what i gather is your goal being something beeffer than the .223 and still have available ammo .

the .300 blk hmmm tempting only needs to swop out the barrel correct ? thats kind of cool a lot of KAPOW but kind of short range compared to the others above ? still what a dollar a pop?

Only different part in a .300 xxx is the barrel, all other parts are standard AR-15.

Range with SS ammo is still MOA at 300 yards. I know some guys shoot lightweight (~125gr) bullet supersonic but not sure what ranges they are getting. It is very similar to the .30 Rem AR that came out recently.

No idea on price but handload with SMK's for about $0.50/rd.

if its for deer hunting and lot more KAPOW 6.5 grendel but ammo is pretty much mail order only and is expensive what about a dollar a pop?

Hornady is under a buck a round, Wolf Gold even cheaper. Wolf is working on a steel case Grendel round that well sell for about .30 cents each bulk. When that becomes available I well have one or more carbines in 6.5G.

I have a 300 whisper (10 years old) and 458 socom uppers for my ar-15. The 300 is light recoil and hearing safe with a can, the 458 recoils more and is a bit loud when suppressed. Take a look at the 9mm and 45 acp uppers too.

Ranb

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top