JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So here is the context of this question. A buddy and me are playing around with the most fun cheap but fun setup possible. We have lots of "nice" platforms but are taking a step back and going for best cheap setup.

The pistol is a heritage rough rider "tactical cowboy" pistol 22lr/wmr. It comes with a pic rail on it and I picked it up for 150 at bimart. He has same thing to try and accomplish same goal. Something silly, cheap, and able to hit a target.

I'm going to put a silly muzzle brake on it for reasons unknown as well as do some sort of weird duracoat pattern, because why not on a $150 pistol (and I have the paint allready)…

The missing piece is the optic. I want something functional but cheap as possible to align with the expense of the pistol. Does anyone have a suggestion, under the 150 that it cost for the platform? My usual rule is optic costs what firearm cost. Don't want to break that and have never looked in the budget level optics for something like this.

Any suggestions are much appreciated. Help me make this my most affordable and funnest gun possible!

There are plenty cheap but usable RMR's for under $50. Be sure to look through the thing to be sure the "flare" is minimal.

Does it look like a dot or starburst?

You'll thank me later! :)

Dagger Defense DD102R get one thru amazon, or their website its like 40$ max. I've had one on an 80% AR pistol for 2 years that's strictly a range toy, and I built it for the same purpose as what you are going for. its surprisingly held a relative zero so far, despite getting treated like hot garbage and the battery life has been decent.

Thanks for the reply's!

That dagger defense looks like it might be the winner…. It's just a .22lr/wmr so I don't think recoil will be an issue, especially if I put a heavy "tanker" style break on it. The weight alone should negate any recoil.

I don't hate the Romeo 5, have one allready but it seems to be a little "nice" for this setup. The idea is cheap and ridiculous. Probally gonna duracoat it Snow White…. Make it a single action storm trooper blaster…

Anything besides this is the wrong answer.

Screenshot_20220813-125709_Google.jpg

I have 6 of the $12 red dots shown above in use now and none of them have lost zero. Even when used rapid fire on 12 gauge lynx 12. Oldest is about 3-4 years old and has been used on 9mm and 22. Never an issue with any of them and battery life is great.

You might want a micro red dot though being that it's a pistol. Haven't found any miracle excellent quality but dirt cheap ones of those yet though. There is one sold under a gazillion names that is serviceable but not great Imo: aim sports, Ade, I think sig?, vortex, and a bunch of other names that I can't recall. They are all made in China and are nearly identical. Here is the ade green dot next to aim sports red dot. I'm not impressed with them but they are ok for a range gun. The ade one I've use on 556 and 9mm and it hasn't lost zero but I don't really trust it. The $12 red dot honestly I would trust on anything except a go to war type gun (but it isn't micro red dot size).

606A86BB-32D3-4DCF-9E89-19C7823F98A2.jpeg
48F10084-3BF0-4BC8-A00A-AF4262BA71C3.jpeg
Size comparisons on random guns 243028E1-31FC-4EC7-BD92-D0F97EF975A2.jpeg EE8E8530-24F5-4A85-879F-DB56C9BEE6DB.jpeg
CD1D3F9E-36A1-48CF-A017-FBB063D2C86F.jpeg

Last Edited:
I have a few of these from back when they were about $40. Have yet to manage to break one and I am NOT gentle with them. :D
Bought a couple of the cheap mounts bellow. Fist one to try, figuring at that price it had to be junk. Was quite shocked at how well it works. So bought a couple more. Keep the dots on one and then can slap them on any gun. Hold zero close enough to the indoor. For distance it does of course take a couple rounds to get them dead on after moving. So for the cost been super happy with them.

I have 6 of the $12 red dots shown above in use now and none of them have lost zero. Even when used rapid fire on 12 gauge lynx 12. Oldest is about 3-4 years old and has been used on 9mm and 22. Never an issue with any of them and battery life is great.
I've been runnig 2 of those 12 bone jobs as well. 16" AR-47 and AR22LR. Nothing real heavy but same experience. No issues, hold zero and seem to take a beating pretty well. Kinda chunky/clunky, but can't complain and certainly budget friendly.

Many years ago I found a Tru glo red dot in a box of stuff purchased at a yard sale. It was opined at the time to be a 50 dollar or less unit. Just for fun I put it on a pellet pistol and it instantly became the best pest popper In the arsenal for around the home. It still works and still hits on within the 25 or less yards I use it for.
I'm fairly surprised at its longevity and ability. It is also added much to my willingness to scrap old optic prejudices and buy better and smaller for other guns when my eyes wore out. one of which I put on a 22 mag I couldn't hit anything with and also turned it into a serious hitter out to 50 plus yards'
I'm confidant you'll have fun.
IMGP0997.JPG Hand made plastic rail mounts
IMGP0886.JPG this one mounted for me by Tim Copeland

i ended up ordering the Cyelee CT2 Micro shake awake red dot 3 MOA from Amazon. it was on 704 youtube deal of the day. I will let you know what i think of it. I have to wait a couple weeks until my optics plate arrives from Walther.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top