JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I had this long drawn out post written, but am not going to post it. In short, I'll answer your question by saying there are plenty of used rifles out there in your price range. However, that all depends on your experience as a buyer and the resources you have. Since you live in Virginia, that makes it harder to buy from some of our local places in the PNW that do not offer shipping. One place in particular has a bunch of rifle scope combo's in the $400 ish range and some in the $300 ish range..

What's the 1 place?

Lots of good advice. You're not going to go wrong with the Ruger American. Good rifle.

However savage has them beat.

Get the 10/110 hunter. We bought one in 260 and it's way under an inch at 100 and my kid loves it.

FWIW 6.5cm IS mainstream at this point. If you want to be 100% sure of ammo. 308, 243 or 270. I like 243 for beginning shooters. Loud but easy to shoot

Cabelas has them for $499. They go on sale there for $379. They go lower on Black Friday. I got a 12fv without scope for $319 with a $100 savage rebate for a total on $219.

Last Edited:
There will be a difference if you want to reload or not in factory ammo selection. If you want box ammo availability in stores then basically all cabelas sells is 308 and 223 but if you want to order ammo any one will be fine. Sportsmans warehouse is VERY 270 friendly. A 270win is more then powerful enough to hunt anything. I would choose the 270win over the wsm unless you were wanting to build a 600+ target gun which certainly wouldn't be a budget gun. List of ones I'd accept as accurate, scalable, and great value: 1) Savage FV 2) Ruger American 3) Remington 700 (380 at my Walmart in 270win),
My choice would be the FV or the 700, the FV you wont find in 270 though... You can get these for cheap and build them up and out of the box will be good performers. The axis might be good nowadays but I haven't seen one shoot nor have I read reviews on them. If that's what it takes to get a 270 in your hands then get the axis :)

There will be a difference if you want to reload or not in factory ammo selection. If you want box ammo availability in stores then basically all cabelas sells is 308 and 223 but if you want to order ammo any one will be fine. Sportsmans warehouse is VERY 270 friendly. A 270win is more then powerful enough to hunt anything. I would choose the 270win over the wsm unless you were wanting to build a 600+ target gun which certainly wouldn't be a budget gun. List of ones I'd accept as accurate, scalable, and great value: 1) Savage FV 2) Ruger American 3) Remington 700 (380 at my Walmart in 270win),
My choice would be the FV or the 700, the FV you wont find in 270 though... You can get these for cheap and build them up and out of the box will be good performers. The axis might be good nowadays but I haven't seen one shoot nor have I read reviews on them. If that's what it takes to get a 270 in your hands then get the axis :)

While I really like the 12fv, it is a heavy barreled varmint rifle. I would not suggest that as a good hunting rifle for your typical 12 year old or woman. The rifle I suggested in an earlier post is much lighter and dang near as accurate. It's also a package rifle like the op is asking about. He should check out a trophy hunter XP and see if he likes it.

While I really like the 12fv, it is a heavy barreled varmint rifle. I would not suggest that as a good hunting rifle for your typical 12 year old or woman. The rifle I suggested in an earlier post is much lighter and dang near as accurate. It's also a package rifle like the op is asking about. He should check out a trophy hunter XP and see if he likes it.
Cant disagree. His only FV option would be the 308 I think. I just can't say the words budget and gun together without mentioning it. Pathological. I'd agree with you're first post, especially the win over the wsm.

Cant disagree. His only FV option would be the 308 I think. I just can't say the words budget and gun together without mentioning it. Pathological. I'd agree with you're first post, especially the win over the wsm.
Don't get me wrong, the 12fv is an awesome deal. I recently bought one in 6.5 creedmoor and it is a tack driver. I think it's one of those deals where you actually get more than you pay for..

How do y'all like the 12 fv compared to the ruger American a 6.5 would do the job too
Whichever you can get in 270win is what I'd go with... Load up some RL22 or imr4350 behind a 140gr classic hunter or 150graccubond and you're set. Unless you want small in which case 110vmax. One of my biggest points in seriousness is barrel length and I will always choose the longer heavier barrel and I AM the guy who you'd see on top a mountain in full camo with a 20lb gun. Yes I'd regret it but that wouldn't stop me if the gun is accurate. Both are good choices and 6.5creedmoor is a good chambering if you can get past stereotypes and the fact that it's not the best BR choice for 6.5mm.

The 12fv blows the American away and the RPR frankly. However it isn't what the OP asked for. Too heavy and no scope. However it is indicative of the excellence of Savage rifles.

Just so you are aware, that is the OP asking how we like the 12fv and how it compares to the american. I'll answer his question with the same reply you did. The same thing I said in an earlier post. Too heavy, especially for your typical 12 year old or woman. Keep in mind (OP), this is a long barreled (26") heavy "varmint" rifle. The Savage 12FV weighs in at around 9 pounds, so with even a lighter 3-9x40, it would tip the scales at around 10 pounds. Throw ammo in it and then you are looking at close to 11 pounds. Packing around 11 pounds of long rifle is not going to be fun for junior or the misses...
Just for reference:
09E03O4.jpg

Now, wouldn't a lighter shorter barreled rifle be a better option? Here are some weights to consider:

Savage trophy hunter XP with Nikon 3-9x40: 7 1/4 pounds
Tikka T3x super lite with burris FFII 3-9x40: 6.9 pounds
Ruger American with Vortex 3-9x40: 7 pounds

These 3 rifles share similar features and weigh about the same, sport 22" barrels and are likely going to be very accurate, right out of the box.

From the OP options: Another vote for the 270 win. Better for hunting (antelope, deer, elk), in my opinion and hunting style, to any 308 variant (243, 6.5cm, 7-08). If it is for a child I would consider the 7-08. If it's for a big child (w/long arms) go 270.

I'm researching for my next deer rifle I will get a aftermarket stock but what would you choose a Ruger American or a Savage Axis II I'm between a 270 wsm a 270 or a 6.5 cm let me know your experiences with either good or bad TIA
My experience has shown a '95 Chilean Mauser in 7mm works very well...

Me-Deer-1977_small.jpg

...as for a modern rig, there's so many viable choices, its mind boggling. I suppose you could break it down to the areas you hunt in and the type of shots that would avail themselves to you.
Personally, I've currently got a hankerin' for a 336 in .30-30 with a 1-4X scope...but that's just me.

Dean

View attachment 493481

...as for a modern rig, there's so many viable choices, its mind boggling. I suppose you could break it down to the areas you hunt in and the type of shots that would avail themselves to you.
Personally, I've currently got a hankerin' for a 336 in .30-30 with a 1-4X scope...but that's just me.

Dean
I would have suggested a milsurp rifle, but the price has climbed enough that you can buy a "better" hunting rifle for the same or less.

View attachment 493481

Dean
Dang Dean, Looking at the body size on that buck I am in awe. We just don't see 'em that big much anymore!

Thank you!
That was a record buck from that area (Dewatto, south end of the Hood Canal).
Field dressed at 158 lbs., soooo....175-180 lbs. on the hoof?
Man that thing had a lot of guts! :eek::D
We got 113 lbs. of meat out of that deer.
I heard some old timer bagged a 161 pounder out of that area a couple of years later.
November 12, 1977....about 9am.

I would have suggested a milsurp rifle, but the price has climbed enough that you can buy a "better" hunting rifle for the same or less.
True. That's actually my brother's gun. He got it in the 60's when you could still order them out of the magazines.
I think he paid like $50 for it.

Mauser_1895_Chilean_Bill-13.jpg Mauser_1895_Chilean_Bill-04.jpg
Mauser_1895_Chilean_Bill-01.jpg

...according to what it says on the receiver, it was made before January, 1st, 1897. "C" puts it in the lot between gun # 40,001 and gun # 50,000 (most likely, gun # 40,621). Chances are good it was actually built in 1895.
The sling is not original but the stock is. He cut it down to fit him better.
It weighs right on about 6 lbs. and WILL catch every single low hanging branch in the woods. ;)

Dean

True. That's actually my brother's gun. He got it in the 60's when you could still order them out of the magazines.
I think he paid like $50 for it.

View attachment 493541 View attachment 493542
View attachment 493543

...according to what it says on the receiver, it was made before January, 1st, 1897. "C" puts it in the lot between gun # 40,001 and gun # 50,000 (most likely, gun # 40,621). Chances are good it was actually built in 1895.
The sling is not original but the stock is. He cut it down to fit him better.
It weighs right on about 6 lbs. and WILL catch every single low hanging branch in the woods. ;)

Dean
That's a nice gun, maybe keep it in the blind if you have an issue with it snagging on branches. I know that's why I intend to pick up a new budget rifle instead of battering my pop's milsurp collection. Before they went up, i always figured I would use milsurp for practical purposes, but it seems that was all before my time.

That rifle is beautiful, BTW. I would definitely treasure it.

Thanks. It's one of two Mausers we own and both are real honey's
Re: Blinds.
I'll be nice and just say that if it works for you, great.
Deer hunting on this side of the mountains, in my experience, has been to slug through the salal and let every animal in 50 square miles know you're here, then find an advantageous spot to sit and have a seat (note: always keep an empty bread bag in your back pocket. Good to sit on and if you happen across a patch of Chanterelles, you've got something to put them in).
Things will quiet down in a pretty short time, and, if you're lucky, a deer will wander by in a while...hopefully it has antlers (I always had issues shooting does).
Re: Brush rifles.
Every bolt action, semi-auto and pump, slung over your shoulder, that doesn't feature a Manlicher stock, will have issues with low hanging branches.
It's the relation between the top attaching point of the sling and the end of the barrel.
It sticks way up over your head. My dad got hip to this back in the 70's when he got his 94 lever action. Instead of putting that sling swivel on the forearm, he found one that attached to the barrel and magazine tube, so he butted up against the forward barrel band.
Works like a champ!
Barrel barely sticks up over your shoulder. NEVER catches on anything.
Sometimes the butt drags on the ground, when you're bent over, but that's far less of an issue than trying to unhook your barrel from those grabby tree fingers! :mad:
Low power scope helps you "see" through the brush, too.
...that's why I'm after a 336. I wanna put a 1-4X scope on it. ;)

Dean

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews