JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Best Burger EVER, Brick Ally pub, Newport Rhode Island, Right next door to the international Tennis Hall of Fame! Get the Lobster Bisque and salad bar and a Deluxe Bacon Burger with Blue cheese dressing and hand cut fries! Call Wambulance when finished!

Pilot Butte Drive In on the East side of Bend makes some killer hamburgers.
However, my personal favorite burger was the Markum Burger from the Markum Inn in scenic Marquam Oregon. The place burned down a few years back, and they've just recently rebuilt with new owners. Haven't tried out the new place yet. Kind of afraid they'll have spoiled it...
Good to know some things haven't changed--I ate at Pilot Butte twice in the '90s passing through Bend--once for a family friend's wedding, the other on a roadtrip, and they were a Would Go Back (the most important praise I have).

As for the Ranger Burger... dump all that plant stuff, strip it down to meat, cheese and bread and Bring It! (At the Puyallup Fair as a kid I was known to kill Double Cheesequakes in one helping, and even a standard Pizza Hut large pizza... bear in mind that I'm on a SIX THOUSAND calorie a day diet through the winter months, roughly a Quarter Pounder value-meal every three and three-quarter hours.)

I discovered Killer Burger near my downtown Portland office. Already smitten with their Jose Mendoza burger (7-8 times), I met a friend at the one out on Sandy. The place was small and crowded with deafening frantic music. The only 4 unoccupied (wooden picnic) tables were littered with trash from previous diners. Not impressed but in a hurry, we ordered and ate anyway.

Halfway through the meal, my buddy said it was one of the best burgers he'd ever had, with excellent fries and a fine micro-brew. I agreed.

Even a sloppy setting with crappy tunes can't kill a good burger, brew and fries. Still a dedicated customer.
Yep, that's the place. The music can be a bit overwhelming and if you don't get there early enough finding a table is difficult at best. You really should try the peanut butter burger if only for the unique experience.

Kickstand Bar and Grill, corner of Inkster & Van Born roads, TaylorTucky, Michigan.
A biker bar. Low key. They grind their meat right there. Bloodiest, most tender, succulent 1/2 lb burger with bleu cheese and grilled onions I have EVER had. Fries, also cut right there, were finished to a perfect scald with excellent seasoning and fresh, crisp dill pickle to garnish. I was in HEAVEN!
That was in 2008. If I ever make it back there, I'll be sure to stop in.

Do any of you older guys remember The Family Inn on 82 and Foster. The burger was not necessarily the best but it was the biggest burger for your buck. It was as big as normal size plate it had to come on on a large plate to fit fries on the side. and it was stupid cheap like under $5 . I keep thinking it was like $4 but that seems to low even though it back in what some of the younger guys here would consider the stone ages.

Probably why they went out of business.

Oh and their omelets were like a half dozen extra large eggs at least they were huge too.

Well, if any of you are ever in Tennessee for whatever reason, you gotta try Fat Mo's. The burger looks bigger in person to be honest.

image.jpeg

Actually, they are about the only fast food burger that I will eat anymore.

I'm just amazed that they are able to make a good tasting burger for only $2.50

I also like In-N-Out burgers. But we still don't have one locally here. :(

I've had In-N-Out a couple times down in CA - I have to say I wasn't impressed.

Slightly off-topic, I tried Chick-Fil-A for the first time after they opened in Clackamas this last year. I had heard their chicken was just amazing as was their special dipping sauce. Well, after waiting in line for about 30 minutes to finally get my order (why it that place so buzy??), I got my food and proceeded to be....unimpressed. It was good, but honestly their little chicken nuggets tasted almost exactly like KFC original recipe. It surprises me that some folks talk up places so bigly yet they end up being, in reality, something far less.

So many good sounding burgers, but I can't eat so much anymore. 1/3 pound patty with a hint of pink, char grilled a plus. Cheese is a must, unless it's one of the funny/strong tasting process cheeses. A proper amount of veggies, with onions/pickles a must, on a bun that will hold up without being too tough. Sauce of some kind whether ketchup, mustard, aioli, thousand etc, served hot! THAT IS a good burger.

To be honest, my first thought when I see a burger piled high with OTM (Other Than Meat) is that whoever's making it feels like they have something to hide on the meat.

Same with cheesesteaks--a true Philly offers "Wit, or Wit-out" (onions and peppers) and a sandwich shop who INSISTS that they have to be Wit, or worse yet insists on adding mushrooms... well, those are some very strong flavors and when used to excess they give me the impression that you're trying to hide using cut-rate meat, cheese and bread.

Good meat and cheese, maybe one or two "theme" ingredients if you're trying to give it a bit of a twist, but the meat and cheese are the Headliners and the Supporting Cast need to stay firmly in Supporting roles.

To be honest, my first thought when I see a burger piled high with OTM (Other Than Meat) is that whoever's making it feels like they have something to hide on the meat.

Same with cheesesteaks--a true Philly offers "Wit, or Wit-out" (onions and peppers) and a sandwich shop who INSISTS that they have to be Wit, or worse yet insists on adding mushrooms... well, those are some very strong flavors and when used to excess they give me the impression that you're trying to hide using cut-rate meat, cheese and bread.

Good meat and cheese, maybe one or two "theme" ingredients if you're trying to give it a bit of a twist, but the meat and cheese are the Headliners and the Supporting Cast need to stay firmly in Supporting roles.

I'm a meat purist - if I were in Philly, I'd be a 'wit-out' guy. Leave the onions on the side, cooked up as onion rings - I want to taste the MEAT!

And above all, green leaf lettuce. I love the stuff - but in a salad and not on my burger. I've been told it "healthier" than iceberg lettuce - on a 500+ calorie fat bomb o_O Iceberg lettuce for me, please, as God intended.

I've had a lot a burgers in my day.. no real complaints. Don't really get them too often these days.. even faster food joints.
Usually make them myself.
However, if ever I'm hankering for a once-in-three-year fix,
I'll go to Red Robin's for the Hawaiian with endless fries and one a those salted caramel milkshakes in a steel bubblegum mixing jug.. o yea
Their menu and consistent high quality has remained the same for decades and I appreciate that.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top