JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If you have not yet tried the California Classic Double Cheeseburger at Carl's Jr yet, you will be in for quite a surprise. Sometimes I just want a quick snack, and don't want to spend a lot of money. But the cheap burgers at McDonalds taste like garbage, and low cost options at Burger King and Wendy's are only a little better.

But this new California Classic Double Cheeseburger costs only $2.50 for just the Burger. That is such a cheap meal. And it is actually quite Tasty! Has a delicious thousand island sauce that is filled with onions. Plus TWO slices of tomato, and lettuce.

Plus the meat tastes quite good to boot. All for only $2.50

Give it a try.

Addendum: Looking back to the late 90s, I used to be able to eat a Ranger Burger at the Four Winds Restaurant; half way between FT. Benning and Camp Darby (HWY 26 as I recall). Something like 4 or 5 inches tall; bacon, cheese, maders, onion, lettuce, pickles, and a couple slabs of beef.

Those were the days I could eat and drink just about anything....:p

<broken link removed>

For current favs - 5 Guys, Roakes, and Alf's in McMinnville. Love Roakes's burgers and their fries. Prefer the location on Columbia Blvd over the one on McLoughlin.

HAAAA! We would stop at Alf's coming back from road trips. As I got older it was tough to make it home with that huge gut bomb laying there in me. I love the classic old tymie burger joint places. Last time we were at Alf's, about four years ago I guess, that monkey they've got behind the glass? He was pulling at his diaper and eating little pieces of it! :eek: But boy, I loves me some hamburgers!

#1 - Roakes.

#2 - Black Bear in Madras.

#3 = wossitcalled in Yoojeen, a spit and a f*rt away from Mazama Outdoor Sports new store.

tac

That Black Bear in Madras is a regular stop for us when we are passing through the area - I agree, they do make a great burger. They have a location in Beaverton too, but I've never been to that one, so I don't know if it's as good - they are a franchise and I find that means things can vary from location to location.

Actually Mike's Drive-in makes a decent, not the best, but decent, burger too.

If I have to fast-food a burger, I'll choose 5 Guys first, second would be Carl's Jr - they actually manage a decent burger, for a fast food joint.

My biggest complaint for any burger joint is the fries - so many lame or mediocre fries out there - so few do it well. My preferred sides are onion rings (Carl's does these fairly well, again, for a fast food place) or tater tots, nice and crispy, but not many offer that option.

Perhaps they'd sold already. The service was abysmal. The burgers and slimy fries took 30 minutes. We were the only 2 customers in there (so I'm guessing the rest of Portland already got the memo). I don't know who the f__ decided it's okay to destroy a thin, nasty little burger with sweet pickle relish, but I prudently restrained myself from going back into the kitchen to "educate" some unsuspecting chump - probably with a cigarette dangling at the grille.

Stanich's went through quite the upheaval after George died. There must have been some issues between family members. The place was busy all the time and all they had to do was continue as normal. We were regulars at the Fremont location from '83 when I moved here. I just don't think the family wanted to run a popular burger joint, or, the kids had been forced into it for so much of their life they were soured on the whole idea? You never know about these things?

They're still open, but weird hours. I/we haven't gone in there for years, due to "Cold Molasses" speed service. I drive by there all the time, and when the are open it looks like the place might be close to half full during lunch hour.

And about the sweet pickle relish, I think they ALWAYS had that on there. Whoever built your guys burgers was sloppy with it.

If you have not yet tried the California Classic Double Cheeseburger at Carl's Jr yet, you will be in for quite a surprise. Sometimes I just want a quick snack, and don't want to spend a lot of money. But the cheap burgers at McDonalds taste like garbage, and low cost options at Burger King and Wendy's are only a little better.

But this new California Classic Double Cheeseburger costs only $2.50 for just the Burger. That is such a cheap meal. And it is actually quite Tasty! Has a delicious thousand island sauce that is filled with onions. Plus TWO slices of tomato, and lettuce.

Plus the meat tastes quite good to boot. All for only $2.50

Give it a try.

For a fast food burger, Carl's is definitely one of the best out there.

Great thread and posts and will have to put some of these on my list. I had my first bleu cheese burger (called the nuclear reactor burger) in Moab, UT...I believe the place was called the Coyote Grill. Looks like it is gone now but definitely started my fetish for blue cheese burgers. Best ones now (bleu cheese) have been from my grille.

For chains, current fave is 5 Guys (pricey for what it is). Grew up on In-n-Out but have not been able to visit Medford because the line is too long (thanks to other posts for alternatives in the area)!

I fly frequently and my favorite sign is in an airport Carls where the $8 burger...is more than $8.

Thanks all for the suggestions!

Any places local to Salem / Keizer that makes a good burger with egg salad on it? Alternatively fried egg is second to egg salad.

The best burger I've EVER had was at the Outback Steakhouse in Bangkok Thailand.

Had been living off mutton and goat, noodles, scrambled eggs for months crossing Kyrgyzstan/Kazakhstan/Xingjian AR/Tibet AR.

Did have some really good pizza in Nepal though, but smeat was extremely rare, hard to find & hard to "identify"...is it soylent green? Dunno, but I'm really darned hungry...
nancys does.not egg salad but fried egg.

I have not been there for maybe 40 years. The single best burger I have had is the size of a dinner plate. It is a meal in it's self. A little community south of Yakima called Union Gap. The place is called "Miners" burgers next to the Union Gap Mall. I have never seen a burger as big in my entire life.

Wichita Pub used to do a 1lb "Monster Burger" that was really good - ham, egg, lots of other goodies. I never could finish it. I haven't been back in a couple of years, but as I recall, the quality had gone downhill with those burgers - too bad too.

Alf's in McMinnville has the "All Day Burger" which has changed some I guess since inception. Growing up I kept hearing stories of this mythical dinner plate sized 1 lb burger, on a home made bun etc.

When I finally got to eat there for the first time as a teenager, they had stopped doing a single 1 lb patty, on a home made bun. They instead use 2 half pound patties on oversize bakery sesame seed buns.

Toppings are still numerous - ham, fried egg, lettuce, tomato, pickles, onions and cheese. Maybe a couple more I'm forgetting. It's quite a burger.

Last time I took the family there was a couple years ago - I thought my son, who was 2 or 3 at the time, would loooove the monkey. He did not. He freaked the F out and grabbed onto my arm like an anaconda and screamed at the top of his lungs until I moved him to between me & his momma. He did like the ice cream and grilled cheese sandwich though. Maybe now that he's a bit older we'll have to go back, especially since we live a lot closer now than we did back then.

The Scotty Burger from Scotty's here in Forest Grove is another big burger, but I don't think it's a full lb. I think it it's 3/4 - I seem to recall 3 normal size 1/4 lb patties stacked up on a generic bun. It's a decent burger, but I don't understand the rave reviews. I don't find the meat all that well seasoned, the veggies are nothing special, and the bread is likewise nothing that stands out. It's just big, and greasy. Their onion rings are pretty dang good though.

Carl's Jr. is my 2nd favorite fast-food burger next to 5 guys. They probably account for 50 of the extra pounds I'm carrying around. CK Enterprises needs to remove their cranium from their rectal cavity though, and bring back chili cheese fries. That was my favorite side to go with their Super Star w/ Cheese (yeah, hence that extra carriage of mine) and they did away with them. I still have not forgiven them, though I do not boycot them - their burgers kick McDonald's and Burger King in the taint. And for variety, their burritos are dang good fast food burritos.

Currently, my favorites are Killer Burger in the Hollywood district in NE Portland. Believe it or not, I am addicted to their peanut butter burger...go figure. The other place is Mike's Drive In in Oregon City.

I discovered Killer Burger near my downtown Portland office. Already smitten with their Jose Mendoza burger (7-8 times), I met a friend at the one out on Sandy. The place was small and crowded with deafening frantic music. The only 4 unoccupied (wooden picnic) tables were littered with trash from previous diners. Not impressed but in a hurry, we ordered and ate anyway.

Halfway through the meal, my buddy said it was one of the best burgers he'd ever had, with excellent fries and a fine micro-brew. I agreed.

Even a sloppy setting with crappy tunes can't kill a good burger, brew and fries. Still a dedicated customer.

Last Edited:
I have not been there for maybe 40 years. The single best burger I have had is the size of a dinner plate. It is a meal in it's self. A little community south of Yakima called Union Gap. The place is called "Miners" burgers next to the Union Gap Mall. I have never seen a burger as big in my entire life.

They were still there 4-5 years ago, and the burgers were just as big as ever.

Pilot Butte Drive In on the East side of Bend makes some killer hamburgers.
However, my personal favorite burger was the Markum Burger from the Markum Inn in scenic Marquam Oregon. The place burned down a few years back, and they've just recently rebuilt with new owners. Haven't tried out the new place yet. Kind of afraid they'll have spoiled it...

Best I had quantity wise was a Fat Mo's Super Deluxe burger (about 1.7 pounds). Everytime I go to Tennessee I'm obligated to eat at Fat Mo's.

Flavor wise though? It was at a bar up in New Jersey. Don't remember what it was exactly, but I remember them being the only place that actually cooked my burger medium rare.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top