JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Here on Fidalgo, the Brown Lantern. When I am really lucky the have Arrogant Bastard on tap.
Great burger with or with out the stone on tap.

Mmmm. Arrogant bubblegum.:s0114:

Always like their blurb though:
This is an aggressive ale. You probably won’t like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to be able to appreciate an ale of this quality and depth. We would suggest that you stick to safer and more familiar territory–maybe something with a multi-million dollar ad campaign aimed at convincing you it’s made in a little brewery, or one that implies that their tasteless fizzy yellow beverage will give you more sex appeal. Perhaps you think multi-million dollar ad campaigns make things taste better. Perhaps you’re mouthing your words as you read this.
:s0112:

When I get a hankering for a big burger, I always go to Helvetia Tavern. If you go there around lunchtime the line can be really long (as many folks from the immediate area head up there - Intel, etc). But, burger, chips, and a brew is a fine workday lunch. :)

Soy Bean Curd

They add chemicals to it to make it taste like beef so vegetarians can enjoy the taste of beef without eating beef.

Hmmm??? I wonder if they make a hamburger out of beef that they take out the taste of beef, and add Tofu taste to it so meat eaters can enjoy the taste of tofu?
:s0114::s0114:

Wouldnt that be Mc Scarf-n-Barf.. I mean McDonalds?

Effies Tavern in Lewiston Idaho

Must google and stop there this weekend... have to head up that way for my cousin's wedding reception.

Grrr. I'm in town for three days out of every three weeks, and when I finally get an extended period of time home, I get to spend the night in a hotel out of town.

I thought I had posted in here... oh well

Doug's Place. You would never guess, but they have the absolute best burgers in Eugene/Springfield. They're also right off of I-5 and very close to The Barons Den if you're looking for a place to go shooting after lunch.

Doug's Place Restaurant & Catering - Google Maps

I have tried nearly every restaurant in town... this place is the best kept secret around.

What is the name of that chain drive in that we don't much have around the NW? There's one right downtown in The Dalles. If you're going E. on the main drag, it's on your right. In season they have Walla Walla Sweet onion rings, and shakes as various fruit is in season. They also have a variety of really good burgers.

??

Burgerville inconveniently located thruout the PNW!
(my boy cooks at the one in newberg)

other great burgers in oregon...
(some may be out of business, but excellent just the same)

Gem 100 in newberg
Dairy maid in Warrenton
prarie maid in John Day/canyon city
Pheasant cafe in Arlington
Madras truck stop. home of the big ben burger
Pilot butte drive in, already mentioned,but worth the stop
Scotty's in Forest grove
Basco burger in cornelius

two of my old time favorites in Portlandare the Stanich Burger and the Yorgo burger. It's been along time since I have had either.

Bad:
Not surprised that it's been awhile. I loved my first Stanich burger when they were still on Macadam... big and decadent like a burger should be. Went to the remaining NE Portland site last summer and could not have been more disappointed. "Staff" (one gal) was dismissive and the burger was small. Done eating, with empty glasses, we watched her perform janitorial busy-work for 10-15 minutes and finally inquired if she wanted some money or not. And I don't recall asking anyone to desecrate my food with sweet pickle relish. Barf.

Good:
Hardly the best kept secret "mom & pop joint" in town, and not cheap, the Raccoon Lodge makes a fine array of really good burgers - and their own beer too. Pool table in the brew/pub downstairs, and more of an up-scale sports bar type full restaurant topside. Short of a dedicated seafood grille or steakhouse, I can take anyone there, anytime, and listen to positive comments later. Good fries too.

I just recently tried "Little Big Burger" in downtown Portland.
122 Northwest 10th Avenue
Portland, OR 97209

Their burgers taste so yummy and they have amazing fries but they are pretty small burgers (Joey gets two haha)

My fav in Portland by far tho. Very much reminds me of In N Out :D

Near beautiful downtown Glenwood " The Snack Shack " They have a " Hot Stuff " burger that is not only a meal but an Experience... Get the basket as the fries will be nessary for fire prevention. Single or double , pepper jack cheese, jalapenos and an asin [ korean?] sauce YAH BABY, caution they are addictive. Dandy old fashioned shakes too.

I'm sure all of these places make a great Burger but two of the best in the Northwest are missing. On the Historical Register even, in Tacoma is Frisko Freeze. I've been eating burgers there since the 50's. The other burger place is Pik-Quick in Fife, WA. This is as close to a homemade burger you will get and the fires are the best. Right near I-5. Try them out.

Anyone remember Hi-Yu-Hee-Hee in Veneta?

Nowadays, my favorites are the Captain Neon burgers at McMinnemans, but they don't seem to be as good as when I was in college, at Eugene's High Street Cafe.

We should limit this to independent burger joints, Burgerville is good, but you can find them all over the place.
and Five guys is alright, but they're new to the NW right?

I can't believe that no one has mentioned SKYLINE BURGER, It's been around since the 50's and it's like 5mins up in the West Hills of Portland.

Last Edited:
Have not been here very long, but my boss took me to a place called the Helvetia Tavern, it had a pretty awesome burger.

Not a big fan of Five Guys, too expensive for too little. When I lived in San Jose, one opened up across the street from my house, it was always busy.

IMO Burgerville is not bad either but it rates up there with In and Out.

Glad of this thread, being new here (just over 2 months in the Portland/Hillsboro area) I now have a few new destination spots.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top